LegacyGT.com

changing from dyno to amsoil synthetic.

i'm going from the Dealer supplies Castrol gtx 5w30 to amsoil 5W30 XLF full synthetic. what does everybody suggest for oil change intervals?

the dino was 6000km's, i'm figuring 10000km's would be about right.

http://www.a1lubricants.com/images/5w30.jpg

any thoughts?

just make sure to change it. i know it sounds funny, but we've had some people that use amsoil think that they don't have to change their oil anymore; it'll go about 20k miles and then that's when the fun starts. i have had good luck with vehicles that have used it and still changed their oil reg----about 10k miles---

I'm thinking of switching to amsoil myself, after many years of running mobil 1 in all of our vehicles. If you believe what's published, amsoil is "the shit". As far as change interval, listen to what amsoil themselves recommend.

[i'M NOT SURE BUT THIS IS WHAT I HEARD]

Amsoil is not API certified because it contains high amounts of phosphorus. Amsoil claims it is a great anti-wear additive and API claims it damages your cat. Blown cat in up-pipe + turbo = nightmare.

[/i'M NOT SURE BUT THIS IS WHAT I HEARD]

As with any oil, send it to a repuatable analysis lab to make sure everything is what it is supposed to be. I'm using GC 0-30 and it seems to be running great.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Amsoil is not API certified because it contains high amounts of phosphorus. Amsoil claims it is a great anti-wear additive and API claims it damages your cat. Blown cat in up-pipe + turbo = nightmare.

As with any oil, send it to a repuatable analysis lab to make sure everything is what it is supposed to be. I'm using GC 0-30 and it seems to be running great.

I get my oil changes at the dealership. It might be more money, but its less hastle for me. They take me to work and pick me up after work to pick my car up. I go by what the handbook tells me as far as when to change it.

It might be overkill, but I would rather play overkill and keep my engine running better.
Good for you. I was just pointing out that wasn't the normal schedule.

Personally, I go 5,000 on synthetic (Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30).

i just meant what does subaru allow for change intervalls if i use synthetic?

Same as any other oil, synthetic or not doesn't matter to Subaru.

Most folks probably meet the "severe" service definition, unless you live in the boonies or spend most of your time on the highway.

i just meant what does subaru allow for change intervalls if i use synthetic?

Thank you for contacting us.

We hope that you are enjoying driving your 2006 Legacy GT! The vehicles manufactured at our plant in Lafayette install oil with a weight of SAE 5W-30. Subaru recommends that you contact your local Subaru dealer for the availability and pricing of Genuine Subaru fluids.

As for synthetic oil, this is your decision. Our Technical Services Department advised that if you do decide to use synthetic oil, that you always use it because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

We recommend that you first change the oil in your 2006 Legacy at 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine oil.

Synthetic engine oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for the refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of any engine oil.

Engine Oil Guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds the API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

The above is what I received from Subaru America on this subject. I plan to change my oil at 3,000 miles probably to a synthetic then stick to the book to keep my warranty current.

Bob:icon_wink

Good for you. I was just pointing out that wasn't the normal schedule.

Personally, I go 5,000 on synthetic (Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30).

We are using Pennzoil Platinum in all of our legacys and I am changing it every 8K miles. I'd like to run it up to 10K but I figure 8K is pretty sweet considering the beating our cars take....lots of dirt and dust and some of it gets by the air filter and into the oil.

According to bitog.com, Pennzoil Platinum is not a true synthetic oil and neither is mobile1....group3 oil, whatever that means. It's a great oil for sure and it's $19 for a 5qrt bottle at Walmart.

As far as I know, Amsoil is not APR certified. I've been using Mobil 1 since it came out and see absolutely no reason to change. Mobil 1 is a true synthetic, unlike some "synthetics" that are hydro-cracked from dino oil. Mobil 1 IS NOT A GROUP III OIL.

I also run Delvac 1 (Mobil1 for diesels) in my F250. Given how much the Powerstroke engine costs (as well as the Subaru's) I absoluely refuse to use a non - API certified oil. I do not want Ford or Subaru to ask why I was using a non APi certfied oil if I make a warranty claim.

Amsoil claims they do not want to pay for API certification, yet the certification is my only guarentee that an oil meets manufacturer's specifications.

I change my Mobil 1 per factory recommended intervals. If I were using dino oil, I would change it twice as often.

According to bitog.com, Pennzoil Platinum is not a true synthetic oil and neither is mobile1....group3 oil, whatever that means. It's a great oil for sure and it's $19 for a 5qrt bottle at Walmart.

WTF? I wouldn't be taking any automotive advice from that site?

Mobil 1 is a true synthetic. Group III oils are made from a dino oil base stock.

pretty sure that's what those guys are claiming about M1.

I think they know a little about oil...certainly more than I.

I could care less really, I just want good stuff in my cars and mobile1 and Pennzoil Platinum are both fine for what we are doing. The mobile1 is a better rated oil than the Pennzoil Platinum but it's a little more loot as well.

It's like any information you find on the interweb, you gotta sift through the BS and conduct some research on your own to get good info. To say that nobody at bitog.com has a clue is a little wacky IMO. I think they are a little nutty for being sooooooooo into motor oil but someones got to do it.

pretty sure that's what those guys are claiming about M1.

I think they know a little about oil...certainly more than I.

I could care less really, I just want good stuff in my cars and mobile1 and Pennzoil Platinum are both fine for what we are doing. The mobile1 is a better rated oil than the Pennzoil Platinum but it's a little more loot as well.

It's like any information you find on the interweb, you gotta sift through the BS and conduct some research on your own to get good info. To say that nobody at bitog.com has a clue is a little wacky IMO. I think they are a little nutty for being sooooooooo into motor oil but someones got to do it.

Bitog.com appears to be a travel website. Crap. Did you mean BobIsTheOilGuy??? Mobil 1 is a Group IV PAO. Call Mobil, speak with a chemist and find out. I did. Further, Mobil sued Castrol years ago after Castrol started selling its Group III (made from petroleum basestocks) oil as a "full synthetic." The lawsuit was over the definition of synthetic. The court sided with Castrol's claim that a petroleum base stock could be changed into a synthetic (something not found in nature) by various processes. Mobil has always defined a synthetic oil as being manufactured from man-made compounds.

On my wrx before i changed to GC I used M1 and would consume about a quart to a quart and a half between oil changes. The local guys swear on not using M1. Someone came up with the percentages that 99% of subaru's that have spun a bearing was using M1 oil. I changed to GC and dont consume a drop ever since the change and even use it on the LGT now. I have always said I would cha nge my oil every 3k because even if synthetic is good for 5k to 10k oil still gets dirty and keeping dirty oil in my car for that long just doesnt apeal to me that well. Anyways thats my 2 cents

Archived