LegacyGT.com

changing the oil

jzolli, welcome to our forums. Here is a do-it-yourself, with pics

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540

The original link went dead, try this one

http://www.xmission.com/~gold/2005_Legacy_GT_Oil.pdf

It is very easy and straight forward, you should be able to figure it out with no instructions.

If I were you I would look at that section in depth, it has a lot of items covered, from oil change to pretty much taking the motor apart.

It's pretty easy. The only PITA thing on mine was that some oil spilled onto the skid plate and dripped out for a few days after.

Something someone showed me this summer: fill up the new oil filter about 1/2 way with new oil before putting it on. Makes it so there's no drop in oil pressure while it fills up or something. My $.02.

yeah you can pay if you arent confident or just dont like getting dirty :lol: Ive changed my oil since mile 3000 and it really is a easy job. I change my oil for the price of a OEM subaru filter and a gallon of 5w-30 ($22 total) but with a turbo you cant get cheap oil like use 2.5i guys you really need to get quality stuff for yout turbo's sake.

Oh boy this could turn into this weeks which oil is best thread....

I use whatever oil is cheapest and I use Fram filters. Buy them from Walmart. 115,000 miles and my original turbo is happy at 16.25psi of boost.

I did break down last time and use Walmart synthetic gear lube in the tranny and rearend.

Remember to jack up from the pasenger side, it makes less of a mess that way. OH yea, use a jack stand too, safety first.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I dont know about you guys, but I always take mine to the dealer, Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs only charges 17.99 for the oil change and inspection.... cant really beat it considering i dont have to clean up or dipose of the oil.

I take care of my own car. no dealer will ever do the change oil for me. I had incident where they kept my dip stick, and not put it back on the car. Or they took 5 mins to do the change oil, meaning they did not properly drain the old oil out... I let my car drain the old oil for an hour. LOL! thats just me. :D

I dont know about you guys, but I always take mine to the dealer, Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs only charges 17.99 for the oil change and inspection.... cant really beat it considering i dont have to clean up or dipose of the oil.

Dude, im in the springs too, WTB some cruising friends, lol.

Btw, for everyone else, you can reuse the crush washer at least once, dont overtighten and ur fine.

Remember to jack up from the pasenger side, it makes less of a mess that way. OH yea, use a jack stand too, safety first.

Get some cheap ramps at auto zone, they work great and you can use them for all your vehicles.

They must have miracle oil.... synthetic oil costs around $4.50 a quart.. and the filter... shoot.. must be a great bargain! Last time I asked for an approximate price at my dealer they said it was in the $55 range.

I always do it myself, peace of mind. I've seen someone pull their car in and the oil change literally was "done" before this lady filled in all the forms for a new customer. I call total BS on that one..

They must have miracle oil.... synthetic oil costs around $4.50 a quart.. and the filter... shoot.. must be a great bargain! Last time I asked for an approximate price at my dealer they said it was in the $55 range.

I always do it myself, peace of mind. I've seen someone pull their car in and the oil change literally was "done" before this lady filled in all the forms for a new customer. I call total BS on that one..

Pretty sure the dealer just uses non-synthetic because that's what Subaru recommends...

Archived