LegacyGT.com

Charged with reckless driving

wimwam

Allright people I need an opinion. So I was driving down the Dulles Toll Road (267 for those number folks) and got nabbed doing 100/55. The cop (Fairfax County) nailed me just before I got off my exit (7100), they pulled me over right after the exit's toll booth. I got summoned to court on May 23rd. Currently I have 1 point on my record with 2 speeding tickets in the past two years (1-9 over(still on record) & 10+ over). My question is should I get a lawyer? Honestly 100 is fast and I surely didn't feel like I was doing 100. They nailed me about 3/4 of a mile before the exit because they said they saw me changing lanes and getting off the exit. I know I didn't hit the breaks that hard to exit and I had to come to a stop behind a guy actually paying with cash. Obviously my story won't hold up in court against the cop but is a lawyer worth it. I'm ok with paying the fine and possibly some driving school, just don't want to get the suspended license and possible jail time. Apparently lately judges have been handing out jail time to those over 90 mph. Anyways thanks for the input.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I was driving down the Dulles Toll Road (267 for those number folks) and got nabbed doing 100/55

you're screwed with or without a lawyer... I never do that at all on 267.. that's just begging for a ticket. (the judge is going to fine you pretty deep on this one just because it's on 267 and make you as example for the rest of the people in court). I dont think a lawyer can help you much here being VA and all and being on the Dulles Toll Road, but if you have money to drop the dough, do it, it beats better than sitting in jail.

Keefe

Dang wimwam. I'd post up in that thread and ask Danattyfatty. I think that ticket is 5 points. It being 45mph over... and reckless can be more than 5 points I think.

Good luck! I've been in points trouble before, 11 points. I know how bad insurance companies will charge you... and it's not fun. Being 22 with 11 points, my insurance was $550 a month at one point! I had to sell the car and quickly change my driving attitude. It's gone back to it's old ways after I got this car! I got nailed 30 over on rt.50 3 weeks after I bought the car. I need to learn how to tone it down. Cruise control is my friend... :lol:

I would invest in a lawyer. The fine is one thing, but the amount of money you will be paying over time in insurance is a major kick in the arse!

Unfortunately I am serious, what happened was that I was in the left lane, realized that my exit was coming up (it was a verrry long weekend) and so I hit the gas and proceeded to move over to the right lane. Honestly I do not think I hit 100 since like I said, it was about 3/4 of a mile to accelerate up to 100 then back down to like 35 to get off the exit. Seems a little fishy to me. Anyways the toll road is a very fast moving road, I can go 60 and get passed like im standing still some days. So I guess a lawyer is the way to go.

Edit: Believe me I never do anything like that on 267 just happened to be one of those bad days i guess.

Unfortunately I am serious, what happened was that I was in the left lane, realized that my exit was coming up (it was a verrry long weekend) and so I hit the gas and proceeded to move over to the right lane. Honestly I do not think I hit 100 since like I said, it was about 3/4 of a mile to accelerate up to 100 then back down to like 35 to get off the exit. Seems a little fishy to me. Anyways the toll road is a very fast moving road, I can go 60 and get passed like im standing still some days. So I guess a lawyer is the way to go.

Edit: Believe me I never do anything like that on 267 just happened to be one of those bad days i guess.

And you dont have a radar detector because?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

What he said. Unfortunately they are illegal in VA, and the guy must've picked me up quick cause it was right over the other side of a crest. Well lets hope that the lawyer can help with getting stuff reduced, I can deal with the fine and traffic school if need be, just not the jail time or serious points.

Honestly I do not think I hit 100 since like I said, it was about 3/4 of a mile to accelerate up to 100 then back down to like 35 to get off the exit. Seems a little fishy to me.

actually, the car is that fast ;) it happens pretty quickly, especially if you doing it from a roll of alread 65 mph.

Keefe

And you dont have a radar detector because?

It's illegal in VA. If he did, he woulda found himself in suuper doo doo :lol:

shhh, he's not local, he could find out for himself if he ventures down here some time ;):lol::icon_bigg

Keefe

actually, the car is that fast ;) it happens pretty quickly, especially if you doing it from a roll of alread 65 mph.

+1 that's how I got nabbed 30 over the first 3 weeks after I got my car. Went to pass a truck and bam... just my luck a State trooper steps out in the middle of highway traffic to pull me over. I swear MD State is craaaaazzzy!!!

Well, route 50 has their own rules too.. like the 24/7 HOV lane.. doesnt matter if it's 3am on a Sunday morning and you are the only one on the road on 50, if you are traveling on the HOV by yourself, you will get fined.

The straighter the road, the more it worries me.. it's like a speed-trap heaven.

Keefe

Well, I wish you good luck. But DEFINITELY get a lawyer

+1 to the above ,,you were stupid,you admit you were stupid,so dont be stupid again and go in without a lawyer that is well versed in traffic court issues.:icon_wink

Kind of interesting that I found this (according to MD MVA Point System)

"Out-of-State tickets will have no points assessed except for manslaughter resulting from driving, DUI of drugs or alcohol, using a motor vehicle in a felony or failing to stop in an accident resulting in injury or death. Even though points are not assessed, the violation is still posted to driving record."

Still going to go in with a lawyer, apparently a guy at my work got tagged doing 91 in a 55 and using this lawyer got away with 2 point speeding ticket ($150 fine) plus legal fees (like 1500), beats jail/suspension/crazy insurance anyday

Kind of interesting that I found this (according to MD MVA Point System)

"Out-of-State tickets will have no points assessed except for manslaughter resulting from driving, DUI of drugs or alcohol, using a motor vehicle in a felony or failing to stop in an accident resulting in injury or death. Even though points are not assessed, the violation is still posted to driving record."

Still going to go in with a lawyer, apparently a guy at my work got tagged doing 91 in a 55 and using this lawyer got away with 2 point speeding ticket ($150 fine) plus legal fees (like 1500), beats jail/suspension/crazy insurance anyday

That may hold true if you got a ticket in PA, DE, NY, and other states, but I think VA/MD/DC are all linked with interchangeable points system... you might have to check up on that..

Keefe

Archived