LegacyGT.com

Clunk when shifting to reverse

Hey all. I have been having an issue with a noise from the front end when going into reverse. It's a very metallic clunk. It started after I had the car back from the mechanics following a HG job. They removed the axles to take out the engine (I know because I changed the axles before I took it in), so I took it back to the shop and had them look at it. They gave me a diagnosis and it said that the drive axle splines at the outboard hub are worn and making noise when reverse torque is applied. They recommended that the front axle and/or hub be replaced. I don't think they did a thorough inspection on it (like took the axle out). Anyone else had this issue? How hard is it to replace the hub if I have to? They quoted me $400 to do it. It's an automatic. 02 LGT.

Thanks!

usual causes:

rear trans mount.

rear diff bushings

drive shaft u-joints

$400 is not expensive,

if it fixes the problem.

but what if it doesn't?

how sure are they?

i doubt the hub is the problem,

unless they damaged it.

usually it is something mount or rear drive related.

but no guarantees.

i would tell them that they caused it.

worked fine when you brought it in.

maybe the tech didn't tighten the axle nut properly.

so it was loose.

this caused trouble, wear, when test driven.

and now they hope you will pay to fix it.

good luck.

Edited by johnegg

Thanks. It's definitely coming from the front end. I suspected trans mount, but I don't think that's it. My shop is a very honest place and does good work, but you never know...we humans are known to make mistakes. I'm tearing into it today to have a look. I bought the axles from Autozone in Feb so they're pay much new. If the axle is somehow bad then it'll go back. Hopefully that fixes it. If not then ill go from there. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

Hey thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at the drive shafts. I tore into the front end last Thursday and got a new axle from Autozone (no questions asked return). Put it in and it's still making the noise, just not as bad. I don't know where it's coming from now. I might just put it up on jack stands and sit under it while putting it into reverse to see what's making noise. I agree with John that it's highly unlikely it was the hub or wheel bearing. We inspected the splines and they look fine- nothing abnormal. I might just live with it. I don't know. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

• 3 years later...

I have a 2000 automatic Legacy with new CV axels. When shifting into REVERSE first thing in the morning, there is a metallic "clunck" in front Left area. Usually I get the idle down to about 1000 before shifting. and it still clunks. Doesn't do it at all the rest of the day. Only time is 1st thing in the morning. Car is in garage, protected from freeze.

Ideas???