LegacyGT.com

What CBE is louder, SPT or Borla?

veritas

I think I've narrowed it down to these two . Stock 08' LGT by the way.

Oh and I thought I heard the SPT sits a little low...Any truth to that? I live in NYC and I don't wanna loose the exhaust driving through Brooklyn. If the Borla sits higher up , that might be a plus.

Thanks,

Vin C

Youtube has sound clips of both exhausts. With the stock catted down pipe you'll be able to keep it relatively quiet. I don't own either, but if I was to choose between the two my decision would probably be based more on the way the mufflers look than on the exhaust note. From what I've heard they both sound very nice. I have always been in love with the SPT, but I couldn't justify the cost. I've been stage two for a while now with the stock CBE and am getting the X02 set-up because it's economical and pretty well liked (and I could buy three of them for less than the price of the SPT).

Sound clips from youtube will give you some idea of tone, but sound level depends on too many other factors involving the actual recording equipment. However, from what I've read on other forums, the Borla is the most subdued of the aftermarket CBEs. That being said, it is also consistent that it still brings out the rumble under high revs nicely.

The SPT does sit a tad lower but is not really that low when mounted. If you are on stock suspension you should be fine. I am Cobb Stage 1 with SPT and I love it. The SPT is a high quality piece and worth the $.

I have an SPT. The Y pipe is fairly visible from the rear, especially because it's polished stainless steel. As far as losing your exhaust, I doubt you'll have to worry about that, unless you lower your car a significant amount. I drive around all over NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan), and I have yet to bottom out. I'm at stock height.

As for noise, SPT should be louder because it's a 3" exhaust that tapers down to about 2.5" at the flange to mate with the stock downpipe.

The Borla exhaust I believe is 2.5" all the way through and also includes a resonator. SPT does NOT have a resonator. I have no idea how the Borla looks though so I can't help you there.

I had the dealer put an SPT on when I bought the car.. I like it, though i've never heard anything else so I cannot give a good opinion.. It DOES look really nice, and it has a nice deep sound that sets off car alarms which always makes me smile.

i've never set off a car alarm with my Borla, if that tells you anything about volume. the CBE is nearly silent inside the car at stock or Stage 1 levels...add an aftermarket down pipe for stage 2 and it gets a little louder inside and outside as well (i'm stage 2). cant comment on the height of the two, though.

Borla keeps a relatively stock look. tips are a little bigger, but it sits in the cutouts perfectly.

if you really want, you can hear and see my car in person. i work in brooklyn. has the SPT on it.... BUT I added a muffler to it (5" round magnaflow) so it's quieter because of that... but it's also louder because of an invidia catted downpipe.

but still, at least it'd be good for a look. lemme know.

I'm lowered about 1.75" in the front and 1.25" in the back with the SPT catback and not a scratch on the Y. And if it was going to bottom out it definitely would have already:lol: Unless you plan on hopping over curbs you should be ok.

I have a custom muffler delete exhaust setup i ran for a week. I thought the borla was too quiet. Tell you what, I really appreciate the borla after having the louder exhaust/drone. The borla gives you the nice sound, but it doesn't ruin the ride in the cabin whatsoever

sure, on the muffler sections, not the mid. I have the borla, im on pinks, and have never scraped the piping

yeah I think it goes to 2" at the y or "t" in the borla's case. The SPT maintains 2.75" in the Y, which I think is the largest of any aftermarket CBE's y pipe.

I have a custom muffler delete exhaust setup i ran for a week. I thought the borla was too quiet. Tell you what, I really appreciate the borla after having the louder exhaust/drone. The borla gives you the nice sound, but it doesn't ruin the ride in the cabin whatsoever

Your car sounds niceeeeeee!

Archived