LegacyGT.com

Colorado Subaru Track Day

praedet

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$35 is dirt cheap for a track day.

The State Patrol Track is actually a pretty fast track and not very technical, good for beginers. There are only 3 corners and a chicane. You can get up to 100 MPH on the back straight if you have enough faith in your brakes and tires for the fast left hander at the end.

If I am in country I will do this. I need to get my brakes and tires upgraded ;)

Directly from the site:

6-2-2007 Flatirons Tuning Subaru Track Day!

If you made it to our first meet, well, you know all about this. But if you missed, let me bring you up to speed.

Simply put, we wanted to give everyone with a Subaru the chance to take it out to a track, have a lot of fun, and see what their cars can do. So with out further ado…

Flatirons Tuning will be hosting a Subaru track day June 2nd this year at the Colorado State Patrol track in Golden, Colorado. Michael Pettiford of
along with a few of his instructors will be helping us organize the event, and will be available to give some tips, etc. We will most likely have a few other special guests, and I will post more about that as I get more information.

We will also be hosting a Meet/Tech inspection the day before the track day, Friday, June 1st, either at Flatirons Subaru, or at the Flatirons Auto Center. This is just so we can take a quick look over your car to make sure that you have good tires, and brakes, and aren’t leaking any fluids, etc. And this will give everyone a chance to meet each other, and we can go over some of the details for the next day.

There will also be a non-refundable $35 fee to reserve your spot, and a short registration form that will need to be completed. We won’t be collecting these yet, and I will post more details when we have them.

We won’t be keeping track of your times, and there won’t be any prizes for “First Place”. This will be an opportunity for you to take your car out on a track, and see what it is capable of, and get some professional instruction if you are interested. To make sure that everyone gets plenty of track time, we are going to limit to the field to 50 Subaru’s.

At this time, we want to keep it to a Subaru only field, but I will let everyone know if that changes.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and check back to this first post often, as I will be constantly up-dating it as we have more information.

If you are interested in some one-on-one instruction, Michael Pettiford will also be doing some smaller classes at this track on March 4th, and April 8th. You can contact Go 4 It Services at 303-666-4113 for more details.

Jon C.

^^^I might be up for that :D

let me know, so I can get a set of Carbotech XP16s and XP10s for your car and I'll book my plane ticket and pack up my typical track gear with me for the trip. once it's all done, you can pick me up at the airport on Friday night. I hope you got some Motul RBF600 at the least ;)

Keefe

Subscribed, sounds like fun. I wanna learn some driving pointers from you Xenonk.

Im sure there are many other hands-on instructors to learn from as well and who has way more experience than I do.. I think that's what the website said about having instructors there anyways.

Even for me, I may just have someone to ride with me just to give me pointers as well.. you can always learn more from someone else that has a LOT more experience.

I just want to try driving a different track and improve on my application of line-theory.

Keefe

I am 95% sure I am in unless I am not one of the 50 cars they are allowing...

I think Keefe (Xenonk) will be there too...

Pads, fluid...

What tires do you have? I don't know about helmets yet. I got rid of mine 2 years ago, so I will have to get one too if they don't have them.

Ted

:spin:

^Im dependent on a car to drive.. hopefully I can co-drive with Praedet. I will be bringing brake pads for stock 05 GT brakes for his wagon.

As for gear that I will be bringing with me on the flight:

1. Helmet

2. Race suit (or any long-sleeve cotton shirt, long pants, and shoes)

3. Second set of clothes (t-shirt, shorts, sandals)

4. Driving gloves

5. registration papers if there are any

I can't bring brake fluid on the plane.. so that's out of the question. I hope Praedet has all the typical track tools like a jack, metric ratchets and wrenches and a vinyl tube for the brake bleed and a small bottle to catch the old fluid out. Changing fluids and pads only take no more than 1.5 hours with 2 people working on the car.

Keefe

Praedet, did you try to sign up yet? Wonder when the sign ups start.

Is a helmet nesessary? If so, maybe I could borrow one.

I didn't see any mention of helmet on the awdpirate post but in general a helmet is required. Helmets are rated according to which year's standard the helmet is tested to. Snell rating is the most commonly cited for motor sport. For auto racing the proper rating is SAxxxx while motorcycle uses Mxxxx rating. Usually they will let you use M rated helmets on the track. Motorcycle helmets are a lot cheaper than the SA rated helmets. Check eBay you can get a new M2005 rated helmet for $100-$150. I would really suggest you get your own because you will sweat a lot in it. And I certainly don't want to put my head in someone else's sweat bucket... :icon_wink Most times they will also ask you to wear long sleeve shirt and pants too.

Yeah, I'm interested too. However this talk of helmets and what not makes me wonder if I'm venturing out of my league. I'm new to all this.

My guess is that the track or event-club-host should have loaner helmets available to use (it's a standard safety precaution for any track day). Even autocrossing is required and the speeds we go is no more than 60 mph in a parking lot (some people end up driving slower than that at an autocross for the first time as well).

It's just for the seasoned veterans of high performance driving end up having their own gear to bring with us. Don't feel bad or intimidated by us, we all started the same way as everyone else and not know what to expect. Just have plenty of sleep, bring a long sleeve cotton shirt and wear long pants and tennis shoes and you'll be fine. If anything, I'll try to call the event coordinator to see if they have loaner helmets available for the event (which I'm 90% sure they will since this is geared towards new people that never been on a road course before).

Does anyone have a layout of the course? I've been hearing it's a tiny 4-turn/7-turn course with a nice simple straight.

Keefe

Does anyone have a layout of the course? I've been hearing it's a tiny 4-turn/7-turn course with a nice simple straight.

On page 10 of the ZCCC newsletter there is a map to the track. The layout of the track is on that map. I think there is a better one somewhere I will see if I can find it.

http://www.zccc.org/Odometer/052006.pdf

To those interested: This isn't your standard track that will have loaner stuff available. This is the track that the Colorado State Patrol uses to train their troopers, so don't expect a lot of stuff you may find at a normal track. The AWDPirates guys (I'm a mod over there) have had a few unofficial events there and from what I've heard have had a blast.

Some pics:

http://mike.rose3.com/CSP%20Track%202004/index.htm

Archived