LegacyGT.com

Colder weather - not so happy starts!!

Well, it is not even super cold yet, around 50 and I have noticed a *slight* delay / hesitation in my car starting. This is my first winter with the car so it may be totally normal, but just since I have had it in the summer, I have noticed that in the slightly colder weather it isn't so happy to start. Again, not a considerable difference, just something small.

Ideas of something that might be wrong or things to try and make it better?

How old is the battery ?

I noticed mine took a few more cranks to start last week when we had ice on the windshield.

It's starts fine any other time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I do use a synthetic 5w30 - however this morning, again kinda cold outside, I noticed it took a second to start and then right as it did a small grinding noise, almost sounded as if I was grinding the starter, but that lasted about a second and the car was running just fine.

What's happening to my car!!!???

the noise is normal... I don't like it, but from my research there are a couple options:

1. Install and use a block heater. They aren't expensive, but you have to drain the coolant and since I'm at 93k I'll just do that when I get my timing belt etc done.

2. replace starter

3. rebuild starter. I plan to pull my starter, grease it and replace the contacts and plunger. This should cost under $50 and fix the problem.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Based on my experience these cars just crank slow when cold, I wouldn't worry about it. Even with a new batt and good starter. Its not really an issue as long as the batt is in good condition, the car will always start. It's possible that the gearing in the starter makes it this way.

As I walk through parking lots I can always tell a Suby starter :lol:. Honda always has a distinct starting sound, and are usually very quick and fast to start too.

Clean the battery terminals and think about replacing the starter.

My starter made that noise for a long time. I think two winters, but last Feb it began to do it all the time. I finally replaced it.

You don't need a block heater.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You should be fine for a while. If it begins to happen on the second or third start for the day, then begin to look into replacing it.

They are easy to replace. Pull the tmic and it's right there. Tow bolts, one 12mm nut and one plug in wire. Oh remove the negative battery cable first. When you put the battery cable back on grease it so the moisture keeps out.

Update,

Today temp was 30F, car had heavy frost on it. I turned the key on for 2-3 seconds. Car started in the third crank. Just like it was 70F. This is my 05 I'm talking about.

Another problem that raises now and then that can cause this kind of problems is the gaskets between manifold and cylinder heads. They sometimes start to leak and needs to be replaced.

I think that would be the orange o-rings between the Intake and the TGV's. I replaced mine this past May in the 05.

• 4 months later...

Alright so - reopening this question, every time I start my car after it is outside for awhile in the cold (like low 30's lately) I hear this 'grinding' noise, again like its grinding the starter but its after it is already started, just that first second or so of running. When I start it after it has been in my garage overnight, it doesn't do it.

So is it still the same answer, this is normal for this car and I don't need to worry about it?

Alright so - reopening this question, every time I start my car after it is outside for awhile in the cold (like low 30's lately) I hear this 'grinding' noise, again like its grinding the starter but its after it is already started, just that first second or so of running. When I start it after it has been in my garage overnight, it doesn't do it.

So is it still the same answer, this is normal for this car and I don't need to worry about it?

It has been up before and has been attributed to emission control.

453747.png

I think that would be the orange o-rings between the Intake and the TGV's. I replaced mine this past May in the 05.

Do these act up intermittently?

Twice now my wife has struggled with our LGT to start with a coldish, few hours since last run on highway. If motor is stone cold it starts fine or if warm/hot it starts. Between seems to be the culprit.

No codes when this happens or stored.

^ funny you asked. When I started the 05 today after sitting since Thursday night, I let the gauges cycle and the car fired like it was summer time. I went back in a told the GF that thing started better the 09 SpecB.

I would make sure your MAF and IAT sensors are clean first. I don't think the o-rings effect starting as much as the car doesn't want to idle smoothly.

A year aog the 05 would start fine but when the choke kicked off during the morning drive the car would idle ruff or stall. It did throw a code once but I can't remember what it was now.

I replacedthe o-rings while the tranny and read diff were out last May.

I also seem to remeber back when it was turning colder here the car ran ruff when cold, I cleaned the MAF and IAT the now it runs like it's summer all the time. The MAF and IAT were pretty caked.

Your starter needs to be regreased. The noise is due to the starter not releasing from the flywheel as quickly as it should. I picked up a used one, cleaned and greased it then swapped it with mine. Planning to clean and grease mine and sell it, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Ours has been doing this for a while also. Our mechanic heard it and said starter gear not disengaging properly. He replaced it for $275(denso) starter and $60 labor.

Noise gone but better yet makes wife more comfortable. She works in a dicey city sometimes into night and prefers to not worry about car.

Ours has been doing this for a while also. Our mechanic heard it and said starter gear not disengaging properly. He replaced it for $275(denso) starter and $60 labor.

Noise gone but better yet makes wife more comfortable. She works in a dicey city sometimes into night and prefers to not worry about car.

Oh come on now, you live in NH how bad can it be...(joking)

Good for you that you make sure the wife has a good car.

Alright great I will be doing that. But I had a new noise just this morning - it sounded almost as if a belt was squeaking for the first minute or so of idling to warm up. Not super loud, but I have never heard that before!! Which belt would you say to look at to replace? I am @ 100k now, timing belt is going on maybe this weekend, so I might as well do it all at once.

Archived