LegacyGT.com

Cobb CAI Noise

btillfan1948

:confused:I thought I'de be a happy camper with the recent install of the Cobb CAI along with the Cobb SF Airbox. It sounds awful:eek:. Like grinding metal shifting through the gears. Some noticeable power gain:), but the trade off is that horrible noise:eek:. Can someone explain what might be causing the noise? If you have any smart ass comments, keep them to yourself. Thanks.

All intakes cause a dramatic increase in noise from the turbo spooling.... and in some cases wastegate flutter.

Extremely annoying. If I wasn't running an upgraded turbo I would definitely be still running the stock air box.

Thanks Fonts. Your're right. I took the cobb intake and air box off and the noise went away. It's a trade off for sure. Live with the noise for what, a slight boost in HP and how cool it is to see the cobb intake in there? I wonder if a BOV would quiet the noise a bit? What do you think? Thanks for your input......Jim

I don't need that. I'll try to live with that cobb intake a while. If it keeps annoying me I'll sell it and go back to the stock. I like making modifications that will enhance performence but not compromise the engine or turbo's integrity. What did you do to upgrade your turbo? Expensive? Regards....Jim

I don't need that. I'll try to live with that cobb intake a while. If it keeps annoying me I'll sell it and go back to the stock. I like making modifications that will enhance performence but not compromise the engine or turbo's integrity. What did you do to upgrade your turbo? Expensive? Regards....Jim

Upgrading the turbo is a huge endeavour because you can't just swap it out for something else and expect good results. Some are swapping to the VF52 without changing injectors or the fuel pump .... but you don't get the full benefit of the turbo swap.

Typically you can consider a Stage II upgrade and tune. Not sure what year car you have so this can entail different things. If you are 07 or newer you can get a DP and tune from Infamous1 (member on the forum) and you will have good performance results with minimal $$. If you are 05 or 06 then you will need an UP also.

Don't forget to look at upgrades to your brakes and suspension to complement the performance upgrade. Some members scoff at doing performance upgrades without brakes/suspension first.

Personally I did a stage II upgrade first as I was relatively happy with the SpecB suspension initially. Upgraded the brakes. Upgraded the suspension. Turbo swap, etc.

Unfortunately in order to upgrade your turbo you need to consider all of those upgrades first.

I went a little crazy with upgrades to the car and don't even like to think what I've spent to date .... :redface:

Good luck.

Thanks Snow. I understand the sound a lot better now. On my 08 LGT, I can also compare it to the sound of engine noise you get when your running a high octane car on low octane gas. It's referred to as engine knock. I know that's not the problem. I'm just making that comparison to give you an idea of what I'm hearing.

Thanks for that Fonts. A stage ll upgrade and a tune sounds like a lodgical next step. Is it worth it for me to get the larger intercooler such as a Perrin with the stock turbo? What would that do for me as far as engine performance goes?

gotcha.

the aftermarket intercoolers (such as the Perrin) are slightly helpful with pulling more power, but they are more for reliability. the stock one is known to sometimes blow when you start upgrading parts, but there are some temporary solutions for that. search "JB weld intercooler" or something along the lines of that and it should give you some info on what i'm talking about.

any news on your preference of Cobb intake over stock? Can you live with the noise these days? If not, id like to be first in line to buy your cobb box from you. I have the cobb intake, but am still looking to hook it up with the box.

:)To all looking for that elusive cold air box, this may be what you're looking for. Go to AVO@AVOTURBO.COM

The box looks like it might accomodate the Cobb air intake, as well as other manufacturers of cold air systems. The part number is S1X03G4UA001. You'll find it under "Air intake systems". I hope this is helpfull.......Jim

You'll be the first to know. Convincing my wife that the sound she was hearing was not a problem was the last hurdle I had to get over. I think I'm keeping it.

sounds good to me man. although it would be nice to have, i hope you end up keeping it as the turbo spool is very enjoyable to hear- at least i think so.:cool:.

im looking at the AVO turbo product that you linked- and it definately seems like the ticket, but im skeptical to proceed ordering, esp when everything is japanese on the screen. hopefully i can find an online translator. lol

Don't get me wrong ... AVO makes great stuff but are you currently running a Stage 2 setup??

If you aren't I would suggest that you hold onto your $$ and put it towards a DP (and UP if you are older than 07) and get a tune .....

It's your car but you will more likely feel much better results putting your $$ there rather than the box for the CAI.

very much agreed. Im not expecting huge pwer gains (im not expecting any at all really) from slapping the box on. Just more of a peace of mind thing. Lol, i think id sleep better at night knowing that only cold air was getting drawn into my subie.... on the real tho, that is a good point. mabye ill hold out till my stage II upgrade is complete.

ive been rly looking to land a cobb box as there pretty rare these days, so id jump at any opportunity. it does seem like these avo boxes are still in production, so i guess theres no rush. i would like to be on the safe side tho.

for being so considerate and looking out for my well being, i give you back 1 of your 3 lost internets

Archived