LegacyGT.com

Cobb Sways Intall Instructions?

Neurodancer

Good Morning All,

I've taken advantage of unorthodox's part-out and bought a set of used Cobb F&R Sways and Endlinks. However, Shawn did not have the installation instructions and I am not sure about all of the parts and how they will go on my baby.

Does anyone have a scanner and a copy of their instructions handy that you can .pdf them and send them to me? I just want to screw this up! :redface:

I'm sure it's pretty simple and probably follows the STi Tubular sways that Cobb does have posted on their site, but when email Cobb, they replied that they don't have a copy of the Legacy-specific instructions that they could email me.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

:attention:

I do! I never thought of that.

Overall, was the vacation in 08 similar to prior years (not just speaking of sways here...)?

Edit: In reviewing the pics, I don't think it addresses my problem. I have 2 bars both with endlinks on them, 2 flat brackets, 2 brackets with a 90 degree bend in them, 4 bolts,and 2 nuts (no pun intended! so no creative editing here please! ;-) ).

The brackets look nothing like what Cobb shows on their website. I'm assuming they are reinforcement brackets, but I don't know how they are installed. Reinforcement seems to be something Cobb has added that are not in the OEM pics.

I am sorry if this is a newb problem, but I have a hard time telling the difference between a wrench and pliers! :-)

pics shown on cobbs website are probably just a reused pic from a wrx/sti. i think i still have my instructions. when i get home, if no one beats me to it, i can scan em.

If you were able to scan them, please PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Really appreciate the help!

2. Slide in the Forward Reinforcement Brackets as shown below. Note that the brackets only fit in this way on one side as there is a left and a right bracket. They should come close to lining up with the lower sway bar bushing bracket’s lower bolt location.

3. Reinstall the 19mm bolts loosely so that the bracket can be moved slightly if need be.

4. Use the provided grease to lubricate the bushings and place them on the sway bar in approximately the same position as the factory ones on the factory bar.

5. Position the sway bar in the factory position and install the COBB provided bolts loosely at the top of each bushing bracket to hold the bar in place. Each side should also have one of the flat bracket reinforcements in between the bushing bracket and the subframe bracket as pictured below. You should use one washer on each side in between the bolt head and the bushing bracket. Make sure that the lips on the bracket are oriented as they are in the pictures. (Note: The bolt in the lower location of the first picture is just there to hold the bracket in place for the picture and should not be installed before the bushing bracket is in place.)

A cut&paste from the .pdf file...

So did you get them installed yet? What are your impressions? I ordered these last week and am looking forward to getting them on.

I don't have a track background, so don't think of me being any kind of expert. The way I would describe the change is that the car stays flat around the sweeping turns at speed. Before you would feel the car tilt a bit with the turn. I would say it feels natural and makes it easier and more comfortable to make an aggressive turn.

I've heard it said on other threads that the Cobbs make the car feel like it should have been stock, and I agree wholeheartedly. One disturbing side effect however is that I now get an occasional clunk on low speed turns over uneven terrain where I never had the problem before. Specifically, my work parking lot has some broken asphalt in one section - when I make a low speed left hand turn in that direction I get a clunk almost like I kicked a piece up in the wheel well, but nothing has been moved when looking through the rear view mirror. I took the car into my tuner's shop and had them put it up on the lift and everything is on perfectly tight, it just seems to be a side effect of the Sways or the Endlinks (I think the links are the cuprit).

Ah well - its a small price to pay as there is no damage on the car and it only happens sporadically. I've read other threads about this problem and some people find it to be a major hassle.

FWIW.

I don't have a track background, so don't think of me being any kind of expert. The way I would describe the change is that the car stays flat around the sweeping turns at speed. Before you would feel the car tilt a bit with the turn. I would say it feels natural and makes it easier and more comfortable to make an aggressive turn.

I've heard it said on other threads that the Cobbs make the car feel like it should have been stock, and I agree wholeheartedly. One disturbing side effect however is that I now get an occasional clunk on low speed turns over uneven terrain where I never had the problem before. Specifically, my work parking lot has some broken asphalt in one section - when I make a low speed left hand turn in that direction I get a clunk almost like I kicked a piece up in the wheel well, but nothing has been moved when looking through the rear view mirror. I took the car into my tuner's shop and had them put it up on the lift and everything is on perfectly tight, it just seems to be a side effect of the Sways or the Endlinks (I think the links are the cuprit).

Ah well - its a small price to pay as there is no damage on the car and it only happens sporadically. I've read other threads about this problem and some people find it to be a major hassle.

FWIW.

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for as far as handling goes. I am no racer, but do like to have a little fun in the car. Many times it feels like I am leaning on the door when taking a turn, and the seats do not help much either with their lack of side bolster. My acura felt much more solid in turns, so these sways should do the trick.

That kind of sucks about the clunking noise, but the more I think about it, I think I already have that with the stock setup. I tend to only hear it when I pull in to my work parking lot and my home driveway, but only if I am going at least 5mph, there is little clunk, so I guess that won't be too much of a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished installing the same set up last night (cobb sways and endlinks F&R). I hate to admit it but I was unable to loosen those 19mm bolts that hold the rear sub-frame assy to the frame in order to install the reinforcing brackets. So for now I'm running without the reinforcing brackets, but I definitely notice a tighter all around ride, I'm also on pinks but have been for 6 mos or so.

Any thoughts on the 19mm bolts? I even put a pipe (~2-3' long) on the end of my ratchet to increase the moment, but to no avail. I guess air tools would be a sure solution.

Archived