LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

Just had the clutchmasters FX350 installed yesterday, still breaking it in, but i was surprised that the clutch pedal is easier to depress than OEM. After having a few ACT clutches on other cars i was expecting a stiffer pedal.

Does anyone else have this clutch?, i know it's relatively new.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be picking up one from Underdog in the next 2-3 weeks. Planning this with OEM SMFW and a TSK3 kit. Interested in your impressions after break in (although I'm buying it regardless). I was planning the 300 until the 350 came out with the full face option.

• Moderators
I'll be picking up one from Underdog in the next 2-3 weeks. Planning this with OEM SMFW and a TSK3 kit. Interested in your impressions after break in (although I'm buying it regardless). I was planning the 300 until the 350 came out with the full face option.

What's the benefit / trade off of going with the full face option?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'll quote someone much more knowledgable on the subject than I :)

It has to do with engagement.

For a given force, pressure is inversely proportional to area. A decrease in area, means an increase in pressure.

So full-face clutches are more easily modulated than puck/pad style clutches. But they can't hold as much power.

I want a full-face, because I don't race the car and I don't intend to. I won't be making more than 300whp with a 5-speed still in it, and I won't be launching it either. Puck/pad clutches are also typically noisier than full-face clutches, and this isn't a race car.

Full face clutches also have more surface area, so they heat up less readily and have more material so they wear less quickly.

I had an unsprung 4-puck in my old car. It was easy enough to drive every day, but it was just too aggressive and unforgiving for a relaxing "GT" type car.

The FX200 intrigues me, because of the carbon kevlar face material. The wear life on kevlar based materials is typically astronomical as long as they don't overheat. Once overheated and glazed, they don't tend to return back to their original state like an organic full-carbon based clutch will (where you can "wear off" the glaze).

That being said, Clutchmasters has implemented a new "Formula Button" full-face disc. From their marketing jargon, "The FX350 clutch system has a higher holding capacity than a segmented Kevlar lining without compromising the street friendly characteristic."

"The FX350 clutch system has a higher holding capacity than a segmented Kevlar lining without compromising the street friendly characteristic."

Look who decided to listen to my suggestions afterall.

The FX350 will be my next clutch (also an OEM SMFW and TSK3)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just had the clutchmasters FX350 installed yesterday, still breaking it in, but i was surprised that the clutch pedal is easier to depress than OEM. After having a few ACT clutches on other cars i was expecting a stiffer pedal.

Does anyone else have this clutch?, i know it's relatively new.

IIRC, Their pressure plate moves the spring pivot slightly so they trade a lighter pedal for a slightly longer throw to achieve the same clamping force. That's a trade fine with me.

The lighter pedal will prevent problems commonly associated with the push-type clutch fork and stiff pressure plates (where the fork will pop off of the pivot ball).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

that's exactly the setup i had installed.

Only have about 50miles on it so far since i live <2miles from work, i might go out for a few hours tonite and put some miles on it.

It has a higher engagement point that im more used to today than i was when i picked it up, but it still bites pretty hard upon engagement.

I'm assuming you are referring to CM and not me - your knowledge you share on this forum is a big part of my understanding of what's worthwhile as far as upgrades/mods on this platform. ;)

I was referring to CM. I suggested a full face FX300 when it was first released.

I expect it'll be one of their most popular Subaru clutches if they did things right.

Things I shouldn't have read.

1. This thread.

:lol:

Must....resist.....buying!!!

In all seriousness, I despise my ACT HD SS when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic. More OEM like pedal feel would be a HUGE bonus to me. Plus I won't ever be over 300whp so it seems like the CM FX 350 may be worth a look eventually...

What sort of holding power are we talking about for the fx350? I'm sitll okay on my stock clutch in the stage 2 6-speed spec B but I plan on going w/ a bnr 16 or 18g in the near future so I'm thinking over 300whp will be a certainty.

In all seriousness, I despise my ACT HD SS when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic.

LWFW or OEM SMFW? Please don't make me read your thread. Its almost as bad as mine to follow.:p

They say it's 110% increase in holding capacity. Same rating as the 300. I know Cryo HAS BRIEFLY BEEN running the CM FX300 in his car that's putting down 355WHP/440WTQ with a E85/FP68HTA setup.

Fixed

What sort of holding power are we talking about for the fx350? I'm sitll okay on my stock clutch in the stage 2 6-speed spec B but I plan on going w/ a bnr 16 or 18g in the near future so I'm thinking over 300whp will be a certainty.

it's supposed to be the same holding power as the CM300 but with a more streetable disc since it's non-kevlar.

The pedal feel is so far softer than the oem clutch/fw.

:)

Actually i have been running the same setup for quite a while, i just cant leave good enough alone...:)my sheets from last year still shows around 400tq. The fx300 can handle a decent amount of power from what ive experienced.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

In all seriousness, I despise my ACT HD SS when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic. More OEM like pedal feel would be a HUGE bonus to me. Plus I won't ever be over 300whp so it seems like the CM FX 350 may be worth a look eventually...

My ACT HD & OEM SMFW is nearly identical in pedal effort to stock and is easier to "feel" the engagement versus stock. However, I have driven in customers cars with the same setup (not installed or inspected by me) and it felt much heavier and had a shorter working range, making it feel more on/off.

My ACT HD & OEM SMFW is nearly identical in pedal effort to stock and is easier to "feel" the engagement versus stock. However, I have driven in customers cars with the same setup (not installed or inspected by me) and it felt much heavier and had a shorter working range, making it feel more on/off.

Ironically i have had the same experience.

I have noticed this with the fx300 as well as the act. Some cars are very on/off and some are great.

My fx has broken in nicely and its very little pedal effort and great response. I hopped in an 06 spec b the other day with an fx300 and smfw to complete an e85 conversion and killed it twice. Not sure why there is such a difference from one car to the next.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

The heavier feel is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. My clutch is one of the only things I paid to have installed, and the shop that did it is the only non-dealer Subaru installer in town. They have a decent reputation, and I don't think anything got messed up, but in stop and go traffic my left leg gets an absolute workout!

Things I shouldn't have read.

1. This thread.

:lol:

Must....resist.....buying!!!

MY ACT IS FCKN KILLING MY FOOT.....I HATE THAT DAMN CLUTCH :mad:

Plus it slips, I'm putting MAYBE 330 to the ground and it slips. Piece O shit clutch, my Spec was better.

So can the conclusion be drawn that at 325-350 hp stage 3 in a daily driver the fx350 is a better option then the fx300?

I'm wondering the same... If the 350 is easier to modulate and has the same clamping power than what would be the point in buying the 300 anymore?

Archived