LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement options and cost for DD?

vlad_b

My clutch is toast at only 120K miles! :spin:

I requested a quote from my dealership and parts, including flywheel come to $800. Labor - $675. I'm a DIY kinda guy, but I just don't have the equipment for something like that...

Is there good aftermarket replacements for clutch and flywheel for under $800 for 07 LGT? It's just a daily driver, stock. I don't need anything stronger than OEM.

What is the reasonable labor cost in indy shop for this job?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-FJK1001FW-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B002EO2YR2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=33APLLLWJ556E&coliid=I1MGZMHWU7JR4J]EXEDY FJK1001FW OEM Replacement Clutch Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

check that out, it's what I'm going to put on my 05 LGT.

Yea, I noticed that too.. but apparently it IS a FULL kit including a SMFW.

It's the FF02 flywheel that it comes with.

edit: also, there's a thread here with like 8 different people that found and used that same clutch kit

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-using-exedy-fjk1001fw-clutch-flywheel-packagei-156050.html?t=156050&highlight=FJK1001FW

edit2: on that amazon link i posted, the price is like $600+, but if you select see other offers or whatever it says, you can get the clutch kit for $520 with free shipping included.

Exedy is fine but the TOB blow chunks. Lower quality than OEM (the TOB not the clutch). Considering the well known snout problem, I would strongly advise a TSK3 snout kit with it. Or you can get a clutch setup with a heavy duty TOB unlikely to have issues like I did for my third clutch.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-721/Competition-Clutch-Performance-Clutch/Detail

Yea, I noticed that too.. but apparently it IS a FULL kit including a SMFW.

It's the FF02 flywheel that it comes with.

edit: also, there's a thread here with like 8 different people that found and used that same clutch kit

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-using-exedy-fjk1001fw-clutch-flywheel-packagei-156050.html?t=156050&highlight=FJK1001FW

edit2: on that amazon link i posted, the price is like $600+, but if you select see other offers or whatever it says, you can get the clutch kit for $520 with free shipping included.

520 is much better than 800! Than if I find some indy shop to do it, may be it won't be that bad. Can you confirm when you receive this, that FW is included? I can wait a few days. Hope the price won't go up again.

EDIT: I can't find this kit for $520. Can you give me a link?

Exedy is fine but the TOB blow chunks. Lower quality than OEM (the TOB not the clutch). Considering the well known snout problem, I would strongly advise a TSK3 snout kit with it. Or you can get a clutch setup with a heavy duty TOB unlikely to have issues like I did for my third clutch.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-721/Competition-Clutch-Performance-Clutch/Detail

I don't even know what snout is... Can you give me a link for the kit you think I need? Is it about broken tab on TOB some people mentioning for FJK1001?

it's on the right, below the add to cart

520 + 20 for shipping

found it! Unfortunatelly I've read everything on the thread about this kit, and one guy is not really happy with LWFW and clutch smell. I was about to hit "buy", now I'm all torn again :confused:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-107/Subaru-Tranquil-TSK3-Sleeve/Detail

If I were to run the exedy I would run it and a single mass fw. I would not run the exedy stage1 again. I was not happy with the exedy/f1 13lb flywheel. Zero launch. Great for road track but life is not a road track.

But this FW5xx FW in FJK 1001 kit *is* a single mass flywheel. Weighting around 12lbs. So you advising against it? What should I get than? Price is a priority, but launch is important to me! Even as it is driving an LGT after Boxster is a challenge - launch is painfully slow and the needle is at the redline all the time before I realize this is it for this gear - no more power is coming :(

I meant the WRX OEM smfw. 12lb flywheel is TOO light. 13lb + lw pully has caused false knock :lol:

12lb = likely chatter on engagement, noise out of gear/clutch in, and no ability to hold reves as you let the clutch out.

Conversely it will rev match downshift wonderfully into a turn late. Not very useful.

Yea, I'm torn between the lightweight of that kit or getting a stock wrx flywheel.

Mine is supposed to be a family car, so I'm having a hard time justifying the lightweight.

If you go to subarugenuineparts.com the stock flywheel is around $240 and you can get the exedy clutch kit for $370 on amazon. So the price is CLOSE, but no where near as awesome as the $520.

Yea, I'm torn between the lightweight of that kit or getting a stock wrx flywheel.

Mine is supposed to be a family car, so I'm having a hard time justifying the lightweight.

If you go to subarugenuineparts.com the stock flywheel is around $240 and you can get the exedy clutch kit for $370 on amazon. So the price is CLOSE, but no where near as awesome as the $520.

That would be awesome. But will the stock flywheel work with aftermarket clutch. I remember reading somewhere that it's not always the case :confused:

Check the vendors on here, my Spec 2+ came from JSC Speed back in 07. My new Spec 2 clutch came from AZPinstall.com

m sprank would be a good person to buy from also.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Archived