LegacyGT.com

Can't get Fumoto valve on my 05 GT.

Those things are over rated and complete crap. You have to use one or more spacers to get the orientation right. They leak from the top of the peacock valve if you don't. Once in, the lip created just inside the drain hole keeps the last bit of oil from draining completely. Add your issue.... You're not missing anything... but you are going to have to unbolt that shield to get it on. Some love them... I gave up on those things years ago.

After thinking about it more, why is that piece so close ?

I'll be putting my drain valve on my 05 after work tonight. When I put one on the 09 I had no issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't have that problem on my 07, and my friends with 05s didn't either. I probably would have wiped off the oil from the pan before installing the valve, though. That clearance looks really close, and I don't even remember seeing anything in that position on my car?

It doesn't leak at all, and it makes the changes much easier. As for not draining all the oil, I still have to put the same amount in the car, and it's not like every last drop of old oil is drained every single time you change your oil anyway.

I never understood the thought process of those fancy oil extractors and drain valves. Takes 30 seconds to take the drain plug out.... not worth $30 in my mind. Unfortunately, my drain plug is stripped thanks to the PO, so I might just replace it with the valve depending on the cost of a new drain plug.

These are 6,000,000 times better.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/

Do people really change their oil with extractors? I've got a nice electric extractor that I use to change the oil in my boat engine. Works well, is fairly quick and very clean. But this requires both straight unobstructed access to the bottom of the drain pan through the dipstick tube and knowledge of tube-to-pan exact length of tube to insert into the dipstick. Really doesn't seem like the best way to do it unless the engine was designed to be maintained that way.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

If you do a search, you'll find that others have also run into this problem. I think one person slightly jacked up their engine to get the clearance to install it.

Edit: Here's a couple of those threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2798570&postcount=26

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fumoto-drain-valve-install-problemsi-14446.html

If you do a search, you'll find that others have also run into this problem. I think one person slightly jacked up their engine to get the clearance to install it.

Yeah, that was a thought after I had put the plug back in and filled the case with oil.. I remember I could shift the motor a decent amount using a crowbar to do the plug change.. Should have tried that with the fumoto..

I'll check those threads and try that next time. Thanks!

Do people really change their oil with extractors? I've got a nice electric extractor that I use to change the oil in my boat engine. Works well, is fairly quick and very clean. But this requires both straight unobstructed access to the bottom of the drain pan through the dipstick tube and knowledge of tube-to-pan exact length of tube to insert into the dipstick. Really doesn't seem like the best way to do it unless the engine was designed to be maintained that way.

I first bought mine when my wife got a Jetta TDI. It requires removal of the skidplate to remove the drain plug. They do get the oil out, and work quickly. It's a bit less effective on the legacy since you have to pull the filter from the bottom, but it still makes it a cleaner job.

I pulled the drain plug on the legacy and my landcruiser after the first time I drained the oil with it and nothing came out, so they do work.

Obviously Larry's car was in a major front end accident and it was poorly repaired. Car probably had a salvage title and passed through a couple podunk states to get a clear title. I wonder what else is FUBARed on this car.
It is still ugly.

Obviously Larry's car was in a major front end accident and it was poorly repaired. Car probably had a salvage title and passed through a couple podunk states to get a clear title. I wonder what else is FUBARed on this car.

Haha.. Well that's not true, but good detective work :)

It has had the rear bumper cover replaced, that's the only body work I could find on it. Everything else is straight and toight.. Like a toigah.

Obviously I'm not the only one that had this happen.. It appears it's hit or miss on them. Who knows.

Archived