LegacyGT.com

Cigarette Lighter in center console Box Shorted?

So I had my phone charger plugged into this outlet in the center console box, and accidentally ripped it out of the outlet.

I thought all the little pieces of the phone charger were out of the outlet and proceeded to plug a new charger in.

The new charger lit up for like half a second, and then turned off. The charger still works in the main cigarette outlet, so that isn't fried.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to take apart that box that houses the cigarette outlet so I can look for problems. Doesn't anyone know the part number for the outlet if I have to replace it?

The charger still works in the main cigarette outlet, so that isn't fried.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to take apart that box that houses the cigarette outlet so I can look for problems.

If the cigarette lighter outlet works, why would you want to disassemble it?

I think those units have an internal fuse.

Sorry..to clarify...its the power outlet in the center console box that doesn't work. I need to disassemble it to make sure that nothing is stuck in there.

The main cigarette lighter next to the ashtray works fine, but I like keeping the charger in the center console box and running the wire out through the indentation that's there.

I would expect a blown fuse (that's what happened when an errant dime made it's way into my lighter socket) rather than an issue with the outlet itself unless you physically broke it. Is the console outlet on the same circuit as the cig lighter?
It is still ugly.

Keep in mind a blown fuse may also keep the mirrors from working too. Double check the fuses first.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna bump this up... My cig lighter next to the ash tray doesnt work... The ring around it lights up fine, the little light in the ash tray works fine... But the outlet itself doesnt work. The outlet in the center console works fine though.

Did the OP ever get their problem fixed? What did you do to fix it?

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I would expect a blown fuse (that's what happened when an errant dime made it's way into my lighter socket) rather than an issue with the outlet itself unless you physically broke it. Is the console outlet on the same circuit as the cig lighter?

you just answered my question.. found a dime in mine after wondering why my gps power wouldnt go in.. doh!!

now the outlet is dead - will check fuses!

We had one customer whose metal tip of her charger broke off and fell into the socket and blew her fuse.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 years later...
Hate to revive an old one, but better than making new. Does anyone know offhand which fuse is used for the lighter socket to the right of the ashtray on an 05?
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Hate to revive an old one, but better than making new. Does anyone know offhand which fuse is used for the lighter socket to the right of the ashtray on an 05?

nope but having replaced it twice, it's well marked on the inside of the fuse box cover lid, under the dash on the left. 20 amp if memory serves well.

I suppose I could have gone out and looked first. Havent touched either of the fuse boxes on this car, only on my old GMs where nothing was well marked (read 1980s).

Either way, thanks man.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

• 5 months later...
nope but having replaced it twice, it's well marked on the inside of the fuse box cover lid, under the dash on the left. 20 amp if memory serves well.

which row?? my subaru dealer decided not to give or replace the cover when they raped me.... i check all fuses thursday n they are all fine.... :/

I think the fuse pattern is also laid out in the manual. But, if all the fuses are fine then, you've got another problem. On a different car, the the short circuit actually burnt the wire off the connector to the cigarette holder, up to you whether dashboard surgery is in order. Search for the Jazzy install which describes the method to remove the console trim to access the ahstray assembly. It's actually fairly easy to do.

Archived