LegacyGT.com

Can you get more mph out of a gear if you are modded?

Can a modded car get a higher speed at redline than an unmodded car? Say a stock LGT vs a Stg2 LGT, (Hypothetically if they had the same redline say 7k here) wouldn't they both hit 61mph and have to shift?

Would the faster car get a higher speed due to the quicker acceleration in gear? I Say although one is quicker they both shift at 61 mph.

Few cars are able to reach the redline in top gear, so power usually boosts top speed. Unless there's a speed limiter.

To go faster at the same RPM you've got to change either the gear ratio, the final drive, or the size of the tires. My Protege5 is currently modded to go about 2% faster at the redline in each gear. I couldn't get snow tires in the stock 195-50/16 size, so I had to get 205/50/16s.

Yeah, I probably should have gone the minus one route, as narrower tires are better for snow, but the original tires were to the tread bars anyway and I didn't feel like getting a second set of wheels. Unless they're 17s for the next set of summer tires...probably won't do that either.

Ok so what I don't understand is how I am able to hit 102 MPH at redline in my now protuned LGT in 3rd gear when I never could touch that before.

And I am not accelerating THROUGH the gears. I am starting low in 3rd and then romping it to redline.

Like when you log you do a 3rd gear 2-7k romp in 1 gear

Stock I could hit more then like 90mph in 3rd. Now I can hit 102 at the limiter.

Note* I am 5EAT and rev limiter was only increased by 100 RPM not like MT where it is now 7k

Automatics can be different. I do not believe that the torque converter will lock up at such high speeds. If this is the case, you have a fluid coupling, and more power might get more speed. I'm not really sure, lots of variables with an open torque converter. The 100 RPM bump also contributes.

would a flywheel have an impact on how fast a car is revving?

no, just how responsive the revs are.. (how quick the engine rev up, or back down)

the only thing (in a manual transmission) that can effect it are gear ratio's, final drive ratio, or tires. (you could argue that by slipping the clutch you can effect it as well, but, uh.. thats sutpid)

In an automatic, you've got the torque converter which is another story all together.

Yeah see if you can hit 104-105 in 3rd and you have more HP TQ then me and I am only hitting 101-102 then it must be a 5EAT thing

That is good new for us at the track then, we should be able to hold higher MPH in gears then and possibly cross the 1/4 mile in 3rd now.

Previously I was in 4th crossing the line @ 93 MPH

Maybe now I can cross screaming in 3rd at like 100

at that high of RPM you're torque converter should be at full lock up (i'd assume)

perhaps the difference in speeds you're seeing are also due to variance in speedometer accuracy (the difference between 105 and 101 is within that +-2% range of accurancy.

Archived