LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter

Scotty

Decided I to change the cabin air filter today. Been about 6 months. Man that filter was pretty black. Had the usual leaves and what not in there also.

I've been making my own filter so it cost next to nothing. I've put a piece of the original filter just for comparison. Most of the leaves fell out when I took it out of the holder.

893529203_airfilter.JPG.9cae73c6d7ac3f7fd9711254cfb4f6ed.JPG

Yep. The first one I pulled out of my Forester after 12 months knocked my socks off. I couldn't believe how black it was. It made me thankful I had one because that's what I'd be breathing :eek:

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• 1 month later...

There's a few things to look for. Open the glove box. Are there three screws at the top(but below the cubby for the owner's manual that no one ever reads)? At the back of that, you should also be able to see a fabric cover. If you don't have either of these things, you don't have the retrofit kit.

If you pull out the owner's manual cubby, you can actually move the filter tray out a 1/4" to see the air filter if there is one.

No favorites, just whatever was the highest rated air filter from the hardware store. Even a really large one will cost you $20 which you can make quite a few from. The OEM filter is something like $40.

I thought the retrofit kit is about $120? It's still PITA to change it, but at least you don't have to remove half the dash to get to it.

Yeah, I was planning on hitting Home Depot later and see what they have. I looked at the directions for removing just the glove box components to get to the filter. Doesn't seem too bad and looks alot better then some of those hacked retrofit jobs the dealerships put together.

Cheers,

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived