LegacyGT.com

CEL on and off

I am having a bit of an issue with my 06 OBXT over the last few days. On Wednesday I had my CEL come on with flashing cruise light while I was driving home from work, there was no sign it was coming it just popped on. Thursday morning I ran the code and got P0011. I disconnected the negative battery cable and the CEL was gone, until Friday morning when it came back on. I drove about 25 miles on Friday with the CEL on and then this mornjng (Saturday) for ten miles. When I got back in my car and started it back up the light is gone.

Anyone have any ideas? I checked the oil and it's fine and all maintenance is up to date. I have 118k miles.

http://i.imgur.com/HgCgiSUh.jpg

Read through the thread, lots of good info. I am only intermittently throwing the P0011 code and that's it, no misfire code.

Car still seems to be running perfect but I should probably still drop it off somewhere to have it looked at.

The CEL was off all day yesterday, came back on today while I was driving to drop my son off at school and now it's back off. What in the world is going on with this car, it shouldn't be cycling on and off this often right?

Happend to my wife driving over the grapevine (I5) back to Nor Cal.

Glad I left the AP in the car and walked them through hookup and clearing the CEL.

I just replaced both Cam sensors and was gone. Should have done the crank sensor while I was at it.

Put a can of engine flush like Gunk Motor flush and then change the oil.

Most likely the banjo filter is dirty.

Listen to the sound the turbo makes. P0011 and P0021 are normally the first sign the turbo is going.

Mine whinned after both those CEL's. about 1000 miles later it whistled one morning close to home. I turned around parked it and ordered a new turbo.

The CEL will clear after 4 engine starts in most cases.

Also the CC light will always flash when you have a CEL.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The P0011 and 0021 are normally problems with the oil control valves. Bank 1 passenger side, Bank 2 drivers side.

When the new ej157 went in I removed the front BB filter too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Put a can of engine flush like Gunk Motor flush and then change the oil.

Most likely the banjo filter is dirty.

Listen to the sound the turbo makes. P0011 and P0021 are normally the first sign the turbo is going.

Mine whinned after both those CEL's. about 1000 miles later it whistled one morning close to home. I turned around parked it and ordered a new turbo.

The CEL will clear after 4 engine starts in most cases.

Also the CC light will always flash when you have a CEL.

I have never had the P0021 code in my car. Car is still running as perfect as it ever has, no sounds, no driveability or performance issues whatsoever. Hoping its just the cold and/or tomorrows maintenance takes care of the issue.

I had this happen to me right before I had my turbo failure. Not trying to scare you saying that your turbo is about to blow but I think I have an answer for you.

I can't remember where I saw it or who told me but apparently that code can be caused from a malfunctioning Oil Control Valve (which i'm starting to think is the reason I had a turbo failure)

Is your car going into limp mode when this light comes on.

I know mine did but that could also be because my turbo was on its way out.

But to be safe I just order a new oil control valve from subaru ($90 I want to say) and I am also upgrading the oil feed lines to the turbo with the one sold by infamous performance.

Hopefully this helps you a little

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't think that's the problem. I had the oil changed and it was a little less than a quart low, and after the oil change which was a week ago I have been check engine light free. Car has been and continues to run perfectly. I never went into limp mode before, the light would just pop on out of the blue.

If its coming on and off, it could be the ocv itself. But the problem usually stems from the banjo bolt, the passenger side banjo bolt splits and feeds the turbo and passenger ocv. The p0011 i believe is passenger side ocv, I would inspect the banjo bolt immediately. If the banjo bolt filter is clogged, that's probably your problem, if not move to the next part in the line, the ocv, if not your oil is just really dirty.

First thing to check is the Banjo bolt as most people suggested. Then pull out the OCV and inspect it to see if the valve is sticking or stuck. If the valve is stuck then there will not be enough pressure going to the AVCS which will normally through the code P0011 or P0021.

Changing the oil may help, but if the OCV is on it's way out, it's best just to replace it.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I agree. A lot of the guys on here say you should clean those banjo filters every oil change just to make sure they are clear and don't affect your oil flow. But I also agree to go ahead and replace your OCV because its a $90 part that can cost you a lot more if it continues to fail

First thing to check is the Banjo bolt as most people suggested. Then pull out the OCV and inspect it to see if the valve is sticking or stuck. If the valve is stuck then there will not be enough pressure going to the AVCS which will normally through the code P0011 or P0021.

Changing the oil may help, but if the OCV is on it's way out, it's best just to replace it.

"Oil Control Valve is the term for the solenoid valves that regulate the oil pressure driving the intake cam sprockets to clock themselves relative to the camshaft. In one position the OCVs will pressurize the system to advance the cam timing, another position to retard the timing, and the final position to lock the sprocket in place."

It runs on oil pressure, if the oil lines are blocked (banjo bolt filter) then the ocv will not function properly, hence cel. Being that the turbo and ocv share the same oil feed, that code is often related to turbos dying because it usually indicates an oil problem.

I agree. A lot of the guys on here say you should clean those banjo filters every oil change just to make sure they are clear and don't affect your oil flow. But I also agree to go ahead and replace your OCV because its a $90 part that can cost you a lot more if it continues to fail

Most people remove the filter and move on!

Archived