LegacyGT.com

Catalytic Converters = $$$$$$$!!!!!!!

meliaant

hey folks...have 78,500 on my 2005 2.5i...CEL came on this past Thursday...gas cap trick didn't work, so I brought it do mechanic, who recommended bringing it to Subaru dealer...called me Friday, told me good news & bad news....bad news = need new catalytic converter; good news = still under warranty (barely; 80,000)...if not under warranty, would have cost $3800.00 (you read that right)...i recommend you have them checked now while under warranty before getting that nightmarish phone call...enjoy your day
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

hey that's what the service mgr. said...he said most manufacturers, not just subaru, charge exorbitant amounts of money (something to do with precious metals)...he said the warranty was 80K, but if it's 100K that sounds better...just trying to warn some us high-mileage folks
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

On GT models, DP < $3800 = non-issue.

I would have gone aftermarket or hit up a salvage yard if not covered under warranty on your car.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

cats have copper wound into them so it is worth $$$ on the black market. but $3800 is them ripping you off. call any dealership for a full exhaust today and you wont get even near that price.

It not just the copper, but there is also platinum in there as well.

Have a 2004 Outback. At the 30K svc, the CEL/blinking-CC was also on. Did svc and replaced all O2 sensors. At 40K CEL on again. All CATS were replaced. It took Carter Subaru in Seattle 4 days to diagnose as CATS costly repair item (had to get Subaru's OK, seemed hesitant). I was quoted $3500 to replace the CATS, if they weren't under warranty. This is a Calif spec car. At 80K I think I will sell as end of emission warranty period. There seems to be a recurrent problem here.

Archived