LegacyGT.com

Cold Feet

cachibache

I am about to buy a LGT, but upon reading some of the problems people have had with this car I am getting cold feet. What is especially bothering me is the "stinky clutch" and "stuttering" problems of the MY1 LGT. There are a lot of posts on both problems.

What percentage of owners are getting these problem? Should I wait for future models when hopefully these problems will get cleared up, or should I just jump in?

Thanks.

i'd wait if you have no real reason to get one...there are a lot of issues with subies right now...

what is this supposed to mean? There are "issues" with every model of every car ever made. Subaru was rated #1 for 2004....so there can't be that many issues.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of issues. The clutch stink thing goes away after awhile. I think its just something they put on the clutch that burns off after awhile. They don't have to do a major redesign to fix these issues. As long as the production month is like March or April then the problems that people are talking about will have probably been addressed and fixed already. There isn't anything so obnoxious that its worth getting a different car. Every car has issues. If you feel more comfortable waiting, then you probably should. Its an expensive car and you shouldn't buy it unless you really want it. I bought mine in Febuary and haven't had any regrets since. Sure there are things I'm not too fond of, but that is the way it is with every car I've owned. I could probably have a Ferarri and still find things to gripe about.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Buy it, don't worry about the problems.. Mine has almost 5k and no stinky clutch. The "stuttering" isn't very severe, and only appears when the car is cold. It really just feels like an uneven power curve, which is the nature of most turbocharged cars.

no, i was just saying that waiting for the new line really can't hurt much...i mean what is there to gain by getting an older one with some documented problems that subie won't face? and then see from there what the new model offers that this one didn't...

don't be thrown off by the number of people complaining here. this is an enthusiast site, so you should expect us to be extremely picky about our cars. ever car has it's share of issues, these cars weren't made by divine intervention ... robots and people made them. second, i don't have ANY clutch problems, and i don't have ANY shuddering. my car was built in december, i bought it in february, haven't had a single problem, end of story.

Also have a 12/04 build date LGT, bought last month. NO clutch stink at all, never experienced it personally. Don't know what the 'stuttering' is exactly, I do notice some very slight surging when accelerating with about 1/2 throttle, but it isn't objectionable. There are some minor quibbles (seat belt chime, no telescoping steering wheel, etc.), but every car will have those. If you're really getting cold feet, you should probably wait, a new car is a pretty big expenditure. I'd say wait till you're sure you're ready to pull the trigger. Take a few more test drives. Personally, I've got no regrets, the way it drives is pure bliss and far outweighs any minor issues.

Also have a 12/04 build date LGT, bought last month. NO clutch stink at all, never experienced it personally. Don't know what the 'stuttering' is exactly, I do notice some very slight surging when accelerating with about 1/2 throttle, but it isn't objectionable. There are some minor quibbles (seat belt chime, no telescoping steering wheel, etc.), but every car will have those. If you're really getting cold feet, you should probably wait, a new car is a pretty big expenditure. I'd say wait till you're sure you're ready to pull the trigger. Take a few more test drives. Personally, I've got no regrets, the way it drives is pure bliss and far outweighs any minor issues.

you haven't disabled the seat chime yet????

Search it up....what are you waiting for...thats the best first mod!!!

At the risk of starting yet another endless thread on the seatbelt chime, I'll state that I tried the steps to disable (turn key to ACC position, latch/unlatch the driver's seatbelt 20X, turn off key) without success. Also tried the above steps with the key in the ON position (motor not running), still without success. Guess I'll try again starting with the seatbelt latched.

buy a ford...then we'll talk about issues

My Subaru has had as many problems as both of my Fords...none.

I have absolutely no regrets over my LGT purchase. The build quality is way ahead of both my Fords.

I have not experienced the stinky clutch, but I have stalled a few times...which I attribute to the clutch being very different feeling from my Ranger and Mustang clutches. I haven't really noticed any stuttering and most of my driving is 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. I don't like the ACC but I have never liked ACC in ANY car so that isn't really an issue...I just run it in manual mode. The stereo isn't audiophile quality but it works fine for me. I am average height and weight so the car fits me pretty much perfectly. I don't drive super aggressive so the brakes, tires and suspension are fine.

