LegacyGT.com

check engine light help..egt sensor

You unplug your EGT and put the resistor in its steed. (Its one of the steps for gutting the uppipe.)
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 2 years later...

I've read every thread and never saw a full explanation so I'll post my experience here.

Back in 2006 I purchased a brand new Legacy Spec B. Soon after I went stage 2 with Cobb UPPIPE, Cobb Downpipe, Access Port and full Catback Exhaust (borla)

Since the Inconel Cobb Uppipe had a port for my existing EGT sensor I used it.

(probably a bad idea looking back)

Several years later on a long trad trip my car went into limp mode.

I had code P1544 (exhaust gas temperature high)

I pulled off the road and tried resetting ECU with the access port.

After an hour or so I finally was able to clear the code and get back on the road.

Car was fine for a couple of years.

More recently this same thing happened again.

I tried the same steps as above and all was good.

Then it happened again only a few weeks later.

This time I was unable to clear the code.

I pulled the egt sensor out of the harness in the engine bay and reset the ECU with the access port. I've been driving HARD for 200 miles and haven't seen the code or limp mode since.

My guess is that since my Access Port tune deletes the CEL for missing EGT sensor that I don't need it plugged in. However, since I DID have it plugged in it was occasionally tripping up the ECU with a temperature too high reading (P1544).

Anyone care to chime in and confirm this?

Anyways, I think the problem was I never should have left the EGT sensor installed.

I've just ordered a plug for the UPPIPE and hopefully that will be the end of it.

I have NOT installed the resistor as I don' think I need to since the missing EGT sensor code has been removed with the "tune"

However, I'll update this thread if the limp mode comes back and at that time I'll try the resistor if needed.

Any thoughts appreciated.

So Cobb AP stage 2 doesn't cancel that code ?

The 2.2k ohm resistors come from radio shack, just ask the guy at the counter for a 2.2k ohm resistor. He'll do the rest.

Package of 5 for a $1.25

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In Open Source and COBB, when you delete a code, you delete the CODE, not the issue.

When the ECU doesn't get a "happy" temp reading from the EGT, it can have delays switching from open loop to closed loop and vice versa. The 2.2kOhm resistor makes the ECU think the EGT's are in a happy place so you don't get the delay.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The EGT sensor is in place to protect against burnt valves and overheated cat. A kind of last resort option if things goes wrong.

But if you have mods on the car it may get incorrect reading, so just throw in a resistor.

453747.png

In Open Source and COBB, when you delete a code, you delete the CODE, not the issue.

When the ECU doesn't get a "happy" temp reading from the EGT, it can have delays switching from open loop to closed loop and vice versa. The 2.2kOhm resistor makes the ECU think the EGT's are in a happy place so you don't get the delay.

Do you know the temp. that the ECU switches between open loop & closed loop. About a year ago I forgot the resistor & don't live close to a Radio Shack. So on a Sunday I did this blow. The car runs fine, but is 698F hot enough for normal switch between open loop & closed loop

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived