LegacyGT.com

CEL P0171 (System Too Lean)...what is causing it?

HansGT

Here's the deal....

Stage 2 install. Had to re-use original lower up pipe gasket. Did have hose pop off at T connection, but has been zip tied at all points. Seems to be holding fine....no noticable hissss and I've felt under the intercooler....zip ties in place. (will go back and change out for metal clamps)

What happens....at idle the car sometimes wants to dip below 500 RPM, when this happens I get the CEL. This should just be an exhaust leak or something right? A new gasket should fix?

Your thoughts....

:whore: Generally lean codes point to a post MAF leak. Make sure all connections from MAF to manifold are sealed.

we didn't touch anything near the air box. could it be the connection post intercooler? err do you mean the manifold/hose connection pre blue T?

I had this same issue; mine wasn’t the blue T but rather where that T connected to the intake manifold.

Here are the procedures for troubleshooting this code, start there (From the Vacation pics Page 65 from -> C:\Documents and Settings\rclark\My Documents\Tuning\Legacy GT Manual\10 - Engine Diagnostics\ 18 - Diagnostic Procedures With Diagnostic Trouble Codes.pdf)

I had this same issue; mine wasn’t the blue T but rather where that T connected to the intake manifold

Yeah...that one popped off about 5 minutes into my first stage 2 drive. The second i got near 17psi...POP!....HISSSSSSSS....rough idle.....no CEL. I've since zip tied it. Last time i checked the zip was holding, but maybe it's on and the hose is just working itself off the manifold? I'll double check that connection though, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after the setup went in to my car I drove it home and must have popped a vacuum hose off. It idled like craped,wouldn't go above 12psi and you could here the leak. Shortly after I came up with 5 error codes: P0171, P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304.

So today I said that it, I have to fix this. I took off the TMIC knowing what to look for and found a vacuum hose discounted to the intake manifold. From start to finish only maybe 20mins. Sure makes the setup seem better with full boost.

I replaced my T for one with barbs and then zip tied. I also super glued and zip tied the one to the manifold. No probs yet Its been a year. I also zip tied the TMIC with HVAC zip ties. BIG Suckers. It is holding together as well. My dealer loves them:lol: He told me if the zip ties break he won't warrenty them.

I replaced my T for one with barbs and then zip tied. I also super glued and zip tied the one to the manifold. No probs yet Its been a year. I also zip tied the TMIC with HVAC zip ties. BIG Suckers. It is holding together as well. My dealer loves them:lol: He told me if the zip ties break he won't warrenty them.

Where did you get the barbed connector?

for the barb connector....be sure it's the same interior diameter as stock. I read somewhere you could have problems otherwise.:confused:

all three of my "T" connection points are clamped with metal clamps. The hose connection to the manifold is near impossible to get to with a metal clamp and be able to screw it down. Double zip tied it. Zip tied e vap hose and zip tied the BOV connection.

Archived