LegacyGT.com

CV or Hub?

Hey guys trying to decide if I need to replace the hub or cv joint/axle on my '08 legacy. I hear what I can only describe as a rotational binding/clunking/knock when going slow(10mph and under) and straight. I can feel it in the floorboard if I slip my foot under the clutch pedal when rolling slowly.

It doesn't click when I have the wheels locked in either direction or make any whining or grinding noise at speed, however the car seems to be a little squirrelly at around 80mph.

:confused:

I'm betting a hub. If you can get under the car, you may try and move the CV and axle and see if it feels loose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm leaning towards CV because when I had it up on a lift 2 weeks ago before this noise popped up, I shook the front wheels left/right and up/down, no play or weird noises when spun freely. The CV joint boots are intact, but I neglected to check for any play in them at the time =(

Would worn CV's cause high speed shimmy?

They can create a wobble at high speeds when pressing on the accelerator. Usually, the wobble will go away once you let off the gas.

But it's really noticeable. You can tell something is not right. I have felt that at like 40mph.

A shimmy, do you mean like wheels out of balance ? That is wheel bearing. My car did have a shimmy at 72-75mph. With the new front hub, that has stopped.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Well I'll just change both while I'm at it. lol

When I say "squirrelly" or "shimmy" (sorry for using vague, relative terms) I mean when I'm cruising at say 75mph or so it feels like I'm driving on a windy day and the car is being pushed to the left or right for half second or so. I don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal.

I'm thinking bearing based on that. The bearing holds the the wheel tight, if it's warn and has play it will allow the tire to move around.

Right ?

I'm thinking bearing based on that. The bearing holds the the wheel tight, if it's warn and has play it will allow the tire to move around.

Right ?

Sounds about right. But everytime I've heard a bearing go its usually a constant noise. Not just at certain speeds. Thats the only reason i'm unsure on it.

When my fronts have gone, I only heard the nosie at highway speeds, sometimes and felt like the wheel balance was off on different pavement on the highway.

The other day it was about 60mph going down hill, I could hear a noise from the right front. On the exit ramps, big sweeping turns, didn't hear the noise change any.

The car did feel loose the other day driving home. I made the choice not to drive the car until I got he new bearing. When I got home the UPS guy had dropped off the hub assembly.

When I got the new hub installed, the car felt tighter in the highway. No more small vibration, like wheel balance at speed.

When my fronts have gone, I only heard the nosie at highway speeds, sometimes and felt like the wheel balance was off on different pavement on the highway.

The other day it was about 60mph going down hill, I could hear a noise from the right front. On the exit ramps, big sweeping turns, didn't hear the noise change any.

The car did feel loose the other day driving home. I made the choice not to drive the car until I got he new bearing. When I got home the UPS guy had dropped off the hub assembly.

When I got the new hub installed, the car felt tighter in the highway. No more small vibration, like wheel balance at speed.

How many times have you had to do bearings on your car?

I have one left to do. The right rear.

Jan 2011, left front.

April 2012 left rear.

2 days ago right front.

I will do the right rear before winter. I have the part in the shed ready just in case. I also have a KD tools slide hammer to get the rear out. That came from Tooltopia.com last night.

No Moog. The left front was replaced by a garage, not sure what they used.

But I'm having a issue with the right front from the other day. See the thread about CC light flashing. I have no CEL codes.

I got the rear on line from Advance Auto Parts for $102 shipped. I paid $114 for the left rear at the store last month.

I have posted that in the DIY wheel bearing thread.

FYI, FWIW, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/blinking-cc-no-cel-188044.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-wheel-bearing-diy-walkthrough-86994.html

That's what I'd believe too, but that wheel is solid. And like I said, no grinding or whirring noises that get louder at speed. Just that grabbing/binding clunk I can feel at below 10mph.

Well I can only get the axles for this weekend, so I'll update tomorrow afternoon.

FWIW, I had the GF step on the brake pedal while I put a 4ft pipe on my 1/2 breaker bar and the 32mm socket to break the axle nut loose.

Good Luck,

both cv and hub

No, you have to pick one, this is not a "everybody wins" type of thing like kids sports.

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update: Dealership had my car for 3 days and could not replicate problem. =/ The noise was real bad on saturday morning, so I dropped it off on sunday. Picked the car up the morning and haven't heard it yet. Car being shy I guess. wth?

Drive next to a building witht he window down and see if you can hear anything. Drive in circles and listen for noises. The sound should echo off the wall.

I still say hub/bearing.

Yeah I may just have to do it myself. Understandably the dealership cant just go throwing parts at the car and send the bill to the warranty company without actually having a defective/broken part.

Thanks for your input man, I appreciate it.

If your not really sure which hub it is...you may want to wait until your sure.

As long as you don't need to car for a long drive. You should here more noise all the time as it gets closer to failing. These things can make noise for a very long time before they go.

I had my left rear last for about 8,000 miles before I finally figured out what the whine was in the tranny on my 05 wagon.

They are hub assemblies, check out m sprank's web site under oem parts. He has a good price on them.

Subaru Legacy GT Front Wheel Bearing

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-938/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Front/Detail

Sorry to jump in but I'm replicating same problem almost exactly. I only hear clunk/light squeak when going over even the slightest changes in road grade. Doesn't have to even be bad but any dip in road and it will clunk.

What I know

-driver end link bad

-pass sway bar bushing bad

-leak on pass side of axle.

What should I put money to first? Buying new axle and bearing/hub assembly since it seems more important? Or just axle over bearing since I don't necessarily know if bearing is bad. I suppose I can return parts if I don't need them and it would be better to have all while car is apart.

Thoughts? Thanks guys.

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

Archived