LegacyGT.com

Day time running lights.

[quote name='alpinefun']If anybody knows how to disconnect the annoying DTRL?[/QUOTE] Annoying? I'm sorry but I don't get how DRLs can be annoying. But I do know it seems to be a really sensitive issue for several.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I got mine disabled by subaru. I know a guys who works there and he did it for me without cutting off anything, since I installed HIDs. But since I live in canada and you should have the lights on, so I always keep them on the 1st position, they turn off when I turn the car off anyway.Also In case I have to run away from cops I wouldnt have to worry about them seeing me :P (jk)

Guest *Jedimaster*
How can they annoy you? Can you see them from inside the car? Here's a question: if you willfully disable them then have an accident, might that not factor into who was wrong?

[quote name='fbi012']I dont think daylights should be on all the time, a driver must assest when to turn them on or off, if it's a sunny day, y would u need daylights?[/QUOTE] Oh. MY. God. Thats the POINT!!! To make you more visible to other people! not to light your way on a bright sunshiny afternoon! </thread>

[quote name='RoundBoy']Oh. MY. God. Thats the POINT!!! To make you more visible to other people! not to light your way on a bright sunshiny afternoon! </thread>[/QUOTE] what are you talking about! You're saying that ppl cant see u in daytime if you have no lights?? what are they blind? Only DRL that I think are useful are the ones with sensors, if there's no light they go on, otherwise they just turn off, likfe ford 4 example.

I'm for the DRL's for the safety factor....but here's my problem with them. My previous vehicle had the auto headlight feature that would turn them on & off for me as needed....it was lazy ass paradise back then....never having to fool with the headlight switch. Now, I find my self cruising around in the dark (especially around twilight) with just the DRL's on....not even realizing that my tail lamps are not illuminated. I eventually realize this when I look down to hit a button on my radio to notice there are no buttons lit. I'm sure I will eventually get used to having to turn the headlamps on & off....but right now I think this may be a safety hazard for me. I may unplug them so that I'm forced toggle them.

I disconnected mine so that my Headlight-clearing-mod was worth something. Due to legalities in CT, the blinker lights must be orange... so i bough clear lights that blink orange, unfortuantly the DRL's kept this blinker light on along with the headlights..... hense, my lights still looked stock.... .... as far as safety goes.... who cares, its for looks... thats it. its like...why do i keep the sunroof tilted when its freezing out....because it looks cool... thats it.

[quote name='fbi012']what are you talking about! You're saying that ppl cant see u in daytime if you have no lights?? what are they blind?[/QUOTE] yes, yes they are blind.. that's where it all started from. Some people dont pay attention and they just travel so fast that they think that the oncoming traffic car is a parked car or something, and people sure do a lot of stupid stuff like making a u-turn on a double yellow onto incoming (but slow traffic). What I DONT like about DRLs is that people tend to forget to turn on their lights COMPLETELY (because the DRLs are bright enough to see at night). So at the end, you'll see some idiot guy driving his car without any corner lights (or brake/marker/parking lights on the back of car). A black car in a dark highway driving very slow is very hard to see when you coming up 60+mph behind him and he pulls into your lane without checking his blind spot. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Legacy05GT']its like...why do i keep the sunroof tilted when its freezing out....because it looks cool... thats it.[/QUOTE] haha, I do it cuz of down force, I'll get every bit of downforce that I can get without ruining the looks of my car with a giant aluminum GT/rice wing on the back of my car. ;) Keefe
Keefe

I have to agree that instead of DRL, I would have much prefer the auto headlight. Why do you need Lights in day time? if the driver cannot see the car in bright daylight... that person really should not be driving. Then there are those that never used their headlight... that's right... some people actually drive at night without using headlights, and NO DRL on their car either. This is not a Subaru story, but a DRL story: I remember once I almost hit a Lexus ES300, about 95 to 97 model year. The driver did not use headlights at all, running on DRL, so no light in the back, and her dash light was on because it is on by default, so she is still not aware that no headlight was actually on, only DRL. Very few street lights on the side of freeway, light traffic So I was doing 65MPH and studdenly there is a car in front of me, the Lexus...and going about 55 to 60, the car was also black... good thing I was paying attention to the road, and my headlights do work great... if I was dozing off like some people I have seen... that would have been very bad. Again... I believe Auto Headlight should be more of "safety" feature, then DRL is, but there is no law to require auto headlight, only DRL (in Canada only anyway).

