LegacyGT.com

Can't shift into 1st gear!

flyboy1649

So it has been really cold here, and I went to leave my house the other day, and Amber would not shift into 1st gear. I parked her in my garage last night, and then went to shift out of Reverse and into 1st again, and it would not go. Has this happened to anyone else? Also, even after the car warms up and my foot is off the clutch, she still shudders and shakes.

I am just throwing this out there because people on here are very smart when it comes to these cars. Also, I am putting this in the MT West thread because I figure you guys can relate to the cold. She is scheduled to go into the shop on Wed. so she can get looked over, but who knows. Amber, in case you are wondering is my 08 LGT w/5MT.

*awaiting results from the dealership*

:munch:

other than that, my 05 had weak sounding startup cranks in cold weather and my 07 apparently has the same issue. it doesn't affect what you are seeing, but still.

For your not being able to get into first gear issue, sounds like your first gear synchros are trashed.

Can you be more specific about what happens when you put try and put the car in first gear, it won't go in at all? Or will the tranny let you put the shifter in first and and then spit it out to neutral when you try and and let off the clutch and give it gas? Which would possibly indicate a bearing problem. What is your mileage on the vehicle?

For your not being able to get into first gear issue, sounds like your first gear synchros are trashed.

Can you be more specific about what happens when you put try and put the car in first gear, it won't go in at all? Or will the tranny let you put the shifter in first and and then spit it out to neutral when you try and and let off the clutch and give it gas? Which would possibly indicate a bearing problem. What is your mileage on the vehicle?

It won't let me even put it in first...I am sure if I forced it, I coul but I decided not to. It just rolled over 10,000 on Thanksgiving. Almost all of the mileage is from freeway driving. I am interested to see what the service department says. I went to leave this morning and it was tough getting it into first, but it went. I am just hoping I am not doing more damage!

And by the way, sucks about all your bad luck with your car!

How cold was it? It got to about 20 C and my clutch felt weird, and the tranny was weird to shift for a few minutes as well. But Nothing like your case.

Where I was it got down in to the high teens overnight, but when I left in the morning, it was in the low 20's. I felt the stiffness of the clutch and the other gears, but it would not go into first. I though it might have been one of those one time weirdities, but when it happened again, I figured I should take it in and have them check it out. Even after she warmed up, it still would not go into first. After about 20 or so minutes of driving it went into first, but I still had to semi-force it in.

i'm guessing you started car and then tried all this shifting without ever taking your foot off the clutch

1st sucks when the tranny is cold. you gotta double clutch it

Nope. I will always let the car run for a minute or so. I don't know if that helps or just one of those ol' wives tales.

Obviously when you can't put the shifter into first you let of the clutch peddle, then restep on it and try to put it in 1st again. :redface:

Given your situation 10k on the car, highway miles, you should not be having this problem. There is something wrong with your first gear, its not because of the temp. Have you had any incidents prior to the first gear failure that would lead to the failure, ie(redline dump the clutch into first when getting off the line)? Let us know how it pans out, have you set up an appointment with subaru.

Thanks for your concern by the way. My car still isn't out of the woods yet...

Tommy is right, it is a busted 1st gear synchro.

Had the same problem; the tranny was removed and split open and the synchro, and in my particular case, other gear sets, synchros, and bearings were replaced. luckily all covered by Subaru.

Mark Miller Subaru, Shane! They will take care of it for you under warranty. You could also go to Solid Autoworks and have JDM Extra-S fluid swapped in, but I would hit up the dealership first. My Outback and my LGT had issues going into first and I've already had my synchros replaced... The JDM fluid helps out tremendously.

Mark Miller Subaru, Shane! They will take care of it for you under warranty. You could also go to Solid Autoworks and have JDM Extra-S fluid swapped in, but I would hit up the dealership first. My Outback and my LGT had issues going into first and I've already had my synchros replaced... The JDM fluid helps out tremendously.

First: Welcome back! When do we drive again, Amber is itchin to go fast again...

Second: Yeah she is going to Mark Miller all day Wednesday and hopefully the problem will re-create there. I will let everyone know what/if they find anything.

I have been having this same problem since the first day I started her below 30 degrees. (around 5000 mi). She shifts into first just fine after warming up the motor a bit. Is this really something that needs to be looked at or is it just something that comes with the car?

Its ok if you have to pump the clutch a couple of times and retry to get it into gear but if you can't physically shift it into gear after a few attempts when its cold you need to get it checked out at the dealer. Especially if it is happening every morning you when you get into your cold car.

so I picked her up from the dealership today and it was no glory.....I let them keep her overnight in hopes that they would be able to recreate the problem she was having, but no luck. Hopefully it was just a freak couple times and won't happen again! Thanks for the input.

so I picked her up from the dealership today and it was no glory.....I let them keep her overnight in hopes that they would be able to recreate the problem she was having, but no luck. Hopefully it was just a freak couple times and won't happen again! Thanks for the input.

Isn't it weird how cars (mostly mine) never have the problems once you get to the dealer. There are no rattles or funny noises. The car starts right up and runs perfect until you get home or start it up the next morning.:p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived