LegacyGT.com

Car too quiet

pheonix991

I want my car louder. I have the borla headers, and borla muffler. I have stock cat+2 resonators(this is so I can pass CARB smog allegedly). What can I do to make the car louder? Would replacing the resonators with a straight pipe make it louder? Or, will I need to go catless? It doesn't matter to me, just need to know what to do. I'll be keeping my stock stuff so I can slap it back on and pass smog, then take it off again.

Add a HFC or track pipe. Then it will be loud.

CAI's also can be pretty freakin' loud. I had a 99' forester with borla headers-> stromung HFC pipe-> stromung catback , and an Injen CAI. Definitely fairly loud and rumbly, but the CAI noise would be louder than the full exhaust at WOT.

I used to have a 97 LGT and did some exhaust work on it. Unless your ride is Turbo , further reducing backpressure will hurt low end response. I tired of the droning sound and ended putting the resonators back on.

My friend used to have an '01 Outback with the 2.5. He thew on a cheap eBay CAI (no other exhaust work) and his car was loud as shit at WOT. It was a good kind of loud too, all engine noise! That would be my suggestion.

-Sergei

My 2.5RS sounded amazing with borla headers, stock cat, and borla catback w/ resonator. Put a straight pipe in place of one or both resonators, should make for a nice exhaust note...

Did you have one or two resonators?

I already have a short ram intake(it sounds great!)

I'm failing to understand why you want your car so loud. Are you trying to annoy the people around you or something? Whats the point?

He has an N/A car so he knows the potential for huge power gains is minimal, so he decided to go for being loud and noticed instead.

Did you have one or two resonators?

I already have a short ram intake(it sounds great!)

One resonator, a nice magnaflow, which sounded deep and aggressive with the Borla UEL header, stock cat and Borla CBE...

if your car looks good, you dont need to be loud to be noticed. People see it, they like it, if they HEAR it.. they wont like it. Its automatic. Noisy cars ruin the driving experience.

Theres only a few things that are annoying as hell in commuter traffic.. a car that has to make shittons of noise to move 2 feet forward sitting beside you for an hour in traffic, or some jerkoff with a loud bumping car stereo that wont turn it down when they slow down or get on peoples ass. I dont want to hear your car and I dont want to hear your music.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

what right does he have to drown out my stereo and ruin my ride with a bunch of noise that does NOTHING to help the car in anyway? It only contributes to the noise pollution we have enough of on the road. I work near a highway and day in and day out I have to hear car stereos and loud exhaust systems vibrating my building. Then I get in my car and try to go home and my radio is drown out by the same kind of noise. Its one thing to change out an exhaust at the purpose of increasing power, its far another to change out exhaust for the sole purpose of making the people around you hate you. Its childish and morally reprehensible at best to cause a disturbance for the sole purpose of attention. Who is going to look at you and go "wow.. that car making a ridiculous amount of noise sure is cool, I think I'm going to shower that person in gold and jewels."

I try to avoid "there aught to be a law" mindsets but if it were up to me aftermarket exhaust that is louder than stock would be illegal, car stereos would have to have mandatory speed limited attn. switches and the violation of noise ordinances as such would be strictly enforced. This is an issue of quality of life. You have to think about the effects of your actions beyond the seemingly pointless "need" for a vehicle to make more noise than it currently does. What is the end that this means accomplishes?

Making exhaust louder for the explicit purpose of making it louder is like me taking the muffler off my lawnmower.. it accomplishes nothing but the annoyance of everyone around me.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Hogzaust that beotch where the cat and mid pipe mate. that will make it loud :lol:;)

One resonator, a nice magnaflow, which sounded deep and aggressive with the Borla UEL header, stock cat and Borla CBE...

I've got some work to do! Thanks again guys.

darkfox1-I know exactly what you are talking about. Thing is, I want to be able to hear my car inside my car. Not at a super loud noise like some of my friends with wrx's have to suffer with, but, just a little louder. So, please stop telling me that my car is quiet enough when you have less than a 1/1,000,000,000 chance of hearing it.

I'm sorry, I dont mean to assault you verbally or anything (although I kinda did I spose :( ) but this is something I get very worked up about. You may notice in some of my other posts about neighbors combined with the stereos that vibrate my desk and work and the loud exhaust of a lot of the people around here.. it just really irks me nowadays to even hear people talking about making a car louder.

Cheapest way to be loud as hell is q-tec. It's a valve that you control that opens/closes the DP. Look on youtube for subaru's with open downpipes. Downsides: qtec can leak after a while and you can get boost creep.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Downpipes/images/prototype.jpg

His car is N/A, does the N/A exhaust system even have anything resembling a DP or do the exhaust headers just empty into...the exhaust?

Yeah, you can do it on an N/A car...problem is you'll probably end up losing torque.

Quite good for a turbo car in terms of potential power gains though. I mean, you're dumping exhaust right out of the car when it hits the downpipe lol. Very little restriction. Not as good for the environment lol.

But hey, if you're serious about fighting global warming (and causing smog instead), you won't use cats. (joke)

But who'd tune a car to run with the dp open. that's just impractical and too loud.

fun though...

Archived