LegacyGT.com

Car and Driver to do show on Legacy GT

Sorry if this is a repost. Found this while hitting up google for information on the Leg. [quote]Car and Driver Television What's On in September September 2004 September 18-19 It’s a shootout between the Acura TSX, Audi A4 1.8T, Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, and Volvo S40 T5 as we compare a quartet of 30 Grand Sporty Sedans. Plus, we’ll get behind the wheel of Jeremy Mayfield’s number 19 Nextel Cup car to find out what it’s like driving Nascar style[/quote]. Yeah, I'm definitely Tivo'ing this. :D

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Acura and Legacy will be at the top one of them not sure which. I wish it was wagons but I guess I'm happy just to see the Legacy at all up there.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='ssaldana']what day and time???[/quote] "CDTV is on SpikeTV at 12:30 PM (Eastern and Pacific) Saturdays and 11:30 AM (Eastern and Pacific) Sundays." [quote name='crapy']and post it plz... i don't have a TV at home.[/quote] Well, to do that I'd have to record it off Tivo onto a VCR and then convert the tape to digital. Quality aside, I don't have a VCR hooked up to Tivo nor do I have any means of converting a tape to digital. I'm sure someone here has a better setup.

Well if it's on the show then the test will be in the magazine too. Usually, the magazine comes out before the TV show. So, I'd suspect this comparo will be in the October issue that we should be out in the next couple days. My guess: 1. Legacy GT 2. Volvo S40 3/4. Audi 1.8T 3/4. Acura TSX Though the Acura has a nice interior, it's too small and too slow to win. The Audi has been out since 2002, so it's too old to win, and though the 1.8T is a nice engine, in the AWD Audi, it's also too slow. The Volvo has a shot at winning, but I'm sure it's not the AWD version because that would make it way above $30K for this comparo. So, it will be nice and score high, but with it's FWD and oversteering tendencies, and not as much power as the Legacy I can't see it taking top honors either, but they might like it for other reasons. So that leaves the Legacy. With the most power, AWD, nice interior, decent room, and other than the Volvo the only other brand new car in the test, it should take top performance honors. It'll top handling honors, and best bang for the buck honors as well. Though old, the Audi will surely be the winner in the interior department, followed by the Volvo and the Legacy and Acura about tied. The Volvo will score points for being the safest too. And though I loved the Audi A4's look, it isn't the freshest anymore. The Acura TSX's look faded quickly and now with the TL, they look to similiar. The Legacy will lose points in the looks department. I'll admit it isn't the eye catching "wow" that the Audi A4 drew when it came out. The new Volvo also isn't a design marvel, but I think it does have a step up in looks over the Legacy. That's the Legacy's only hinderance. If it's styling was a bit more daring and cutting edge, it would be a runaway victor in this test. I just can't see a Car magazine picking the others over the Legacy in the $28-30K price range. I also predict that Car and Driver won't get as good as performance numbers as they did for the Forester XT. But, I also think Car and Driver had a "ringer" in the XT because I also don't think they could duplicate those numbers, no other magazine test has even come close to those. I think we'll find out in the next couple days what the results are when it hopefully comes out in the magazine first. Can't wait to see. Finally a national magazine testing the Legacy GT. Better late than never!

I think the TSX is more likely to finish in the top two because of its fuel efficiency and luxury features for its price. Stock, it's probably the more nimble of the 3 fwd cars. I think it'd be a little more fair if they put the GT Limited in this comparison. Hope the lesser number of features in the GT will not be a problem. I wish the IS300 was in this as well =P

I think that the rankings for the results will be like this. 1/2. Subaru Legacy GT Ltd 1/2. Acura TSX 3. Audi A4 4. Volvo S4 T5 I would say that Subatu and Acura will be fighting it out for the top spot. The Subaru will definately be the better performer, but lest we forget that a TSX is about $4000 [b]less[/b] that the Legacy GT Ltd. No one ever said that the fastest car has to win. I think this one will be too close to call. The Audi will come in third behind the Japanese mainly because it is an Audi. It will have a nice interior, but it will be three things- the most expensive in the group (considering leather, metallic paint costs extra on the Audi A4), the heaviest in the group, and the most underpowered in the group. But its an Audi, so it will ooze luxury and panache, and its better than the Volvo. Ah, poor Volvo. No matter what they do they can never seem to leave the last place spot. The S40 looks great inside and out, but it will most likely be the second most expensive in the test, and the second heaviest. There will probably be problems with torque steer, and from personal experience, this car is SMALLLL.

