LegacyGT.com

Choosing Aftermarket Rims + Tires 2.5i Legacy

CTlegacy06

I have a 2006 2.5i Legacy to start off and I have the OEM 17inch 5spoke alloys with the Yoko Advan A82A's. I've been looking around the internet but the best deals I've found so far are on www.tirerack.com .

The combo I've got my eyes on now would be:

17x7.5 Enkei RPF1 (Black) listed at $976.34 shipped for 4 with lugs/rings.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/enkei_racing/swap/enkeir_rpf1_b_ci3_l.jpg

225/45/17 Continental ContiExtreme Contact listed at $486.80 shipped for 4 without Road Hazard (which I probably won't opt for anyway).

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/conti/co_contiextremecontact_ci2_l.jpg

Total would be $1463.14 and hopefully they mount the tires to rims and balance when they ship (I'll have to call for the details) and I'll just swap them on in my garage with my torque wrench. I think I'd be satisfied with this deal since the tires/rims seem to be better than OEM in every way (especially weight).

Should look like this:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniWheelSearchServlet?nonWinter=true&partNum=3797758048B&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5I&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Base+Model&wIndex=9&grid=true&sw=1024

I've read in the sticky thread that running 225/45/17 on a 7.5width rim should be fine without any fender rubbing and fender rolling needed, if not please correct me. Also I might swap to aftermarket suspension with a slight drop so I'm hoping this setup would not have an issue with that in the future. I'm not in a rush to swap but I'm hoping to do so sometime in the spring.

I'll have to look up the hub centers to make sure the rings they send me are the right ones, still searching for that. (Update: 73outer-56.1inner)

Other Options I might consider are:

17x7.5 OZ Alleggerita HLT (A bit more money) $1255 (4shipped)

17x7 Kosei K1TS (Cheaper/Lighter but not wide enough for 225/45 so I'd have to go with a 205/50) $827

225/45/17 Kumho Ecsta ASX (Cheaper but not as good imo) $424

225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS (lots more $$$) $738

225/45/17 Yokohama Advan S.4. (again more $$$) $633

Here's a nice Survey Comparison I found on Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS&width=225%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&tireSearch=true

If you have used these rims/tires or know a bit more please chime in.

I have a set of Advan S.4s on my legacy right now. Great tires especially coming from the A82. Quieter, less hydroplaning, better grip, all around better tire and it is definitely noticable

whats the most that you were looking to spend?

Well ofcourse cost is always an issue, just trying to get the best bang for buck. The Advan S4s would be nice, they are ranked higher in survey but I'm not sure they are $150 "better" than the Conti's, but thanks for the input.

Just got off the phone with Tirerack, they do mount and balance before shipping and they say its $1466 shipped with a $75rebate from Continental so $1391 total. So again I don't know if the Advans are $225 "better".

The only thing is that the rims do not come with center caps ($25 each so that adds another $100 back on) and they only carry zinc finished lugs, I'm looking to get a set of black lugs but that can always happen later. The specs on the lugs are 19mm head, 12mmX1.25 thread pitch. And the centercaps I'm wondering if I can find for cheaper than $100.

Edit: I found this site: www.racerwheel.com and I'm going to ask them if these lugs: http://www.racerwheel.com/mut-41885b.html are the right spec for these rims. They go for 55 each and 33 shipped so like 90 total... I think I'll just find a way to spray paint the zinc chrome lugs from tirerack and clear coat them or something lol.

+1 for 225/45/17 Advan S.4 on 17x7.5 Enkei RPF-1

No rubbing on stock suspension. Keep in mind that the RPF-1s don't have center caps, and they're extra $$ if you want them for aesthetics.

The S.4s are nice AS tires, but I gather that the Contis and Bridgestones are too.

Because Advan A82a's are almost as bad as RE92's

I had some A82a's that came from the dealer, not the best tire in the world especially if you have to drive through heavy rainfall or snow. My Advan A82a's hydroplaned at least once a day if not more when i was on the highway, the RE92's that i had on my OB weren't even that bad

+1 for 225/45/17 Advan S.4 on 17x7.5 Enkei RPF-1

No rubbing on stock suspension. Keep in mind that the RPF-1s don't have center caps, and they're extra $$ if you want them for aesthetics.

The S.4s are nice AS tires, but I gather that the Contis and Bridgestones are too.

Yep the rep told me that the center caps are $25 EACH through them and I looked at one online and didn't really think it was worth it, I could always try to find something else generic to cap them with.

Yep I know the Advans are probably better but the cost difference would be $225!

$633 for the Advans vs $410 for the Conti's after rebate.

