LegacyGT.com

Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield

Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield $44.95 at DetailCity.com

I wanted to take a minute and review a great product that I use. It is getting to be that time of year when the ice scrapers are being put away and the sunshades are being dusted off. I recently got my Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield out of the closet and put it back in my car. I use this heat shield for three very good reasons:

1. It is going to last years longer than your average sunshade. Even longer than the above average ones.

2. It blocks UV rays that can ultimately damage your dash and leather seats. It also blocks an enormous amount of heat making it cheaper to cool my car down when I have left if parked in the sun for any amount of time. At $3 bucks a gallon I'd say anything that can do that helps a ton and is worth having.

3. It fits my car better than any other sunshade I've ever used. I've tried to get around paying for something that works the best, but I've always been disapointed. They are either just a bit too long or a bit too short or a bit too tall... The Covercraft UVS100 literally fits like it was made for the car. Maybe that is because they are. ;)

Are there a lot of choices out there? Yes. Will many of them block the sun and head and UV rays? Yes. So why go with the UVS100 you might ask? It is made by Covercraft which is a name that represents protection and durability. If I'm going to drop $40+ on a sunshade then it better be good. I know of no other manufacturer in this industry that I can trust to provide me a sunshade that is more durable and effective than Covercraft. The last one I had in my Acura is still in use on a friend's car and is on it's seventh year of use. I don't know many people with a sunshade made by someone other than Covercraft that can say they are in their seventh year of trouble free use.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/UVS100/UVS100-2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/UVS100/UVS100-5.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/UVS100/UVS100-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/UVS100/UVS100-3.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I forgot to mention that there is a sleeve that the shade goes in when you aren't using it. Since the back is lined with felt, it can pick up dust and junk if you store it in a dirty place. Having the sleeve to put it away in when you put it up for the winter is nice. Typically I just toss it in the back seat when I'm not using it. If I need the car to be cleaned up at night then I'll just toss it in the trunk. It really isn't something that gets in the way ever.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
OCD- what do you do with it once you drive? Do you put it in the sleeve, then throw it in the backseat? What I'm trying to figure out is if I'll use the sleeve- I see myself taking it down, throwing it in the backseat and going- not putting it in a sleeve first.

The only time I put it in the sleeve is when I take it out of the car and store it in the garage for the winter. That just keeps the dust and junk out of the felt backing. The case isn't necessary, but it is nice to have when you are done with the shade for the season.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm sure it's great for heat, but I read somewhere on here that the windshield already blocks ~99% of the UV rays. (You know everything on this site is true!).

I have an $8 (Walmart) set of those circles that fold into themselves for storage. They fit nicely in the windshield and folded, they fit perfectly into the net on the back of the passenger seat. On really hot days, I can notice a difference in cabin temp, but it is not outstanding. I can also tell that they won't be lasting for 7 years. I am just not ready to spend $40 on a sunscreen, otherwise this one does look like a great one.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Ordered tonight- their shipping options suck dick, but if this cools my car down once it gets really hot around here, I'll forget about that.

As long as you have your windows tinted then you are going to see a pretty drastic difference in the temperature of your car during the day. I think I'll take a thermometer with me next week and do a couple tests with the shade and without it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

It will still work better than nothing. Tint will help block the heat as well as UV rays. Typical automotive glass does nothing to block that kind of thing. Because of the angle of the windshield you will get more through there than through the sides or back of a wagon. Still... a tint job would greatly reduce the temperature of the inside of your car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 5 months later...
I just found this thread and ordered one. I've always used the custom-made (to the car model) ones that roll up. Can't remember the name, but they're sold at a lot of dealers. Good quality, last for years. This one sounds like it has more insulation so I'll try it. I hope it's as quick to fold as the other one was to roll...

I have to make some sort of mount for it when it is in the car but not in use (driving). I think I will do something on the tailgate so I can store it.
I'm used to rolling mine up and dropping it behind me onto the floor of the rear seat, so I guess I'll try to do the same with this one. Hope it stays flat on its own.

It is as long as the windshield is tall. I just kept mine in the passenger seat and put it in the back seat when I had a passenger. if I had people in the backseat too then I put it in the trunk. Is it small and easy to just shove in the glove box? No, but that's the whole point. If you want a sunshade that works, then you are going to have to get used to having it live on the backseat while you are driving. If you can't deal with that, then don't buy one and stick to the cheap ones that make people wonder why you spent $30K on a car and $5 on your sunshade. If you ask me, the accessories you put on you car should reflect the same style and taste that caused you to buy the car in the first place.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived