LegacyGT.com

caliper leak -> upgrade options

hotrodwagon

So - my calipers started leaking badly around the piston o-rings at Laguna Seca this weekend. I'm not surprised, even though I've only been to about a dozen track days. I have upgraded rotors, lines, fluid, and pads, and the only reason I didn't go for calipers was the lack of fitment with the stock rims. Two questions:

1. Has anyone with stock calipers had leaks?

2. As of this date, are there any other calipers that that work with stock size rotors but fit under the stock rims, like maybe the '04 STi calipers?

tia,

-scott

So - my calipers started leaking badly around the piston o-rings at Laguna Seca this weekend. I'm not surprised, even though I've only been to about a dozen track days. I have upgraded rotors, lines, fluid, and pads, and the only reason I didn't go for calipers was the lack of fitment with the stock rims. Two questions:

1. Has anyone with stock calipers had leaks?

2. As of this date, are there any other calipers that that work with stock size rotors but fit under the stock rims, like maybe the '04 STi calipers?

tia,

-scott

You probably have about 2 days more than I do for track miles.. mine isn't leaking at all, no signs of it anywhere whatsoever.. what tires are using and how hard are you braking??

Btw, http://www.racingbrake.com makes calipers and a two-piece rotor kit that can fit under stock wheels.

Keefe

Keefe,

I'm running Dunlop SP SuperSport Race tires and Carbotech Panther pads - that combo gives me huge amounts of stopping power. I usually don't brake that hard (to the threshold of locking up) on the track, but I suppose some excess stress is from braking in corners I shouldn't need to once I become a better driver!

Keefe,

I'm running Dunlop SP SuperSport Race tires and Carbotech Panther pads - that combo gives me huge amounts of stopping power. I usually don't brake that hard (to the threshold of locking up) on the track, but I suppose some excess stress is from braking in corners I shouldn't need to once I become a better driver!

do you have suspension work on the car as well? sometimes with all that momentum forward is really asking a lot of the calipers to stop the rotors from rotating.. and if you have a high biting pad with a hard initial stomp on the brakes, it's possible that there is a slight tolerance in the brake pads shifting around and the pistons trying to hold onto them that there might be a slight chance that shifting of the brake seals may occur (that's why there is an invention of 4 pistons, just in case 2 failed, you still have two more to stop you).

Here's the link for the BBK kit for the Legacy from RB, it's definitely more affordable:

http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2037-211-411.htm

http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2014-311-411-39.htm

I think BoxrPwr and Sandwood use the 2-piece rotor BBK kit from them.. currently I am just using their OEM replacement slotted rotors right now for testing. Most likely I will also step up to the 2-piece rotor set up as well for more dedicated track use for my GT in the future.

Look into racing brake as those are designed to fit under stock rims. I think you can also get the Subaru 4 pots, but both cases are you going to end up using different brake pads and and they are both going to shift a little bit of the brake bias to the rear (as it's been proclaimed here on the boards).

Keefe

do you have suspension work on the car as well? sometimes with all that momentum forward is really asking a lot of the calipers to stop the rotors from rotating.. and if you have a high biting pad with a hard initial stomp on the brakes, it's possible that there is a slight tolerance in the brake pads shifting around and the pistons trying to hold onto them that there might be a slight chance that shifting of the brake seals may occur (that's why there is an invention of 4 pistons, just in case 2 failed, you still have two more to stop you).

Here's the link for the BBK kit for the Legacy from RB, it's definitely more affordable:

http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2037-211-411.htm

http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2014-311-411-39.htm

I think BoxrPwr and Sandwood use the 2-piece rotor BBK kit from them.. currently I am just using their OEM replacement slotted rotors right now for testing. Most likely I will also step up to the 2-piece rotor set up as well for more dedicated track use for my GT in the future.

Look into racing brake as those are designed to fit under stock rims. I think you can also get the Subaru 4 pots, but both cases are you going to end up using different brake pads and and they are both going to shift a little bit of the brake bias to the rear (as it's been proclaimed here on the boards).

If any of the 2,4,6,8 pistons fail (dosent matter) you will lose all braking power. 4 pistons do not mean redundancy since they are on the same braking circut. Hydraulic fluid will leak out of the piston with the least restistance (the leaky one) Thus is how hydraulics work.

They are connected in a circut with only the crossover at the distribution block that seperates the two paralell diagonal braking circuts.

Archived