LegacyGT.com

Cold Start Issue

Not sure what is going on, I have a 2007 Legacy GT. Seems like every morining it has a hard time turning over. I have brought to dealership twice and guess what they never have a issue and nothing pops up on the scan.

Has anybody had this issue? It is to warm outside to be having cold start and this thing is a 07 what will happen in 5 years? Any comments appreciated.

yeah, I've been noticing the same thing recently. If I go to a dealer, he's gonna want it over night and see what happens in the morning.

What gives? I understand when its 20 below....but when its 50 out...this thing should spin right over! I only have 8500 on the odo.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I am dropping off at the dealership next Tuesday, everytime I brought it in they looked at me like I was crazy. I told them give me a rental and keep the car over night. It will happen and they will have no idea how to fix. I have about 10,000 on my car. I told them this was the 3rd time reporting the problem, next time = buy back. Should have saw the look on the service guy's face. It was priceless!

Funny you say that I was thinking the same thing, however only happens when the car has sat over night. Do you think it would still be a battery? example at 7:30am car cranked for about 4 seconds then started, when I leave work at 5:30 will crank fine. Strange huh?

Well before I started looking at complex tings I would have the battery load tested. Several people had their stock batteries give up very early.

well said. always check the obvious first. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 2 weeks later...
Just updating the thread. Brought car to dealership, they kept over-night and gave me a rental. They called me the next day around 2pm and said they could no duplicate my issue and they were going to charge me for the rental. (we had a nice pleasant discussion and they paid for rental) So the service mgr said keep the rental till the next morning come in and start the car for us. So I did got to the dealership at about 730am, went with service mgr and tech to start car and sure enough extend crank...first thing out of my mouth was told you I am not crazy. And they still acted like it was ok, I said really let's go start another 07 turbo and see what it sounds like. Have to bring it back this week they want to look at it again. I should call Subaru directly and complain. I have lost lots of time with this issue. Sorry for the long note.

You're not crazy. I have a similar problem with my 2006 SE. The car's been to the dealer 5 times and both the ignition wires and coil have been replaced, and nothing's been popping up on the scan. A couple of times it downright didn't start the first time around and actually, it never feels the same whether hot or cold. I had an Impreza loaner and it started briskly... looking forward to your update.

Just updating the thread. Brought car to dealership, they kept over-night and gave me a rental. They called me the next day around 2pm and said they could no duplicate my issue and they were going to charge me for the rental. (we had a nice pleasant discussion and they paid for rental) So the service mgr said keep the rental till the next morning come in and start the car for us. So I did got to the dealership at about 730am, went with service mgr and tech to start car and sure enough extend crank...first thing out of my mouth was told you I am not crazy. And they still acted like it was ok, I said really let's go start another 07 turbo and see what it sounds like. Have to bring it back this week they want to look at it again. I should call Subaru directly and complain. I have lost lots of time with this issue. Sorry for the long note.

This is the typical Subaru dealer experience. The dealer will be unable to replicate the problem, and once you show the service department the problem they will say that it is "within specifications."

Calling Subaru of America directly won't really help you. They will give you a case number and then tell you to contact the dealership.

I believe that if you want to file a lemon law complaint Subaru has to admit that there is some sort of problem.

I had the same damn thing going on, the dealer of course said, "nope, no problems here". So I charged the battery with an auxillary charger over night at home. Haven't had any trouble since. Alternator test fine as well. Weird Suby stuff I guess.

I was thinking that it is a battery, top it off I went to drop the car tonight and sure enough nobody was there to take my care. I got there at 6:02pm, they closed at 6pm. More wasted time for Jeff. Maybe I will try the battery trick and see what happens. Go Subaru!

This is the typical Subaru dealer experience. The dealer will be unable to replicate the problem, and once you show the service department the problem they will say that it is "within specifications."

Yeah, I had really hard time convincing my dealer that I had the infamous fan relay problem, they were giving me "it works as it should" BS. Finally I proved them the problem was there. The idiots told me to bring my car in when they "get the parts", 5 days later they told me they got'em, so they have my car for a day and then finally let me know that they only got the fan relay and not the ECU (both parts have to be repalced according to TSB) and the ECU is shot, duh. They kept the car for another week, paid for a rental though. Less than positive experience overall, if nothing else this is probably something that may make me to stay away from Subaru next time I'm in for a new car.

• 10 years later...

Archived