LegacyGT.com

"clunk" when I put the clutch in...

SSpeed

I'm having a problem that is driving me crazy to diagnose. Sometimes, definitely not all the time, when I put the clutch in I get a "clunk" that I can feel through the pedal. It's not terrible loud or forceful, it sounds like taking a hammer and very lightly tapping the bell housing.

Here's the deal, it never will do it with just me in the car... It never does it sitting still. Only when I have passengers, and put the clutch in, it's a split second after having the pedal to the floor. And then it's not even all the time... it's driving me crazy...

I can't be completely sure, but I know it happens less for sure... when I feel it I just hear what seems like a light tap on the bell housing with a hammer... I'll get under the car this weekend and check the mounts, that's a good suggestion... I just wonder why it definitely happens more with passengers in the car...

My clutch had a similar condition but it would happen everytime I depressed the pedal. I pulled the boot back where the clutch fork enters the bell housing and sprayed a small amount of white lithium grease where the fork meets the TO bearing. Problem was fixed and has not come back, yet.

Check your exhaust and hangers for missing parts or interference with other components. Good luck and make sure you use jackstands!

My clutch had a similar condition but it would happen everytime I depressed the pedal. I pulled the boot back where the clutch fork enters the bell housing and sprayed a small amount of white lithium grease where the fork meets the TO bearing. Problem was fixed and has not come back, yet.

Check your exhaust and hangers for missing parts or interference with other components. Good luck and make sure you use jackstands!

I had thought about that, the extra weight of passengers must change something as it happens more with passengers.

I have a similar problem. For me it's usually when I am feathering the clutch in reverse or 1st and I clutch-in while accelerating, if that makes sense. I kind of assumed is was the dual-mass flywheel unloading.

It could totally be that... I haven't worried too much about it as everything seems to be working fine...

GTTuner, I think the DMFW is noticeable (maybe not more) on clutch-out, and is one reason why we have to be so meticulous in order to prevent jumpy starts. I only get the noise on clutch-in though.

It could be the springs in the clutch disk, for all i know. They are there to absorb some of the torsional shock of connecting/disconnecting the engine & tranny.

When I experience this "clunk" is when the clutch/flywheel would be absorbing much of that torsional load (accelerating from stop in R or 1) and clutching-in releases that load and the DMFW/Clutch Disc, releases the load (lol).

GTTuner, I think the DMFW is noticeable (maybe not more) on clutch-out, and is one reason why we have to be so meticulous in order to prevent jumpy starts. I only get the noise on clutch-in though.

It could be the springs in the clutch disk, for all i know. They are there to absorb some of the torsional shock of connecting/disconnecting the engine & tranny.

When I experience this "clunk" is when the clutch/flywheel would be absorbing much of that torsional load (accelerating from stop in R or 1) and clutching-in releases that load and the DMFW/Clutch Disc, releases the load (lol).

So, I don't know if I understand the dual-mass flywheel well enough, but I thought because of it, we have no springs in our clutch disk?

So, I don't know if I understand the dual-mass flywheel well enough, but I thought because of it, we have no springs in our clutch disk?

Vacation Pix indicate otherwise.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2292/clutchvacapixut8.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5156/flywheeliy0.jpg

2. TURBO MODELS

• The flywheel is of a dual mass type, which consists of a primary flywheel, damper spring, ring gear, planetary gears, and a secondary flywheel.
  • The damper spring is attached to the periphery of the primary flywheel.
  • The engine power flows from the primary flywheel through the damper spring, ring gear and planetary gears to the secondary flywheel, and then is transmitted to the transmission via the clutch.
  • Torque fluctuation in this power train is dampened by lowering the rigidity of the power train using a two piece flywheel with a damper spring, ring gear and planetary gears in between, which helps reduce vibration and noise from the power unit.

Archived