LegacyGT.com

Cusco F/R Lower Arm Bar/Braces Review...

inthedeck

Well, I finally had the Cusco Lower arm bars installed, both front and rear. Although some may be 'technical' enough to do this by themselves, I would not recommend it, if you are not sure what to do. Even with jackstands/ramps this would be a fairly difficult procedure. Again, some may disagree, but to me, having a lift is definately worth it here...as it makes things MUCH simpler. The front is much easier/less time consuming than the rear...but, that's just MHO.

The rear install -- you need to take off the nuts from the toe-centric bolts. Mine were REALLY tight, and the tech who installed them needed to use some serious force to pry the nuts loose. Then, there are a couple of other bolts that attach to the control arm, that also need to be removed. Once those are out, there's one last one, that is perpendicular to the ground, which also needs to be removed. Once all are out, put the bars in, and tighten everything back up, and torque as necessary.

The front install -- you take off the 'plate' which requires two bolts, and one nut to be removed, from each side, as there are two plates. Then, you will have to take out one other bolt on each side, which holds the control arm in place. Put the new plates on, the new bar in, with assoc. washers, and you are good to go. Tighten it all back up, and torque as necessary.

Impressions -- I feel that the car is a lot more stable, but also much more 'aware' of the input. Taking corners has a nice tight feel to it. Taking banked turns, or rotaries is much easier. Can't say much for 'body roll' as this doesn't really help that...springs/etc. will. The car does stay more planted, and the steering wheel is definately more responsive than it was before. You don't need to turn it as much, going around a familiar turn...you just point it, and it goes. As for the rear, taking a right hand banked turn, even the passengers will notice that the car is planted, and isn't 'lifting' as much as it used to. At least that's what my friend in the back told me...as he was grinning ear to ear -- :D

NVH -- well, haven't really been driving a whole heck of a lot, but from what I have driven (I-95, NYC -- Broadway, FDR, 1st ave., Bruckner Expwy, etc) -- it's there, but no where near as jarring as I thought it would be. Quite livable, if you ask me...I rather like it. The GF did not mind it, and I doubt she barely noticed it, so it's GF/WIFE Approved -- :D as far as I am concerned.

Apologies for not having pics, it was raining all week here, in NY, so I didn't feel like taking pics -- there are some in other threads. I did have a slight issue, with everything not being tight enough...so went back today, and had it tightened up this morning. Now, everything is all nice and snug...so make sure that you get it torqued to spec. There's another couple of threads that make this known...so search.

Ask any questions...I will be more than happy to answer. I am not a professional race car driver, nor do I pretend to be one. These are solely my opinions, and what I feel is what I am able to tell. I can definately feel that the steering response is totally nice, my steering wheel seems to be back to center, for the most part, and I did not need an alignment...as the marked points on the toecentric bolts were exactly at the same position, once everything was tightened up in the rear of the car.

LINKS:

Reference this for the f/r underbraces and torque specs (check also pg 2, post 13..thanks Keefe)... http://www.legacygt.com/forums/show...endlinks+torque

and here for other technical information (from other threads within) and pictures from PGT! http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17589

Enjoy...and good luck.

i.

EDIT: Oh, and I paid 75 bucks for the install...from a mechanic that works about 5 minutes away....just FYI.

Welcome you are. I am sure that you will like the feel, once they are put in. I know I do. It is becoming more and more cumbersome, for me at least, to save up for coilovers. I am thinking of going the Cusco route, here as well. Their products are very nice, and fit/finish is awesome. Now, to start a collection for some C/O's, and rims/tires. Then, suspension should be done. Then, onto bigger/better brakes and rotors...though the bobcats and lines are fine for now.

Later,

i.

Nice writeup,,Just to add ,,,I had the Cusco lower arm bars on my WRX and my STi,they made a nice difference,,you could almost consider them strut braces fr the bottom of the suspension F&R,,,,def worth the price of admission.

Rudy

Thanks inthedeck. I hope to get mine in pretty soon. This thread did nothing but tell me that I will get the results I'm looking for.:)

No Prob. I would almost guesstimate that the NA Leg's will notice an even more marked improvement...though I am not sure. It makes logical sense...given the outright suspension differences.

Nonetheless, good luck, and post up, when you get them on. Would be nice to hear from a NA leg. owner how these hold up.

i have the front (didn't put them on yet) but does the rear lower arm bar actually stiffen the chassis, because in the descriptions it just says "The Type II lower arm bar is made of tubular aluminum to help reduce weight over the stock bracing without compromising strength."

No Prob. I would almost guesstimate that the NA Leg's will notice an even more marked improvement...though I am not sure. It makes logical sense...given the outright suspension differences.

Nonetheless, good luck, and post up, when you get them on. Would be nice to hear from a NA leg. owner how these hold up.

I am sure that there will be more of a difference in performance, as I have not gotten any sway bars yet. Mine are smaller than the GTs stock by the way...but I do have coilovers, so any minor changes might not be noticeable, as I am not a seasoned autoxer or even that great of a driver, as far as experience goes; If I notice some real changes, there must be some really significant hcanges. haha. I am confident that the turn-in like you have mentioned, will improve, and I was expecting this from the reading done on the other threads. I'm short on time during the wkends, so these get pushed back further and further, along w/ a few other things I need to get on.:)

i have the front (didn't put them on yet) but does the rear lower arm bar actually stiffen the chassis, because in the descriptions it just says "The Type II lower arm bar is made of tubular aluminum to help reduce weight over the stock bracing without compromising strength."

Yes, I believe that it does, since you are adding the two bars, on each side, that weren't there to begin with. As a result, it will cause less 'flex' during side to side motion...as I have been led to believe. This will also keep you out of the alignment shop...as there is less flex in the rear. I can tell it's made a difference, as the rear tires don't 'move' around as much, during on/off ramps.

I am sure that there will be more of a difference in performance, as I have not gotten any sway bars yet. Mine are smaller than the GTs stock by the way...but I do have coilovers, so any minor changes might not be noticeable, as I am not a seasoned autoxer or even that great of a driver, as far as experience goes; If I notice some real changes, there must be some really significant hcanges. haha. I am confident that the turn-in like you have mentioned, will improve, and I was expecting this from the reading done on the other threads. I'm short on time during the wkends, so these get pushed back further and further, along w/ a few other things I need to get on.:)

Yeah, I hear ya there...took me about 2 months to have these installed. I did the f/r swaybars with a friend of mine...and then, these have waited since then. By the way, what kind of coilovers do you have? I think the right front spring/strut in my car is not doing so well...and I know they won't fix it under warranty...especially with the swaybars and braces under there...unless the dealer is mod friendly (hard to find close to where I live, in NY). By the way, if you want the stock swaybars from the GT, let me know. I have them, plus all the rubber bushings...willing to hook you up, if you want, and the price is right.

I'm running the KSport coilovers. I have them set to about ~60% front and a lil firmer in the rear. I definately need tires w/ shorter sidewalls though. I've got the 50 series tires on my car.:rolleyes: OH well. Anyway, thanks for the offer on the sway bar, but I'm going to be ordering up a Cusco rear pretty soon. I havent decided if I want the front. If ya have any questions bout the coilovers, feel free to PM me. I dont want to take this thread too far off, even though this is pretty related.:)

I am putting on my CUSCO front and rear lower braces tomorrow. Other then marking the rear toe bolts is there anything to keep in mind?

Can I do the install on car ramps? or does the car have to be on jackstands?

Jackstands, for sure. Otherwise, if you know someone with a lift, definately use it. It's gonna be a pain to get those rear toe-centric bolts loose...especially since they are REALLY tight on there.

I installed the front and rear swaybars, with some help, and using ramps, but the front and rear braces...that was a whole other story. Probably would have taken me a LONG time to do, if I didn't have access to a lift, and some power tools. Good luck, though...

I am confused by your post. I got new bolts that I used in the rear. I used all factory bolts in the front.

Could you be more specific, it sounds like you are describing 6 washers and not 4.

Sorry about the confusion.

With the two bars in the rear, the square part of the longer bar attaches to the toecentric bolts, then, the two bars meet up, and the last bar attaches to the car (via a bolt that is perpendicular to the ground). The new bolt, which is longer, will take one washer on each side (the side of the head, and the side of the nut). Then, you bolt that back up. At least that is what I can remember, off hand.

Take a look at this picture...in post five of this thread...the second picture with the LEFT bars. I put the washer between the black bolt, that ties the two bars together. That uses up two washers, on each side (l/r).

Thread -- : http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17589

Hope that the pictures help a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Will installing just the front lower arm bars negatively affect the handling in some way? I'm mostly looking to tighten up the front end and to improve the steering feel, so unless the rear ones are really necessary, I would prefer to skip them.

Nothing wrong with installing fornt only, can only help.

The rear is what needs it most IMO, it has the most flex.

If anything I would just do the rear, but why not do them all? Rallitek gave me a good deal.

Archived