LegacyGT.com

Crush Washer Orientation

Oil threads are so 2006...

When you install a new crush washer, does the flat side so against the oil pan or the oil plug?

And what are the ramifications if you install it the wrong way?

I will now sit back and wait for rao, JoeFromPA and a raft of noobs...not necessarily in that order.

It is still ugly.

untrue, there have been countless accounts of people who re-use crush washers reporting stripping the threading on their pan, minus the spec.B's of course (so I have no need to worry), but for the lesser LGT owners that account for the majority of this site I was reporting to their standards.

According to who? As long as you don't tighten the crap out of it and it doesn't leak there's no reason for anything to need replacing.

I have stopped counting the cars that come in with a re-used crush washer and there is oil leaking/seeping from the plug. It doesn't always happen, but it certainly can.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I thought the reason for the crush washer was to have a reference point for the torque being applied to the drian plug when you tighten it...it crushes, you stop tightening.

I assume I am wrong.

It is still ugly.

Plus no one has given an opinion on my original question...flat side or rounded side towards the plug?

definitely answered that 2nd post

Oil threads are so 2006...

When you install a new crush washer, does the flat side so against the oil pan or the oil plug?

And what are the ramifications if you install it the wrong way?

I will now sit back and wait for rao, JoeFromPA and a raft of noobs...not necessarily in that order.

^ lol I put the flat side against the plug, can't see it making an real difference either way though since it's meant to be crushed

I use a high pressure vacuum and suck it all out through the fill hole/cap.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Flat side against the bolt head....

But seriously man, you shouldn't even use a washer. The only way to keep your car running clean is to let it drip about a quart a day, and top it off. This is a constant well-spring of oily freshness for your car.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Archived