LegacyGT.com

Clunking noise during braking (2 types)

XLeezardx

I have 2 diffrent types of clinking noise issue's with my car.

During heavy braking, I can hear loud multiple clunking under the car and I knwo its not the ABS. I started to have this after i changed out to DBA slotted rotors and HPS pads on the fronts.

On my second issue, I get 1 clunk when i hit the brakes during low speeds. I can almost feel it coming from right under my car. I stared to have this after I installed Megan racing coil overs.

So what do you guys think? :iam:

I switched brake pads on my 05 2.5i to Street Performance Plus pads and had the same result with the clunking. When coming to a complete stop when braking, it starts clunking, chattering and banging. I removed the shim plates to eliminate those from generating noise, I put anti-squeal stuff on the backs of the pads, which got rid of some squealing I had at speed without pressing the brake pedal, but still have the clunking when coming to a complete stop. These aftermarket pads must not fit tight enough between the pad guides and the pad.

I am switching back to stock pads until I can find a solution.

• 10 months later...

bumping all these threads up to solve my problem hopefully.

I have hawk hps pads on my 05 lgt. Today I started getting this problem where when I'm at low speeds its like a clunking noise when I brake and I can feel each clunk it does in the pedal. Also when I got home tonight I noticed that when I'm coasting I can hear like a slight grinding on the rotors like if the pads were still up against it but not enough to ever slow the car just rubbing along slightly.

no, not really. they shouldnt.

Unless it was overtightened or not lined up and the threads are crossed. Your brakes shouldnt be making all that noise (assuming it is in fact coming from the brakes).

Take your wheels off, and recheck everything. Id loosen some of the bolts and re-tighten just to make sure. The caliper guide bolts are usually a fairly low torque spec while the caliper brackets are higher.

Also re-check and torque your wheels.

Did you resude the guide shims on the sides that hold the "ears" of the pad?

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

My problem ended up being warped rotors. Had Subaru dealership turn them under warranty and the problem was fixed. This was the first time I had ever had warped rotors make this type of noise issue, but that was definitely the problem. I even tried 3 different brake pads before taking it in for Subaru to deal with and they all made the noise. I would try having your rotors turned.

same prolbem put new front pads in about 10k miles ag and at low speeds when I hit the brakes it sounds like something breaks right under front left tire real loud. I thought it was the tire rubbing but there is ample room. no idea:spin:

same prolbem put new front pads in about 10k miles ag and at low speeds when I hit the brakes it sounds like something breaks right under front left tire real loud. I thought it was the tire rubbing but there is ample room. no idea:spin:

Depending on the pad manufacturer, sometimes during the manufacturing process, pad backing plates are sourced from different vendors. If the ears of the pad are slightly smaller or off, the pad can rattle in the caliper.

Try using brake grease on the ears of the pad backing plate and also put that brake quiet goo on the backing plate itself. This will prevent clunking sounds, IF they are a result from pad backing plate manufacturing tolerances.

Hope that helps.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

This is the exact same thing that was happening with me. I tried the brake goo and grease and it only helped for like 100 miles then the noise came back. I bet your rotor is warped enough that it is causing the noise.

Hi guys, I am hoping you could shed some light with my problem also. Mine is a 2.5i Legacy 2005. I am having this grinding noise in my left rear wheel whenever I press the brakes, but the sound is there only if the speed is very slow. Braking at high speeds I don't hear the grinding noise. Haven't have it checked yet, was hoping I could get a vague idea as what the problem is.

I don't think its a sticking caliper, coz whenever I release the brakes the grinding sound stops. Sound is only there when I press the brake pedal at very slow speeds, slow means almost to a stop.

• 4 years later...
aw man was hoping to find some good results regarding this issue. Mine happens when I brake hard on an uneven surface. Example, I braked hard while I was going over some bad road and it seemed like my tires weren't slipping but the wheel was rolling and it was making a clunking and grinding noise

• 4 weeks later...
I have that issue as well...under braking load and after 30mph it comes from the passenger side rear..I changed the endlink on that side because it had a ton of play between the sway bar and top mounting hole for the endlink. After I replaced the link the sound is still therebut not as loud.

I have this noise going on too it happens 3 different ways

#1: while driving straight @20mph its slightly noisy....

#2: while braking @ any speed the noise is loud and follows the revolution of the wheel until dead stop

#3: driving @ any speed while taking a left turn is very loud.

I have replaced in order to make noise disappear.

Both endlinks: one had a ton of play, originally thought it would fix because sound seems to come from passenger rear (happens loudly while taking left turn). Didn't fix. Bummer.

Brake pads: front and rear, needed it any way.

I have visually checked most bushings under rear subframe and differential all seems to be good and still have elasticity....

• 4 weeks later...

#2: while braking @ any speed the noise is loud and follows the revolution of the wheel until dead stop

Both endlinks: one had a ton of play, originally thought it would fix because sound seems to come from passenger rear (happens loudly while taking left turn). Didn't fix. Bummer.

I have visually checked most bushings under rear subframe and differential all seems to be good and still have elasticity....

I have a similar issue. Noise + minor jolting/bumping from the front passenger wheel. Very noticable at slow speeds while breaking. Shuddering with tight turns (usually left but not 100% sure). Bumping gets worse after lots of tight turns around town / parking.

Car is fine on the open road at high speed, even breaking. Only noticeable under like 40 km/h

Described issue to tech who thought it might be suspension related, will be getting it checked in a couple weeks after a trip.

I have a similar issue, but with the front passenger.

Slight Bumping / Jolting while slowing to a stop at low speeds. Most obvious when applying breaks. Tight turns increase the problem and shudders during the turn (not 100% sure if it's just left or both directions). High speed travel is fine, no noticeable shudder or bumping.

Spoke to a mechanic who stated it could be an issue with the suspension. Looking to get it checked when I'm back from holiday.

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old thread, but you all are explaining the same problem I have with my 2005 2.5i. New rotors in the front and new pads - the thumping noise doesn't affect my braking power, but it is disconcerting...anyone resolve it (without replacing the rotors as mine are new - or maybe mine are defective)

Archived