LegacyGT.com

Common problems with 05 LGT?

• I Donated

I searched, and the only thread I found about common problems/issues with LGTs was from 2006. I figured some other stuff may have started to go wrong on higher mileage cars since then.

I'm looking at getting an 05 LGT 5-speed wagon with around 61k on it, and was wondering what possible issues I could look forward to, assuming I don't modify the powertrain. I've seen people say that stock turbos sometimes go bad after 60k, that there may be problems with the transmission, and that wheel bearings are a perennial issue. I've also seen people with headgasket problems, but those seem to fail early only on modified cars. Any other issues I'm missing?

Go to the sticky at the top of this forum. Something about the most miles on there GT.

My end tank just started leaking the other week, I'm at 127,400 miles. My tranny has been rebuilt 3 times, and is a little noisy, but shifts fine. I have the oem turbo, been at AP stage 1 93 octane almost 120,000 miles now. Other then using oil, no other issues. Wheel bearings have been fine. I had a Spec 2+ and LWFW installed at the first tranny rebuild about 74,000 miles. Mine will be 6 years old the end of this month.

Oh my 00GT needed a new tranny case at it's rebuild at 61,000 miles. At least this 05GT made it to it's second rebuild before it needed a case.

If I were you I'd buy an after market extended warranty.

The car is fun to drive just wish Honda made a car like this. Go look at a used Acura TL. I think that will be my next car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I searched, and the only thread I found about common problems/issues with LGTs was from 2006. I figured some other stuff may have started to go wrong on higher mileage cars since then.

I'm looking at getting an 05 LGT 5-speed wagon with around 61k on it, and was wondering what possible issues I could look forward to, assuming I don't modify the powertrain. I've seen people say that stock turbos sometimes go bad after 60k, that there may be problems with the transmission, and that wheel bearings are a perennial issue. I've also seen people with headgasket problems, but those seem to fail early only on modified cars. Any other issues I'm missing?

Other than wheel bearings, no problems.:) Oops, forgot, stuck front caliper.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I'll be hitting 100 k this weekend on my 05 LGT wagon and can say its been a great ride of reliability. No such issues of head gasket failure like 3rd gen (Which I had). I also had end tank leakage at stage two which was remedied with an upgraded IC (AVO). No wheel bearing problems for me . Shocks went at 70 k but they were also forced on lowering springs. A couple of squeaks were found and remedied in the interior. Stock turbo still goes strong even at stage 2+ . Many of us that do mostly highway miles, don't beat our cars when cold , and change the oil often enough are seeing well over 100 k on the turbo. Brakes are a bit of a weak point easily remedied with Hawk or Corbotech pads and upgraded rotors. Clutch is still strong but slips ever so slightly after an autocross or track day. Everything on my Leggy works well AC, all lights and interior buttons . Paint looks great. People peeps are very surprised when I tell them my Leggy has 100 K . The only problem you will have is finding an 05 wagon with an MT with less than 70 k. GL-

Blown turbos, broken oil pick-up tubes, excessive oil burn, weak transmissions, let's see...

My 08 rattles everywhere with only 20k miles, dash lights go into a siezure about once a month, wheel clearcoat failing, thin paint everywhere that chips easily.

I'm trading the car. It was suppose to be a long term car for my wife but I don't have any faith in long term reliability of the car. It is great to drive (when the stereo drowns out the rattles and doesn't shut off and start flickering), I really want to like it but it has already been a disappointment.

Rear wheel bearing warranty extended to 100,000 miles. Mine replaced at 60,000.

Recall regarding radiator fans running constantly. Replaced ECU and fan relays under warranty. If this problem has been fixed, make sure all the ignition keys were reflashed to work with the new ECU.

Some complain about frequent headlight burnout. Others say the new ECU solved that problem. I never had the problem; changed one bulb before the recall and two others 5 years later.

The car is fun to drive just wish Honda made a car like this. Go look at a used Acura TL. I think that will be my next car.

I sold an 05 Acura TL (auto) to get my 07 specb. The TL is great looking, excellent interior and the best built car I have owned. BUT I was bored stiff driving it.Handling is much better than a typical luxury car but not great and the torque steer sucked. Heavy steering effort and not real great road feel. The specb rides better at highway speeds and interior noise is about the same. A LGT with an Acura interior would be an optimal combination.

rick

Well I bought my "05 5mt wagon when it was new. I has been modded and is a great 340whp(375whp on e85) daily driver that gets 26mph hwy. Only problems for for was the pass. side CV boot and clutch. The clutch was not made for 375whp at the drag strip.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

OCV went, tires went, front o2 went, from my last car MPG went(LOL!) and so far that's it. Rest of the stuff was (when mods go wrong) items so no need to list my fail blogs. No rattles even with subs besides the auto dim mirror.

• I Donated
OCV went, tires went, front o2 went, from my last car MPG went(LOL!) and so far that's it. Rest of the stuff was (when mods go wrong) items so no need to list my fail blogs. No rattles even with subs besides the auto dim mirror.

What is an OCV? I'm not familiar with terminology about cars newer than 15 years old. :p My dad's 01 Forester has been through 4 front O2s, so that's no big surprise there.

What is an OCV? I'm not familiar with terminology about cars newer than 15 years old. :p My dad's 01 Forester has been through 4 front O2s, so that's no big surprise there.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-p0021-intake-camshaft-position-timing-over-advanced-18887.html?t=18887&highlight=p0021

a part of this system...

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Win05_WhatsInside.htm

A couple of squeaks were found and remedied in the interior.

Plastic trim around the climate controls/stereo squeeks? If so, how did you get them fixed? I'm plagued by this - when it's warm, the plastic must expand every so slightly, and it squeeks and creaks with every contour of the road.

I hate it.

Personally, this is the only problem I've had with my '05, save for some creaky rear suspension parts that can't be remedied either :(

Haven't had mine for long but door rattle due to weak spot welds on door bracing.

TSB 12-104-07 Shows you how to take care of that....drilling out spot welds and replacing with rivets.

Mine seems to drink gas though (more than average for a turbo'ed car) and no clue why ... i have no CELs

Plastic trim around the climate controls/stereo squeeks? If so, how did you get them fixed? I'm plagued by this - when it's warm, the plastic must expand every so slightly, and it squeeks and creaks with every contour of the road.

I hate it.

Personally, this is the only problem I've had with my '05, save for some creaky rear suspension parts that can't be remedied either :(

Rear does it only backing up in the driveway. It got louder after my neighbors T boned my parked car. did the lower orange subframe braces stop this?

Archived