LegacyGT.com

Chiming type sound coming from the engine?

Omen

I wrote about this before but I wasen't sure how to describe the sound. Now that I listen to it more when I rev the car 2k-3k or start out in first, reving it to get it going 2k or so I hear a chiming type sound that comes from the engine.

It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it the sound is certainly audible and is somewhat in the background of the regular engine noise. It is not a grinding sound it is more of a metallic chiming noise. Anyone experience this? Anyone know if it sounds like a problem or if it is normal?

Thanks.

Okay the sound is more like a slight ringing noise. Faint but there. I guess I am the only one that listens that close to the engine cause I can't be the only one with a legacy that has this sound. I guarantee I'm not that privileged.

Does it sound like it's clanking? It may be the 'heat shield' being loose, or something to that effect? Mine does it when I start out in first, with a little bit of a load on the car...but I don't worry about it too much. It's there, it's annoying, and when I take it to the dealer next time around, it will be fixed.

not a clanking sound really like a faint metallic ringing sound. It is really hard to describe. I haven't been able to check the build date yet but I will tonight. Probably nothing but I hate not knowing what something is. I guess I will just let it go unless it gets worse. Thanks.

Archived