LegacyGT.com

Clamshell Style Spring Compressor

I'm soon to do my suspension install and might need some spring compressors. I was on the fence on whether or not to bring the assemblies to a shop and have them compress them. I came across a couple clamshell style compressors which seem like they could be safer than the other "widow maker" style ones.

This one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html

And this one from OTC:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6494-Clamshell-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0002SRHU6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Has anyone used these before? Do they work fine with our springs? Any experience with the HF ones. Its probably worth spending the extra money for the OTC since its almost definitely better quality.

I've only used an old set of widow makers from when my dad was a teen. IMHO as long as you are very aware of the danger and don't brace the spring against your groin (or something stupid) you can be reasonably safe.

I also like to have someone else there so they can tell me if I'm being stupid.

You could always rent from a local parts store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ditto on this; I can't imagine you'll be using the spring compressor more than 1-2 times annually...Don't buy, just rent from Advance Auto or your local auto parts store. BTW, renting=free. You just put up the purchase price in advance, fully refunded when you return.

Also don't run the spring down too much, just enough to get the top hat on or just enough to release the tension to remove the top hat nut. If your installing lowering springs you'll likely won't need to compress them to get the hat on, if you do it will be very little.

i use these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-COIL-SPRING-STRUT-COMPRESSOR-REMOVER-INSTALLER-SUSPENSION-TOOL-/350516201237

had them for like 10+ years. worked with everything and dirt cheap.

Same one's I've been using for years too. With a little help from an air tool, those springs will be compressed in a min.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Am I the only one who was taught that you never use an impact wrench with coil spring compressors, or are you guys just using some ballsy air ratchets?

Why?

I mean I understand some of the issues, but it's akin to using a cell phone at a gas pump...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's more dangerous using a standard ratchet, because each swing of the ratchet causes it to move around. I know, because I had one compressor twist off the spring and almost took out my arm.

At least with a air tool you can hold the compressor tool firmly and hit the air gun a few times. Very little movement of the compressors, and never had an issue using an air gun.

Think it was mainly to do with the potential for the compressor to be rattled off of the spring. That's a good point on ratchet vs. gun, though, you get rid of a lot of the leverage that would otherwise go toward pulling the compressor off the spring.

Agreed on the air gun being preferred over ratchet. I have always done it with another person. One of us holds the spring and the compressors in place, the other turns the ratch. It's a hairy operation, but not impossible if you are patient and remain aware. I will use an air gun next time with the compressor thread well lubricated.

Am I the only one who was taught that you never use an impact wrench with coil spring compressors, or are you guys just using some ballsy air ratchets?

No - you are not alone! The problem with the hook type spring compressors (which are the only kind I have used, actually...) is that if you don't have the hooks positioned well, the vibration of the impact tool can cause them to slip along the spring (there's a video that Eric the Car Guy did that showed that happen - it wasn't on purpose, and he was pretty surprised). Hand tools and keeping your fingers out of the coils (in the event something bad happens) are the way to go. Also - always use the secondary hooks to hold onto the springs.

No - you are not alone! The problem with the hook type spring compressors (which are the only kind I have used, actually...) is that if you don't have the hooks positioned well, the vibration of the impact tool can cause them to slip along the spring (there's a video that Eric the Car Guy did that showed that happen - it wasn't on purpose, and he was pretty surprised). Hand tools and keeping your fingers out of the coils (in the event something bad happens) are the way to go. Also - always use the secondary hooks to hold onto the springs.

That's speaking of the older style of compressors, where they didn't have the safety hoops that go around the springs and attaches back to the compressor. I have the safety hoops on mine and they prevent the compressors from coming off the springs.

Too each their own, but I find the air gun to be more practical and faster as long as the strut is stabilized. Meaning, I place the strut on the ground with 1 foot on top holding it in place. Then tapping the air gun on each side until the spring is compressed equally. I have done at least a dozen of these without a single issue.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago.

Sort of embarrassing to say this, but I was so paranoid about something happening, that I actually used four compressors on each spring. I used two of the standard dogbone kind (black in the attached picture), and two of another kind (silver in the picture). I really like how the silver ones use u-bolts to attach to the spring. Except from what I remember, I was a little uneasy with how the main shaft of the silver compressor bent under load, and I forget if the main shaft on the black compressor bent the same way.

spring.compressors.thumb.jpg.bcd5fbfe67a90c95f4090c4e3c46f52a.jpg

That's speaking of the older style of compressors, where they didn't have the safety hoops that go around the springs and attaches back to the compressor. I have the safety hoops on mine and they prevent the compressors from coming off the springs.

Too each their own, but I find the air gun to be more practical and faster as long as the strut is stabilized. Meaning, I place the strut on the ground with 1 foot on top holding it in place. Then tapping the air gun on each side until the spring is compressed equally. I have done at least a dozen of these without a single issue.

No - these are the ones with the extra hooks, though I don't recall if he was using them - the compressors didn't come off the spring, they slid along the spring, allowing the spring to pop out in one direction. The extra hooks help prevent the compressor from flying off, but it can still move.

Pretty sure he'd done many, many cars using those as well - it's a low probability failure mode, and that style compressor has been around for a long, long time (mine are over 25 years old! (and they came with safety hooks)), but it only takes once to ruin your day! Failing is probably a combination of going too far on one side relative to the other, and the vibration from the impact tool.

You don't want to underestimate or minimize the danger associated with the amount of energy that is stored in a compressed coil spring.

You don't want to underestimate or minimize the danger associated with the amount of energy that is stored in a compressed coil spring.

Exactly! Treat it like you know it's going to fail catastrophically, you just don't know when. Don't ever have them in a place where failure could result in lost fingers or what ever.

Archived