LegacyGT.com

Clutch Issues. What's new?

mikeislord

Like the title says, I've been experiencing odd clutch performance over several weeks. After reading some threads, it seems like this is an extremely common occurance with Subies.

1) Odd whistle when clutch is engaged. From what I've read, I should check out Throw-out bearing.

2) Sticky clutch when moist or wet out. After a good rain or car wash, clutch seems to be stuck. When I rev it up to move the car, I can distinctly hear a snap or pop noise then the car moves. If I were to feather the clutch and gas around 1k to 1.25k rpms, the car wouldnt move at all. I haven't found any info on this issue yet. After a recent car wash this snap occured and the following drive was awful. Had to give the car additional gas for every shift, acceleration was terrible.. I was freaked out. The next day the car ran like normal again.

I have a 05 LGT MT with 31K on it. I'm getting my 30k service very shortly. I've had the car since 19K and only have screwed up one shift about 4 months back.

Anybody have any input about the second issue (or first for that matter)?

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had either issue you describe but i'm pretty sure when the throw out bearing starts making noise that means it's already on its last leg. When my buddys throw out grenaded he said he heard those noise and 15 minutes later his clutch was exploded.

I don't have a sticky issue either; just a transmission that has trouble getting into reverse...

I drove with a throw out bearing total disintegrated for a week or two on my Ranger before I was able to get it replaced ... are our transmissions designed differently whereby a shot throw out bearing will cause catastrophic damage?

For those interested or could potentially have a similar issue, my mechanic determined the issue. If the pressure plate cracks in our stock clutches (which mine did aparently) moisture gets in after a rain or intense car wash and causes really poor performance until it dries up.

- The end.

No. Highly doubt Subaru would honor a clutch under their powertrain warranty as they consider it a wear item.

Go above your dealerships head - call SOA directly, and talk to them about it. Quite a few members have had clutches replaced even though they're out of warranty.

My 05 OBXT clutch was replaced at 34,000 miles because of chattering under warranty.

And my 97 Outback bearing went out at 18,000 and they replaced it. The 97 clutch lasted until almost 100K.

Be nice, play dumb and give it a shot. Maybe a different Subaru dealer that does not know your driving habits might help.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

Tell the dealer something is going on weird with my clutch and I almost had an accident and got rear ended. Then his response will somewhat sympathetic.

Now if you have custom wheels and a lot of mods that might not help at all. Subaru dealers and the mechanics hate that when it is not theirs.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

Archived