LegacyGT.com

Daily Driver suspension needs ?

I am just looking for a valid opinion on what suspension components work well with my lgt.

I was thinking about the AVO underbody brace kit along with the AVO front and rear endlinks, AVO RSB mount,AVO Camber Adjustment Bushings, along with any brand front and rear tower braces.

I was also browsing the sway bar kits as I would like to avoid such pricing that you endure when buying individual bars.

I would like to have the luxury of EDFC but it seems out of the bidget at the moment, that being said would pinks suit my needs or some other cheaper coilover ?

Any input would be great.

As many of you will discover I posted quite a few threads pertaining to advice on other parts.

I am in the USAF currently and have nothing better to do than spend money on my beloved legacy gt. So I need a few suggestions before I blow wads of money on unnessasary parts.

I am just looking for a valid opinion on what suspension components work well with my lgt.

I was thinking about the AVO underbody brace kit along with the AVO front and rear endlinks, AVO RSB mount,AVO Camber Adjustment Bushings, along with any brand front and rear tower braces.

I was also browsing the sway bar kits as I would like to avoid such pricing that you endure when buying individual bars.

I would like to have the luxury of EDFC but it seems out of the bidget at the moment, that being said would pinks suit my needs or some other cheaper coilover ?

Any input would be great.

As many of you will discover I posted quite a few threads pertaining to advice on other parts.

I am in the USAF currently and have nothing better to do than spend money on my beloved legacy gt. So I need a few suggestions before I blow wads of money on unnessasary parts.

Forget the braces. They provide only bling. Absolutely get matched F&R sways, and if you add COs install a roll center kit(whiteline):)

Caster bushings would also be a good mod.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Here is my thread on my LGT Wagon that I DD (30k miles a year) and do track days with (2k+ a year). As the previous poster said, forget the strut tower braces they are purely bling.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109651

I really like the Whiteline products and have had real good luck with them. The Pinks + Konis also are phenominal for a DD.

-mike

similar thread here as well:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111003

most people recc sway bars first up to control the roll a bit better.

i kinda agree that the underbody braces aren't really the way to go, considering the trade off with NVH on your DD. and strut bars don't do a whole lot except for looking awesome when you pop the hood, haha.

For a DD most likely anything besides sways, endlinks, and a good set of springs is overkill. The handling difference just from those three parts combined is quite honestly epic. I went from stock to 22mm Perrin sways+endlink set to Cobb springs in addition to that. Each step put a gigantic smile on my face. I imagine I'll be smiling again once I ditch the RE92's for summer tires. ;)

I have tein flex coilovers, front and rear progress sways and front and rear gtspec strut tower bars (the strut tower bars did make a slight difference, I installed them after the coilovers and sways). I daily drive my car daily and the ride is good, handling is imaculate, and it is extremely stable and handles excellent on autox days.

Thanks for the advice guys I will definitely consider the many options you have provided thus far.

Also as far as coilovers go is tein on the top ?

No KW coilovers are much better then Tein. You still retain the great feel of comfort with these coilovers

So how is EDFC used on tein's coilovers ? is their any way to mod each corner of the EDFC to be compatible with another coilover ? I would imagine its some mounting holes that would make EDFC only compatible with certain tein coilovers

Well the EDFC is like mounted on the top of where you adjust the damping force of the coilover basically u stick the motor in the whole to match up the hex shape and you twist it on. As of making the EDFC work on a different coilover I am not too sure the adjusting shape maybe different and the thread size maybe smaller or larger

Just remember to check out the rebuild schedule on coilovers. Like most race equipment the rebuilding every year or 2 on coilovers usually make them a poor choice for a DD.

-mike

No KW coilovers are much better then Tein. You still retain the great feel of comfort with these coilovers

maybe for comfort, but tiens are a better performance coilover. tien are much stiffer and better for track/autox.

Just remember to check out the rebuild schedule on coilovers. Like most race equipment the rebuilding every year or 2 on coilovers usually make them a poor choice for a DD.

-mike

For a DD most likely anything besides sways, endlinks, and a good set of springs is overkill. The handling difference just from those three parts combined is quite honestly epic. I went from stock to 22mm Perrin sways+endlink set to Cobb springs in addition to that. Each step put a gigantic smile on my face. I imagine I'll be smiling again once I ditch the RE92's for summer tires. ;)

Listen to these guys. Get over the bling of coilovers. Get yourself a good set of springs and struts with a matched set of sway bars (and links just in case). Everything else is optional from there.

^I know. but in lamens terms. a stiffer spring/strut controls weight transfer better and thus is better suited for competition. this is true in the case of kw v1 vs. tien flex, but ther is def more to it that this. setup/valving/ride height/tires/alignment/ect... all play a big role.

So how is EDFC used on tein's coilovers ? is their any way to mod each corner of the EDFC to be compatible with another coilover ? I would imagine its some mounting holes that would make EDFC only compatible with certain tein coilovers

I looked into mating Tein's EDFC to a set of HKS Hipermax coilovers years ago. The EDFC motor has a hex shaped rod connected to a motor that turns the adjustment screw on each coilover. The toughest part is finding an adjustment screw with a hex shaped hole for the rod to go into that is deep enough to 'accept' the rod when the valve is opened for the softest setting. The hole had to be 3-4 mm deep for my particular setup.

I looked into mating Tein's EDFC to a set of HKS Hipermax coilovers years ago. The EDFC motor has a hex shaped rod connected to a motor that turns the adjustment screw on each coilover. The toughest part is finding an adjustment screw with a hex shaped hole for the rod to go into that is deep enough to 'accept' the rod when the valve is opened for the softest setting. The hole had to be 3-4 mm deep for my particular setup.

So did it eventually work ?

If so where can I find such an adjustment screw ?

Also is it complicated to rebuild a coilover ?

So did it eventually work ?

If so where can I find such an adjustment screw ?

Also is it complicated to rebuild a coilover ?

Most of the time you send it back to the manufacturer to rebuild them. IIRC.

-mike

I've assisted in rebuilding a few sets of shocks in my life. There is no way your going to pull it off without access to a professionally tooled shop and quite a bit of skill, patience and knowledge. I used to feel so baaad :( when I had to ask my mechanic to rebuild the shocks on my race quad (and it was free) that I twice paid the manufacturer to do it so he wouldnt have to. Plus I didnt have to help that way either. It can take forever to get all the oil back in and bleed any air that might have got in. Depending on the design you would be surprised by how many shims are in them as well. Not really something the average (mechanically inclined) joe can do in his garage.

Archived