LegacyGT.com

Check engine light

devobuzz

Just picked up my new Legacy GT today. Drove 20 miles and the check engine light came on (steady) and also the cruise light on the dash started to flash. Any ideas? I'll check the gas cap. I'm gonna bring it back tomorrow and let everyone know what the problem was. Thanks. Ralph

[quote name='devobuzz']Just picked up my new Legacy GT today. Drove 20 miles and the check engine light came on (steady) and also the cruise light on the dash started to flash. Any ideas? I'll check the gas cap. I'm gonna bring it back tomorrow and let everyone know what the problem was. Thanks. Ralph[/quote] I had the exact same thing happened. Less than 24 hours later, it went off. I haven't taken it in yet, but am in a couple of weeks, Let me know what you are told! thanks, Rob

Well I brought the car back to the Subaru dealer today - they ran the codes and came up with a DTC2097 - rear cat system too rich. They had to call Subaru tech support since they car is so new. Dealer told me it was possibly the front O2 sensor or wiring problem. Now they must run through the whole diagnostic flow chart but couldn't do it today because it takes awhile. I'm going to have to bring it back next week. Well the bright side is it's running too rich instead of too lean! Wiring problems are a major PITA so I hope this is not an omen for things to come...

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm going to be away on holiday next week so it's a good time to bring it in and I won't need a loaner car. But I'm going to try to get a free set of service manuals out of them for my troubles. Ralph

Had the car in for service for 3 days this week. They couldn't find a problem with it so I picked it up. Of course the CEL came on again today. How many tries does the dealer have to fix the problem before the car comes under the LEMON law? I think it's 3...

The CEL came on again this weekend so I brought it in again today. They replaced the front O2 sensor. Hopefully it's fixed but it shouldn't take 3 trips to the dealer to diagnose a faulty O2 sensor! Oh yeah one other thing - they gave me a 2.5i as a loaner. Wow what a difference! I would've never bought a 2.5i - it's slooow. Buy a GT!!!! (Sorry, no offense to 2.5i owners)

[quote name='devobuzz']Had the car in for service for 3 days this week. They couldn't find a problem with it so I picked it up. Of course the CEL came on again today. How many tries does the dealer have to fix the problem before the car comes under the LEMON law? I think it's 3...[/quote] its more complicated then 3 times. has to be "out of service" for some thing like 30 days with in 1 year or some thing. google it i googled it. [url]http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/[/url] (kind of a slap in the face web site title ) :lol:

• 5 months later...
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica][size=2]Just got my new OB last night. Drove for about 30 minutes, stopped for dinner got back in and noticed some problems with my gauges. The fuel tank was full when I stopped, but when I started again it read low fuel, check engine light was on, and cruise control light was flashing. Just concerned b'cause I just traded my 03 WRX with 38K and never a problem. Hope the new OB will be the same. Any fixes yet?[/size][/font] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Thanks[/size] [size=2]Rob[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2][/size]

read in the manual... the check engine light/flashing cruise light is due to incidently hitting the cruise control while turning on the ignition. The resulting flashing is reset by turning the key to off or ACC then restarting the car! <--This is what, or similar to what it says! (I can't recall the section, but I'll check if you want) But, the way to make it stop is tricky and I can't quite get it to stop with out a couple of tries usually! I think what works is turning the car's ignition to the position where everything goes off except the stereo; hitting the switch (little button) for the cruise on/off; then restarting the car! Anyway you look at it, it's stupid and it shouldn't happen, but Subaru obviously knew it happened and just added it to the manual!

I've got the same bad O2 in my 05 RS, and have been getting the run around from the dealer. The full rant is here: [url]http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=20525[/url] But to make a long story short the O2's are on a national back order and have been since mid January. The SOA rep I talked to didn't flat say they were faulty but hinted at it. It's causing me serious stress.

I picked up my 05 Limted Legacy GT Wagon on Monday. The check engine light has been on the whole time and the cruise control light has been blinking as well. I dropped it off for service today. The service department has called me and told me that they think the whole computer is possibly bad and are going to replace it with one from a known working Legacy GT 05 to see if that is the problem. If that is the problem then they are going to order a new computer... At first they thought it was an O2 sensor, but that turned out not to be it. Could it need a whole new computer? That seems like a major defect!!

[quote name='harleybl']I picked up my 05 Limted Legacy GT Wagon on Monday. The check engine light has been on the whole time and the cruise control light has been blinking as well. I dropped it off for service today. The service department has called me and told me that they think the whole computer is possibly bad and are going to replace it with one from a known working Legacy GT 05 to see if that is the problem. If that is the problem then they are going to order a new computer... At first they thought it was an O2 sensor, but that turned out not to be it. Could it need a whole new computer? That seems like a major defect!![/QUOTE] A couple members here had the ECU replaced so it does happen. The symptoms for these members were an engine fan that never shut off. I wouldn't worry about you're car being a lemon just yet. Good luck, Brian

Archived