LegacyGT.com

"Caring for Subaru Turbocharged Engines"

"Proper turbocharger lubrication requires high-quality engine oil. Some oil cannot provide enough lubrication performance or durability when used in turbocharged engines. Poor-quality oil or oil not designed for turbo engines may cause damage to the turbocharger and other engine components."

They stop short of defining what proper oil is.

Krzys

Driving Tips

1. Do not rev the engine or accelerate past half throttle immediately after start-up. Oil requires time to heat up for full flow, and high-rpm driving with a cold engine can damage the turbocharger.
  2. After highway driving or high-load driving, allow the engine to cool by idling for at least 30 seconds before turning off the ignition.

AHH HAAH!!! I am finally vindicated after years of ridicule from freinds, family, and co-workers (not to mention the Car Talk guys, "Click and Clack.").

Interesting how SOA stuffed this article in the very back of this month's "Drive" magazine...I barely noticed it before getting ready to flush to crapper this morning.

Oh jebus, here comes the round of turbo timer questions again, hehe.

I don't and never probably will. Always some slow driving after these conditions. Whether cool down lap, drive back to pits, driving slowly on off-ramp to get gas, etc... Oil analyis has shown no issues at all. In fact I have the opposite problem in winter with short stops not letting the oil get hot enough.

-B

Important: A “track day” or autocross event requires an oil and oil filter change immediately before and immediately after the event. Make sure to check other engine fluid levels as well.

:rolleyes: I can see before or after, but both? That must just be overkill.

MODIFICATIONS

Engine modifications such as, but not limited to, adding a boost pressure controller, using a non-genuine aftermarket air intake or exhaust system, changing the air bypass valve, “chipping,” etc., may negatively affect the warranty.

Reading all of this, together with the recent revised oil-change schedules, says to me there are more blown turbos the SOA may have anticipated.

Reading all of this, together with the recent revised oil-change schedules, says to me there are more blown turbos the SOA may have anticipated.
Ya think? Goes along great with the Subaru Owner Newsletter for this month

Introducing Subaru

Super Coolant

Starting with the 2008 Impreza STI and all 2009 Subaru models, Subaru is using the new Subaru Super Coolant (SSC) in its vehicles. Blue in color, SSC requires no maintenance until the first replacement interval of 11 years/137,500 miles. The next replacement interval after that is 6 years/75,000 miles.

SSC can be mixed with Subaru Long Life Coolant; however, when mixed, the replacement interval must be followed for Subaru Long Life Coolant (30 months/30,000 miles).

Always refer to your Owner's Manual for complete information and have your vehicle inspected regularly.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

When reading paper copy at home I noticed this:

"Therefore, special care should be taken to use the proper grade oil and to monitor oil deterioration."

Does it mean that UOA (Used Oil Analysis) should be a part of regular maintenance?

I suspect SOA is trying to address turbo engines failures without addressing engine oil. I wish I knew why.

Krzys

Does it mean that UOA (Used Oil Analysis) should be a part of regular maintenance?

:lol: When you mention UOA to dealers they think you talk about UFO and that you are crazy. I even have been insulated by one saying I should go to performance shop not to them if I care about my car so much :rolleyes:

Coming in next month's Drive Magazine:

Important: A drive to work, school, or WaWa requires an oil and oil filter change immediately before and immediately after the event. Make sure to check other engine fluid levels as well.

:lol: When you mention UOA to dealers they think you talk about UFO and that you are crazy. I even have been insulated by one saying I should go to performance shop not to them if I care about my car so much :rolleyes:

You were insulted.

Dealer is isolated from knowledge ;-)

Krzys

PS mele63, Subaru dealers whould have been very happy if each turbocharged car they sell requires daily oil change. I just wonder how many would be sold. Even Ferrari would be cheaper to maintain then Subaru.

• 1 month later...
Quick question for everyone, dealership said they do not recommend synethic oil at all? Is that true? So I just use mobil1 5w30 for my first oil change, and now i just took it back to dealership to have them do it while i was there for some other issue(dashboard trim falling off) Like someone said on this forum, i wonder what the heck oil they use? u think they would use same oil on NA and turbos....i think those cost savings dealership dont care much about turbo or not...

They are idiots. Synthetic is the only way to go in these engines. 5w30 dino is way underspec'ed. If you really insist on dino use 10w40 and change every 3k miles.

Archived