LegacyGT.com

Custom intake

Alright I am building a custom intake for my 99 GT. I am using silicone hoses from siliconeintakes.com. Ill post a bunch of pic of the install and final product. Let me know what you think. This is just a crappy cell phone pic but this is the piece that will go from the throttle body to the maf.

Jump to page 4 post #54 for the intake results.

Intake.thumb.jpg.20b3bb8622b8ada8bc84aa63c89e2207.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. The filter will be 4inch then the maf is 3 then it will go back to 4 down to 3 down to 2.5 at the throttle body. Yeah I was inspired by passwordjdm intakes. They pretty much make the best intakes so I figured I would use a tapered design like theirs.

• I Donated
Looks nice but good luck getting it to work as it sits in the picture. You need to have the line going to the IAC and whatnot. I tried making something like yours with leftover intercooler piping. Car wouldn't run without the other lines hooked into it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

O for sure. I have a plan for that. It would run like $hit without the vacuum lines. I made that mistake a long time ago with another car. Im going to use threaded plastic joiners to hook up the IAC, pcv, and... the other one cant remember what its for lol.

• I Donated
Yeah stupid me....I didn't think of that when I did my intake. I got frustrated and gave up....I was too lazy to put any more effort into it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You could use this for the PCV lines? Maybe just trim back the silicone if you need to at the top joint and slip this in with some fittings and you'll have 3 spots to tap into.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=1232&osCsid=8cdde618405389f53ed019c94a527338

I'm piecing an intake together now! Lol...

Isn't the throttle body a 2.75" diameter? And what is the benefit of the 4" section as opposed to just 3" all the way through?

The benefit is increased air velocity. Because the air has nowhere to go it has to speed up to go through the intake.

You could use this for the PCV lines? Maybe just trim back the silicone if you need to at the top joint and slip this in with some fittings and you'll have 3 spots to tap into.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=1232&osCsid=8cdde618405389f53ed019c94a527338

I'm piecing an intake together now! Lol...

Not a bad idea. Post a pic when you get it together.

I can see that the smaller tubing would be more restrictive but having that small 4" bubble in there seems like it would create turbulence right there as opposed to having a smooth single diameter where the air isn't expanding and then mixing back together. I'm no scientist that was just my observation so i thought I'd question it.

I didn't say it would suck. I'm sure it will work. I hope you have fun with the project... I don't mean to come off so condescending... but funneling air through smaller tubing to increase velocity is counterproductive. The idea of an intake is to filter air as freely as possible. For a given volumetric flow, smaller tubing will increase velocity, but increased velocity results in increased wall friction generating an unecessary loss.

In the end it isn't worth arguing over b/c that loss is insignificant. The biggest loss from an intake is the pressure drop across the filter itself which is - I'd guess - at least an order of magnitude greater than the drop caused by wall friction or bends in piping.

lol

I wasn't making fun of anyones intake design believe me! I have just never seen a design like that which is why I asked the question. If it is a proven design then that's awesome! I just had never heard of that before. I'm gonna go ahead and try this same setup probably towards the spring.

Wtf are you talking about? Why do you want higher velocity? Smaller tubing = more restrictive ... period.

Yeah smaller is more restrictive. I didnt make the tubing smaller I made it bigger. I am limited to the size of the throttle body of the car.

Here's a custom intake for you...

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Funnels/poflf.htm

Increases velocity!!!

That is obviously too small of an opening to fit over the throttle body.

I didn't say it would suck. I'm sure it will work. I hope you have fun with the project... I don't mean to come off so condescending... but funneling air through smaller tubing to increase velocity is counterproductive. The idea of an intake is to filter air as freely as possible. For a given volumetric flow, smaller tubing will increase velocity, but increased velocity results in increased wall friction generating an unecessary loss.

In the end it isn't worth arguing over b/c that loss is insignificant. The biggest loss from an intake is the pressure drop across the filter itself which is - I'd guess - at least an order of magnitude greater than the drop caused by wall friction or bends in piping.

You implied it would suck by you rude statements. Then when someone came along with an intelligent response you tried to save yourself with science.

Now im not an expert. But I dont know why wall friction would matter at all because the increase in velocity is still greater than the friction it creates. Otherwise how could you ever increase flow?

Also this design isnt mine. Professionals do it all the time. The aem v2 intake has a staggered design. The password jdm intakes a huge "bubble" in their intakes. I was simply inspired by there design. I dont know what intake your comparing mine to but if you think this will not outperform the stock intake than you seriously need to rethink that.

Now for my explanation of making an intake to "increase velocity"

The idea behind my theory is that there is a greater amount of air in the larger chamber of the intake and it is then compressed to fit into the smaller chamber resulting in the air speeding up.

As far as adding more flow I am again limited simply by what the throttle body can flow itself. The most I can do is allow it to reach the maximum flow under the highest velocity. The increase in velocity simply allows for more pressure to be put on the intake valves upon opening. Increasing power at a point when the engine could have used more air but it was not available. I dont know when that is but likely above 3K rpm.

As another note this concept can be applied to exhaust only in reverse.

Unfortunately this design is more beneficial with higher revving cars like the Honda S2K. But I figured I would give it a try on the legacy to see if it worked well. Also because there is so much extra air sitting in the intake over stock throttle response will likely be greatly increased.

And as a final note I am really doing this as an experiment. Im not expecting any miracle amount of hp out of it. I just figured if I was going to make a custom intake I would make the best one I could. I have probably used larger piping than is needed but that is simply there was no cost difference in doing so.

An update.

Got the filter and the maf adapter in. Just need to get some good adapters for the vacuum lines. I have to work for the next couple days and my GT is having one of its coolant hoses tightened and the thermostat replaced so I hope to have it done by next week. Anyway here is a quick pic.

0105011707.thumb.jpg.673635c1a4541757d925bf1846d2d3c9.jpg

Archived