My question is why not go for 17x8 and a summer tire such as the Yokohama S.Drive since you already have all-seasons on the stockers? Either way, good choice on the RPF1!

Well I'm not going wider with the rims since 7.5 are enough to hold the 225/45 (which is already an improvement from 205/50 stock but keeping close aspect ratio).

This is on a daily driver and I need these to be all weather rain/snow so thats why I'm not considering summer only tires.

The stockers' tread is wearing so I wouldn't trust them for another winter season and I don't want to buy replacement tires for them at the moment.

I had some A82a's that came from the dealer, not the best tire in the world especially if you have to drive through heavy rainfall or snow. My Advan A82a's hydroplaned at least once a day if not more when i was on the highway, the RE92's that i had on my OB weren't even that bad

Yep this is why I don't want to have to "trust" my stock tires for another season, they are very sucky in the snow.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Oooh, understood. I'm still rolling on my A82A on stockers http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif again, excellent choice for the RPF-1, as for tires I'd personally spend the extra money for the Yokohama

You can do better on those prices.

Search the vendors here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115

or see if Tire Rack will price match.

Thanks, but I've had issues with buying off forums (with my other cars) in the past that I don't want to happen again. Sure I could save a bit but I also want piece of mind when I send my money out.

Plus if I get the tires/rims at the same place then they will mount for me (at least in the case of tirerack).

Have you thought about going through a local dealer? A lot of them will still match tirerack's price and it gives you someone local to call instead of tirerack

Well there's Town Fair Tire but they are such a shaddy operation, i will never trust with my car ever nor my families. They have no idea what directional tires are... Other places probably wouldn't match internet shops and again are probably shaddy in their install. If I'm going to pay the same as Tirerack as a local place Id rather go to Tirerack so at least I don't have to see the idiots working on my rims and car.

Thanks, but I've had issues with buying off forums (with my other cars) in the past that I don't want to happen again.

Did you even look at that link? :rolleyes:

Tire Rack is one of the venors that posts there as well as numerous other reputable wheel and auto parts retailers. All of whom can sell you wheel & tire combos.

I was not implying that you purchase used wheels from an individual, although that is certainly a possibility too.

Did you even look at that link? :rolleyes:

Tire Rack is one of the venors that posts there as well as numerous other reputable wheel and auto parts retailers. All of whom can sell you wheel & tire combos.

I was not implying that you purchase used wheels from an individual, although that is certainly a possibility too.

I looked, just didn't exactly find what I wanted at least in the recent posts, ill have to dig/search again when I get the chance.

If it helps, I have the Kumho ASX on my Mazda, and I like them.

Overall a good tire in the rain/snow/dry. No bulges, no uneven treadwear, etc.

Tirerack is also great. They mount and balance all wheel/tire combo's sold.

If it helps, I have the Kumho ASX on my Mazda, and I like them.

Overall a good tire in the rain/snow/dry. No bulges, no uneven treadwear, etc.

Tirerack is also great. They mount and balance all wheel/tire combo's sold.

Ya I think I will eventually go with the Kumho ASX whenever I decide to mount new tires on my stock alloys, but ya I like how Tirerack will mount/balance the combo so that when I receive em I'll be practically ready to go after a little air and some grunt work in my garage.

Falken makes some good, affordable tires as far as i know.

For wheels, I like SSR (little bit pricier, but i like the style, quality and develpment that go into them).

+1 for Falken, I have the... ze329(i think, ill check later tonight). They are kind of noisy, but they are very sticky(especially after warming them up a bit). I was tearing up some country backroads the other day, working these tires to death! I love the sound of tires squealing :) I love them in the rain also, feels as if the road is not even wet.

• 2 weeks later...

So my first impressions are very good! A slight increase acceleration, though a more significant increase in braking and handling.

If i do the math out i save like 8lbs per corner vs stock setup and so it should feel about 100-150lbs lighter, or about 18% weight reduction on wheels, so about 4% increase in overall power efficiency if i estimate drivetrain loss. Also i increased the patch area by about 10% and these are rated better in every category from dry/wet/snow traction. I just drove through a very rainy night and had no problems. So for 1400 after rebate I'm very satisfied, ill probably take pictures once i get to cleaning the car and ill probably spray paint the calibers black since the iron/rust are seen more now.

this is the truth! hydroplane all the time. and with light slushy snow, you basically slide like you're on ice every time you try to stop. they are decently quiet and ride good on the highway though.

I just got back from driving in the blizzard today and it was night and day compared to my old advans. No problems, and even when i over steered or took a turn a little too fast, there was very little i needed to do to correct myself while with the advans id do a fish tail.

Archived