LegacyGT.com

Crappy Wood Trim??

vicmarsal

lol thats so funny stclark...I did the same exact thing...same color too.

What did you use to make the fabric stick. Did you try anything else with the microsuede? I also did my center armrest, and some pieces on the rear doors.

Probably not the finished version, I want to test it out for the winter before I do anything permanent.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/jjbhoops/IMG_1073.jpg

stoplightassasin thats pretty nice how easy was it to remove/install the the piece in front of the the window switch? I wanted to do that part but not brave enough to take apart. I used 3m super77+ spray glue. Adhere's real good and if you change your mind the glue comes off with hot water and dish soap.

It actually requires the most work to get to that little trim piece. It's probably only about ~20 minutes for disassembly and another ~20 for reassembly. It is a very tight fit with the fabric on there. In the springtime I am just going to take off the fabric and paint it matte black.

I was going to try that spray on adhesive but people weren't sure about how it would hold up in the extreme summer heat and also the winter cold. I used a tacky fabric glue but so far I'm kind of unhappy with the results (I'm a bit anal about my car :lol:). The cold weather makes the fabric constrict.

Anyways, when I saw this thread I remembered I promised another member I'd make a walk through for taking apart the door panel. Now that I remembered, I'll get on that asap b/c I know there's a few people unhappy with the faux wood trim.

I was going to try that spray on adhesive but people weren't sure about how it would hold up in the extreme summer heat and also the winter cold.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about I would suggest not using. It leaves a very tacky film on stuff and it impossible to removed but doesn't stick well enough to keep things in place in the heat...trust me I've tried twice.

Eric

so this is proof that the small pices in front of the window switches are removable from the door panel?

If I could buy just these parts I'd have the entire wood trim replaced/dipped in a better looking faux trim.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Well technically yes they are removable, but they will never go back together like the factory assembled it. You have to burn little rubber/plastic rivets to get the pieces apart. To rebuild everything I actually used quarter inch wood screws and washers. Yes it's kinda ghetto, but obviously you'll never be able to see the screws. I'll post up some pics this weekend so you guys can see what I'm talking about. There is an added bonus...the doors I've done this on no longer have that Subaru clunk!

You know that you can also buy aftermarket dash kits to cover some of the faux wood trim.

Some of the better brands even include pieces that cover the trim on the doors.

Plus if you are rich you can buy some of the K-2 interior parts in real carbon fiber that replace some of the parts.

subaru clunk? :confused: My doors sound like a refrigerator closing. (w/o rattling bottles in the door shelves :lol: )

Why cant we just buy these parts individually? I can melt plastic rivets back on there I'm sure..

You CAN buy kits but they are adhesive backed.. I refuse to put colored sticky paper on my doors. If it were a kia that'd be one thing.. but i like to think my car is a higher quality product and above colored sticky paper. (no offense to anyone with these kits.. thats just how I feel.)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I am very interested in seeing how you managed to do this. I would love to carbon fiber all my ugly faux wood trim eventually in my car.

My buddy did this on his 2.0t Audi avant wagon and it looks great. He removed all the pieces and sent them to a guy who overlays carbon fiber on trim pieces. After he got them back they still installed and fit perfectly This route was much much cheaper than buying the carbon fiber trim kit that Audi sells.

Well technically yes they are removable, but they will never go back together like the factory assembled it. You have to burn little rubber/plastic rivets to get the pieces apart. To rebuild everything I actually used quarter inch wood screws and washers. Yes it's kinda ghetto, but obviously you'll never be able to see the screws. I'll post up some pics this weekend so you guys can see what I'm talking about. There is an added bonus...the doors I've done this on no longer have that Subaru clunk!

Archived