LegacyGT.com

Clean that MAF!

dr_sharp

Anybody know how often you're supposed to clean a MAF sensor? I pulled mine out today in preparation for the intake and it was DIRT! EEEE!!!

First two pictures - turbo side of sensor

Second two pictures - intake side of sensor

After cleaning, both sides look like the turbo side originally did.

2039443784_YouDirtyMAF005.JPG.6fb85dbf6097d8b73e4a0e98bdd2d411.JPG

2009516272_YouDirtyMAF006.JPG.294abe86e8bf04c14e9b89cf0515e7a9.JPG

297410976_YouDirtyMAF001.JPG.c33725c803f6fa6933db7382602fdb7b.JPG

381215918_YouDirtyMAF004.JPG.a83f27f0bc72411eb13b899de4db445b.JPG

lol

In reply to the pictures; that's the air temp sensor and the actual air sensor is at the top of the tube where the air passes throuh the hole, you can barely see them.

As for the importance of cleaning the MAF; it's good because it could effect idle or fuel trims.

Good little bit of maintenance you can always check on every time you do an oil change or every other. Something to do while you wait for the oil to finish draining. Good job on noticing it and actually cleaning it.

Uh... where do you say the air sensor is at?

This is a hot wire maf sensor... the airflow is actually measured by the current required to heat the tip where the temperature sensor is located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemometer#Hot-wire_anemometers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_thermometer

The bulbous piece with the dirt on it is the IAT sensor. If you look into the MAF you can see the heated wire that is the actual MAF sensor. I use the same cleaner above periodically to clean the whole thing.

In reply to the pictures; that's the air temp sensor and the actual air sensor is at the top of the tube where the air passes throuh the hole, you can barely see them.

The bulbous piece with the dirt on it is the IAT sensor. If you look into the MAF you can see the heated wire that is the actual MAF sensor. I use the same cleaner above periodically to clean the whole thing.

I stand corrected... but I don't understand how the sensor could give an accurate reading in that location...

These guys only cleaned that sensor:

lol

Archived