I really love my car and would do it all over again.

or you could not disable the chime and actually put the freaking seat belt on. i don't understand why you wouldn't have your seatbelt on.

i don't understand why you would worry about anyone wearing there seatbelt, just like a motorcycle helmet law...it doesnt affect you. If i choose, because I am an american in a free country, not to wear one then i run the risks associated with that choice, you don't...i do..

BS... we all pay more for insurance when your non-seatbelt wearing dumb ass flies through the windshield during a crash. If it really didn't cost us more, I'd be all for people not wearing seatbelts or motorcyle helmets. Thinning the herd....

Thanks everybody,

I really have no worry about the minor quibbles, I was just wondering how common are the stuttering and the horror clutch stories I read here. I am glad that most have not experienced them. I am ready to buy. My old car is breaking down so my choice is to either keep putting money into the "money pit" or just buy an AWD, 250 hp/tq sports sedan.

Easy choice, especially with the deal I am getting: Atlantic blue GT non limited with subwoofer, short-throw shifter, security upgrade for $23,454.

i don't understand why you would worry about anyone wearing there seatbelt, just like a motorcycle helmet law...it doesnt affect you. If i choose, because I am an american in a free country, not to wear one then i run the risks associated with that choice, you don't...i do..

I'm not sure if you're kidding ... so if you are, please ignore. If not, you and everyone else like you are retarded. Freedom doesn't mean stupidity; seatbelts are designed to protect you and of course you're "free" to not use them, but why wouldn't you? I can't believe someone is arguing using seatbelts. My head is about to explode. You're also free to never brush your teeth, shower, and eat ... would you like to do that also since you live in the "land of the free".

i'm not arguing just responding to your comment about a feature in a car. And I don't believe that a CAR ALARM should be ringing in my ears b/c i drive down the street to my neighbors house. that my friend is RETARDED...mr. mature name caller...

well, i see we have another mature well spoken individual here. Sorry, but my "dumb ass non-seatbelt wearing self" has never flown though a windshield. I see your point about insurance but then the all so powerful government should crack down where we ALL really get affected with insurance and that is FRAUD people, not "DUMB ASS"'s flying through the windshield.

BS... we all pay more for insurance when your non-seatbelt wearing dumb ass flies through the windshield during a crash. If it really didn't cost us more, I'd be all for people not wearing seatbelts or motorcyle helmets. Thinning the herd....

Wow guys - time for a breather. We are all adults here, right?

The seatbelt chime is an annoying sound to listen to - so just put your seatbelt on.

As a medical provider who has worked many a shift in the ER, I can personally attest to the devastating effects of not wearing a seatbelt. In the VAST majority of MVA's wearing a seatbelt saves lives without question.

It is the land of the free but we all share a responsibility to drive, live, play responsibly - that includes doing our part to not end up a tube-fed, head injured, resource consumer laying in a nursing home for decades.

The same for folks who want to ride a bicycle or a motorcycle without a helmet - no problem I say, just sign your waiver on the dotted line that says if you're brain dead or otherwise horribly maimed as the result of injuries attributable to your decision to not wear head protection, we can pull the plug.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

My only gripe is that the stock tires suck, other than that, I would still pick this car over an Audi A4, Infiniti G35, and a BMW 3series anyday. And this summer, if all goes right and the rumors are true, I will have my dealership doing a retrofit installation of the factory naviagation system. I am also going to upgrade the tires to the PZero M+S. This car is a sports luxury car. You'll enjoy it.

- Mike

Don't let this site scare you off the LGT. I have 8.6K miles on mine. Considering the power, torque, handling all weather capability and maneuverability for the price this by far the best car I have owned. I still look forward to driving it each day. Sure there are some things I would like to see be different, but when I put them in perspective they can be classified as not so fine "whines".:D

Archived