LegacyGT.com

Cobb or SPT intake?????

flipsubie06

i cant really decide on whether i want to install an SPT intake or Cobb SF intake for my 06 LGT. ive heard different sides about the Cobb intake that it fell apart for one guy but worked well for the another guy but i like the SPT intake too. any inputs on the SPT intake???

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i already got a perrin air filter in my intake box but im lookin for an intake

WHY are you looking for an intake? Are you trying to be LOUDER? That is all it is going to do for you unless you have staged to turbo replacement. (But you very possibly are going to blow up your motor without a tune if you add an intake)

I have an SPT Intake, and im very happy with it, added a few plastic pipes to drop it in front of the wheel and got some very noticable power gains :x

I'v run it with just the STP and with the extra tubing, without the extra tubing i didnt notice any difference other than the shwoosh noise, also without the extra tubing it does heat up ALOT, but once i dropped the filter down into the fender the SPT intake stays at air tempature, i was pretty obsessive with it when i first got it, popped the hood every time i stopped somewhere to check on it. I'v had nothing but good experiances, been half a year with it now, however i bought it before i found the divine advice of legacygt.com, <3 and i would have sought alternatives other than the SPT if i had found this site before then.

I have an SPT Intake, and im very happy with it, added a few plastic pipes to drop it in front of the wheel and got some very noticable power gains :x

is it better down by the wheel than where it come out?...behind the headlight?

WHY are you looking for an intake? Are you trying to be LOUDER? That is all it is going to do for you unless you have staged to turbo replacement. (But you very possibly are going to blow up your motor without a tune if you add an intake)

how would an intake blow up my stock motor?

Cobb intakes are approved with use ONLY on the 05 and 06 LGT using their accessport. They recommend 07 & newer obtain a custom tune. It explains this in their map notes on their website and you can call them directly if you need reassurance. The Cobb Intake is probably the best or one of the best aftermarket intakes to run without a tune but it still isn't as perfect as stock...but its safer then other intakes on the market.

On a side note...I read so many posts on how bad it is to run an intake without a tune and how it will "F-up" your motor and clearly some members will argue this point to the death....but.... I have never seen a post or thread on LGT.com about a person who actually caused major damage to his motor based SOLELY on the use of an aftermarket intake without a tune. Sure in theory its possible but I'm certain that there are absolutely TONS of people out there with LGT's running intakes without tunes that have no problems and will not have any problems and they never post on this website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived