LegacyGT.com

Colorado help with Clear Corners and Xenon...

03Indigo

I just picked up my '05 OB XT LTD yesterday and already want to convert to Xenon....once you have had them, you get addicted to them. There is decent light output from the OEM projectors on the OB, but I want a bit more light.

So, my question is....is there anyone in the Denver Metro area that has done the Xenon conversion as well as someone that has removed the amber from the front lenses (clear corner mod) that might be willing to hold my hand as I do these? I am not asking anyone to do the work for me, just be a "guiding light" so to speak and maybe supervise as I get the job done. Will pay in beer/burgers for those willing to help.

cheers

jon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I was closer to you. I'm planning on doing the same things in the next little while. Let me know when you do find someone to help you out. My wife works for Delta and Denver is a short morning flight away. I'd love to see how its done.

by the way... that's a smooth avatar.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I live in Westminster right now, but will be moving to Highlands Hell by fall time.

Have you done Xenons? or are you just looking at doing the clear corners?

I have several Audi/VW friends that have done Xenon H7 conversions, so I might be able to hook up with them, but not sure if the plug and play applications are the same, I also wanted some advice on kits that are functional. Did a search in the forums...it is overwhelming, and I am looking for not the cheapest, but the best quality of pruduct to avoid failure.

I am really nervous about pulling the lights apart, getting them out is not a problem, in the Audi's, you don't have to pull the light apart, but you do need to drill a small hole to pop the lense out. The Subie way makes me NERVOUS, but still willing to try it if you are, hehe.

I wish I was closer to you. I'm planning on doing the same things in the next little while. Let me know when you do find someone to help you out. My wife works for Delta and Denver is a short morning flight away. I'd love to see how its done.

by the way... that's a smooth avatar.

Will do, and I took that pic of the dash yesterday as I got the car home, only 127 miles on it so far, or something like that. nothing like just barely 24 hours of ownership and already talking mods, hehe

lol great minds must think alike. I made mine last night too. Those gauges are really cool when they fire up. I do more detailing than modding, so I had to wait for a couple days to get started with my favorite pastime. Now that it is detailed properly I can focus on the fun stuff. ;) Tint and HID are the first on the list. Clearing out the headlights would be cool though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

My list includes Cobb Sways when they release them to the public, Xenon, and clears. I would like a sport spring upgrade for the Outback, but as of yet, not seen any...about a 1-1.5" drop on that car, with a slightly stiffer ride, with sways, 18" rims and a 245-45-18 ultra high performance tire like the ContiExtremeContact...then I would be happy. Maybe an exhaust for a lower note, but not gonna do any engine/performance mods...did that in the past, now, just want to look good. Oh yeah, tinting the windows as well...that is next month.

• 2 weeks later...

My Xenon 6000K H7 kit arrived yesterday (Friday) and I am planning on maybe thursday night for an install. I think for now, I am gonna pass on clear corners. Love the look, but not really into the effort. The Xenon Kit is really to install, and all I really want is more light. All my cars for the past 4 years have had Xenons, so now I am addicted to them.

I will let you know later in the week if I am gonna have time on thursday night, but it might be a couple of weeks before i actually have enought time, and a kitchen pass, hehe, to get the work done.

cheers

jon

Well, so far, I hope for thursday evening...can't confirm yet, have a huge painting project for a property I am intending on selling, so got to get that done this week, but if that works out, I hope to get them done thursday night. Although, that might get in the way of watching survivor, hehe.

PM me if you are interested in getting together on Thursday night and i will send directions.

cheers

jon

OK, could not wait. Have Monday off (well, since I did not work Sunday night), so I was up early. Got my house stuff done, laundry and stuff like that, and waiting for the girlfriend to come over so we can hang, but she wanted to go for a run and come up later....so that left me with nearly 3 hours of "free time". So, I took on the adventure of putting in the Xenons. It only took me about 2 hours at the most. The first part was just getting oriented to the process and wires, but once I figured out the pattern, it was a piece of cake. Truly "Plug and Play.

I took some pics, but don't have the time to upload them now, maybe later tonight or something, or Tuesday. They look great, and I think I like having the DRL's turned off as well, makes the car look tougher when the lights are off and rolling.

Anyway, sorry I could not wait, I am worse than a kid during holiday season....but now that i know what i am doing, I would be happy to help anyone in the region with this mod.

cheers

jon

ok here are the pics I took yesterday. I also adjusted the height of the lights, but think I went a tad too low. so I will raise them up a bit more today. I like the 6000K, but think I prefer the visibility of the 4300K better. All my other cars have had 4300K and you get more visibility, so eventually, I will switch them out.

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album107/IMG_0451.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album107/IMG_0454.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album107/IMG_0458.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album107/IMG_0461.jpg

Smooth looking job there. I put mine in on Saturday since I had plans to do the bug shield and caliper painting on Monday. The longest part of the project was drilling those caps out. I just used a sodering iron that I have for just such a task. Melted through that cap like warm butter. ;) The rest was a piece of cake. Now I'm just paranoid to have them on. I don't want to wear them out of find out that after 20 hours it melts the projector or something. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

ahhh, let em run. I have had xenons on 3 cars prior to this one, and no problems, granted all were OEM and the D2S bulbs, but still, no problems. They do not generate too much heat, not like the standard H7 from what I can tell.

I have several friends in the Denver Metro area that have aftermarket H7 Xenon conversions in their Passats and A4s, not a single person has had a problem.

What do you think about the danger of messing up the switch by using the factory harness? In the Vendor Classifieds the guy posted a link that tells how you can fry your factory harness if you don't do this and that. Any worries there?

OCDETAILS BLOG

the switch is not affected in my opinion. Power to the ballast is already regulated for standard input. If this was a constant issue, the distributors of the product would already take this into consideration and supply adaptors. I disconnected my DRLs as when they are on, they run at lower voltage/wattage....that helps to save the Xenon bulbs and ballasts. They don't handle fluctuation all that well.

I have no concerns about running them as is, and doubt that i will cuase any damage to the existing harness. That is soooo uncommon if you got a quality kit from a reputable company. You get what you pay for, remember that.

I have heard mixed things, so I went with HID Express L.L.C. in California. They have been around for quite a while when it comes to HID, and are very knowledgable with their products. They also cover product for a year, and 6 months on the bulbs...most don't even do that.

Archived