Guest *Jedimaster*
This is really funny shit. Motorcycles and School Buses have run around for years with headlight son to make themselves more visible. Are you guys the same ones pulling the ABS fuses? Hey, here's an idea- why not cut those nasty seat belts out of the car- they ruin the look of the interior :lol:

I don't have an issue with DRL per say. I can see where having your headlights on during daylight could provide an added margin of safety. However, as many have said, you can easily forget to turn your headlights/tail lights on because the DRL's are bright and the dash gauges are lighted. If one does forget, the fact that your tail lights are not on at night, IMO, is a greater safety issue than the margin of safety DRL provides in day light. So if manufactures include DRL, they need to provide night sensors that turn the rest of the lights on at dusk. Xenonk, I guess my wife and I are two of the "idiots" that you make reference to, because, it's happened to both of us. The problem is that we have 3 cars that we all drive, though each others infrequently. My daughters cars lights are completely manual. My wives car is the LGT, and my car has dark sensing lighting. My car also has all the lights come on when the windshield wipers are activated, which I think is a nice safety feature. Because so much of what you do on any given day are mundane routines, you develop conditioned responses; you're in auto-pilot mode for most daily routines. Haven't you ever had a situation where you've been driving a MT, you jump into an AT, and find yourself trying to depress the invisible clutch. My wife and I have agreed to leave the LGT's lights on constantly to avoid this issue. This can't account for my daughter's conditioned response of turning the lights off, but, she drives the LGT really infrequently and because the LGTs lights do turn off automatically when you kill the ignition, she may not be so inclined to reach for the light stick.

Our minivan - Chevy Venture - came with both DRL and Auto Healights. It had the greatest inconvenience in that if you were parked but wanted to keep the engine running (to warm it up or to keep warm), the lights would come on...and I would have to have the parking brake put on. And not just engaging it...I would have had to stop the engine, engage the brake, then turn on the engine. The DRL was fine...but honestly it should be linked to your car the same way the rear lights are...when you put in reverse, they come on...if you put it in drive or 1-5, DRL should turn on. And the automatic headlights...there could be enough light outside and they wouldn't turn off...or it may be daytime and raining and reduced visibility and general ly dark enough to not see my dashboard fxns, and yet no lights. So I unplugged it. And what are you gonna do if you wanna run away from cops ? Or if you're sporting a nice blonde and you're stationary but 'working' the 2nd, 4th and reverse gears on her 'outfit'? Do you need to attract attention ?

[quote name='f1anatic']Our minivan - Chevy Venture - came with both DRL and Auto Healights. It had the greatest inconvenience in that if you were parked but wanted to keep the engine running (to warm it up or to keep warm), the lights would come on...and I would have to have the parking brake put on. And not just engaging it...I would have had to stop the engine, engage the brake, then turn on the engine. The DRL was fine...but honestly it should be linked to your car the same way the rear lights are...when you put in reverse, they come on...if you put it in drive or 1-5, DRL should turn on. And the automatic headlights...there could be enough light outside and they wouldn't turn off...or it may be daytime and raining and reduced visibility and general ly dark enough to not see my dashboard fxns, and yet no lights. So I unplugged it. And what are you gonna do if you wanna run away from cops ? Or if you're sporting a nice blonde and you're stationary but 'working' the 2nd, 4th and reverse gears on her 'outfit'? Do you need to attract attention ?[/QUOTE]I apologize if you are handi-enabled... but are you really *that* out of tune with your cars? Need to have automatic headlights?? Is it THAT much of a hassle to turn them on manually? Its night time... do you forget you need headlights? I have NEVER forgoten to turn on headlights... its just something ingrained because i am a responsible driver. Daytime running lights are more the norm then not. and if you need lights to come on whenever the CAR feels they should be... then maybe you would like a car that decides you are going too fast (or too slow) and adusts speed for you?? I am sorry, but a small but signifigant number of posts across many topics just baffles the mind. Are you people serious about this stuff ? I think its time to quit the internet.... oh.. and PLEASE: </thread>

You notice vehicles with their headlights on during the day because that [i]isn't[/i] the norm - it's different. Your brain picks up the difference and alerts you to the unusual situation. As soon as the majority of cars have their lights on during the day, they'll become the norm and will no longer stand out as unique. Then what will we do? Require all cars to run strobe lights? That'd make them stand out too, until all cars have strobes... If you don't notice the 2 ton vehicles on the road before you pull out, you have no business behind the wheel. Cars can't trick you - they're going to be on that paved stretch called the "road". They aren't hiding behind trees waiting to surprise you.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='John M']You notice vehicles with their headlights on during the day because that [i]isn't[/i] the norm - it's different. Your brain picks up the difference and alerts you to the unusual situation. [/QUOTE] John- usually your posts are well thought out and intelligent, but that statement was purely ridiculous. You see the lights because they're on. Not because everyone elses are off.

I was one of those idiots running with only the DRL's on last night. I didn't know the rear lights didn't come on untill I was 40 miles away from home and a truck started flashing me from behind. I felt stupid. I just assumed the rears were on. Good luck I didn't cause an accident. It was my first time driving the car at night. I just got the car and love it.

Archived