LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter- Simple install???

There is a great walk thru on the site detailing the install of the cabin air filter. On my Toyota Sienna, it is as simple as popping out the glove box, and reaching in!! However, on my Suby, it appears from the walk thru that we must start dis-assembling the car from the rear of the center console, and move forward, removing several items until we finally get to the left side of the glove box....hardly convenient. However, I have found instructions on this site http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchFree.jsp?publication_type=12&text_keyword=&keyword=&free_pub=13 for the filter kit applicable to the Leg2005 forward, indicating that we only have to remove the right side glove box cover, disconnect the strap, remove a clip, and voila!!!!! remove the glove box...that's right, remove the glove box is step four. In step four of the walk thru, we are still drinking enough beer to work up the nerve to rip apart half the car to get up to the glove box....OK, I exagerate a bit.

Can anyone who has actually installed (or changed) the cabin air filter in a 2005-06 confirm that it is infact possible to remove the glove box without dis-assembling the interior items from the rear of the center console forward to the left side of the glove box, or are the Subaru instructions way off base.

Do a careful search. There were some 05's before a particular VIN number that do not have the crudely cut access panel. In that case, yes, it is a pita to change the filter. If your car is newer than the access panel will be there but it is still a minor pita to change the filter.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since someone posted here.

I just looked in my glove box and I do see the three main screws and a mesh cloth type substance in the back.

Is the filter back there?

Do I just need to unscrew those three screws and the filter will be right there?

How much is this part from Subaru?

Should I substitute for something else?

Any info would help.

Thanks

I had to install mine a while back. My LGT is an 05 that had the place for a filter so I didnt have to install the whole kit. The only problems I ran into is that you're taking apart and putting back together a whole lot of plastic parts. i put a small crack in one of the panels and broke one of the plastic plug thing-a-ma-bobbers. But other than that it takes about 15 minutes. You dont have to take apart the whole center console - the glove box will come out without all the trouble.

Hey,

I just finished my cabin filter install.

I bought a nice 3M filter from Walmart for $6.00.

Should get 6 filters out of it so $1.00 per filter is pretty good!

It didn't take much time at all.

However, I forgot about one of the plastic peices and wodnered why it wasn't fitting. Nearly broke the thing off. Then I had to use some sealant and reinforce it.

I hate when that happens. But glove box is back on and cabin is dust free.

OH...29k miles and it was pretty dirty with a few small leaves as well.

I was surprised.

• 6 years later...

Archived