Guest JessterCPA
Having both a TSX and a Legacy GT, let me tell you the differences. First off performance is a no-contest. The GT just smokes the TSX. And the TSX is not all that bad. Fuel mileage is actually quite close. I am dissapointed in both. The TSX interior is better. Seats, dash, and overall fit just feel better in the TSX. Actual features are quite close (6-disc, dual zone climate, etc..). The TSX just seems to pull them off better. AWD is an obvious edge to the Legacy. To be fair, the TSX performed admirably in this year's NJ winter. Handling is close. Both are lots of fun to chuck into a corner, but the AWD may give the GT an edge with it's oversteer-ability. I love both cars. When I drive the TSX, I wish it had the GT's power. When I drive the GT, I wish it felt like the TSX. Having been a prior owner of a S40, let's hope Volvo figured it out this time. That car was not even in the same class. I think the A4 1.8t is definately outclassed here, but C&D is very loyal to that car, and it may be the big surprise. Just my .02

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='eamiller']Lest we not forget that the TSX was on last year's 10 best list.. I bet it will do well against the pack.[/quote] I almost forgot about that.

True the Acura did get a 10 best but I still don't see it in the top two. It'll probably finish 3rd then. It really comes down to what options each has on it. Here's the base prices of each car: Acura TSX: $26,490 w/o NAV $28,490 with NAV Audi A4 1.8T $25,550 in FWD $27,750 in Quattro Subaru Legacy GT $28,495 in Limited form $25,900 (about) in base form Volvo S40 T5 $26,990 The Volvo and Audi's prices can EASILY shoot over $30K with option packages. And where these two finish will depend on those options and whether the Audi has Quattro or is just the FWD. Both the Audi and Volvo have Sport Packages that would REALLY change how they handle, without them they won't score high. The Acura and Legacy are pretty much stand alone. If the Legacy GT is a Limited (which I sure in a "$30K comparo" it most definitely would be) at around $29K it would only be marginally more expensive than the Acura TSX with NAV but have a HUGE performance advantage. Because of this, I just can't see the Acura finishing in the top spot. Especiall with 1/4 mile times around 16.0 seconds. The Audi will probably be that slow too. If the Audi and Volvo are optioned to keep the price close to the $30K mark, they won't get "penalized" for price yet have about the same options. Watch the test be done with all automatics...how sucky would that be? LOL

Based on MSRP with similar features, I think they'll use the front wheel drive versions of the A4 and S40. C&D always leans toward the performance, fun to drive and bang-for-the-buck factors. They mention fuel efficiency and safety to be PC, but performance wins the day. The TSX wins the bang-for-the-buck by a hair. The Legacy is a close second in this area, but gets the others by a good margin and thus wins the shootout. My biased opinion is that the Legacy wins in all 3 categories (hence my purchase). I had money in hand waiting for the 2005 TSX until I took a hard look at the Legacy GT and my happiness over the long haul. The front wheel drive and weak torque rating on the TSX were it's downfall (not to mention the attitude of the Acura dealers).

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Wa-gone'](not to mention the attitude of the Acura dealers).[/quote] Isn't that the truth. I had a horrible time at my local dealer. So much so that I had to get Acura Corporate involved, in which my regional manager asked if I could travel to another dealer to complete my transaction. The second dealer turned out to be awesome, but to go through all my problems initially was bad news.

The one Acura dealer I went to was great, while the salesperson at another seem sleepy. I tested the TSX 3 times, TL twice, and LGT 3 times. The TSX is a nice car. Conservative looking, quick, nice interior. It does turn heads, as does the TL but we won't talk about that here. The 2 times I went to Audi or VW I didn't get any attention. The Acura guy pampered me. Subaru was decent. I am eager to see the results. I guess for the LGT the downside might be that the interior is not as good as the others, and it's not great on gas. But it drives nicely!

[quote name='JessterCPA'][quote name='Wa-gone'](not to mention the attitude of the Acura dealers).[/quote] Isn't that the truth. I had a horrible time at my local dealer. So much so that I had to get Acura Corporate involved, in which my regional manager asked if I could travel to another dealer to complete my transaction. The second dealer turned out to be awesome, but to go through all my problems initially was bad news.[/quote] Mind if I ask which Acura dealership gave you a hard time? Before I got the Legacy I also had an Acura and am well versed in the dealerships in the area.

Archived