LegacyGT.com

carbon fiber key cutout anyone?

OCDetails

I got bored and cut out a piece of thinly laminated carbon fiber and stuck it on part of my key. lol It was a slow day at work and I was bored. Anyway, I can cut out a few more if anyone is into that kind of thing. I also cut out a circle and replaced the round momo logo on my shift knob. Looks pretty good there too. Anyway, I thought I'd share.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/05-12-2006-055555PM.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I already tried that. I made a piece to replace that wire mesh part. I didn't like how it looked at all. For some reason I'm just not a fan of lots of carbon fiber in one place. It looks good as accents, but I can only take it in small doses.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I got bored and cut out a piece of thinly laminated carbon fiber and stuck it on part of my key. lol It was a slow day at work and I was bored. Anyway, I can cut out a few more if anyone is into that kind of thing. I also cut out a circle and replaced the round momo logo on my shift knob. Looks pretty good there too. Anyway, I thought I'd share.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/05-12-2006-055555PM.jpg

Where would someone get a thinly laminated carbon fiber sheet like that?

It looks nice. Plus the MOMO on the top of my shifter is scratched and this would make a nice cover.

You could buy it on ebay. Or you could buy the carbon fiber fabric and resin and make it yourself. For my Integra I made all sorts of things out of it. License plate frame, spark plug cover, wiper cowl, emblem, etc. Just little things to just accent the car. Typically I just took things that were already black to begin with and made something out of CF to replace it with.

What I did with this key piece was just run some of the fabric through a lamination thing at work that put the plastic on the top and sticky stuff on the back. Then I put a piece of paper on the back to help hold the fibers together and laminated it again. I put a piece of paper over the top so it wouldn't put two layers of the clear on the top but it would put another layer of sticky on the bottom. Then I cut it out a template traced from the key and cut out the carbon fiber. I could have used a piece of already cured material, but this was just easier and possible to do at work. I had some of the material sitting in my drawer so I figured why not...?

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived