LegacyGT.com

buy replacement plastic engine cover?

OCDetails

Just curious where one would purchase a replacement cover for the engine. I'm considering having mine painted for show. I've seen it done on several other types of cars with large engine covers and it looks really good. More than likely I'm not going to be using high temp engine paint for the color I want, so I need to find a replacement one to use for the rest of the time. Any ideas on cost of such a replacement?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/ScoobyEngine.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

i'm under the impression that the cover is mostly for show as it is -- so you could run the engine without it when you're not showing it -- then pop it on when you want to show it.

could be wrong though.

Thats what I thought too, but it looks like the bottom of the hoodscoop seals with the trim around the intercooler inlet, forcing all the air from the scoop to hit the intercooler.

So, who knows if its really that important, but it is at least somewhat functional.

Functional or not, I would prefer to have a replcement cover for when I'm not using the painted one. If nothing else then it is an added heat barrier between the engine and the hood.

OCDETAILS BLOG

And with that we have a price. $88 bucks, eh? I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks so much for posting that part number. That helps a lot.

OCDETAILS BLOG

painted engine covers are awesome. I did mine myself, and eventually will do this on my XT. $99 for that cover is not bad...the Audi ran closer to $220 if I wanted to replace them. I did not, so I just painted the original ones and left it alone. before and after pics...different angles, but you get the idea. That was a fun little project, well worth it in my book.

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album60/OEM.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album60/finishedfront.jpg

$83.54 here... That's the very cheapest I can find it. Parts.com is a good resource if you have a part number. It links to several dealerships and other sites that can supply you quotes with a part number.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Here are some of the cars that inspired me to do this. I'm thinking of perhaps just painting it the factory color. I don't know if that would clash too bad though. I need to find a photoshop guru to do the engine cover factory Regal Blue for me...

OCDETAILS BLOG

painted engine covers are awesome. I did mine myself, and eventually will do this on my XT. $99 for that cover is not bad...the Audi ran closer to $220 if I wanted to replace them. I did not, so I just painted the original ones and left it alone. before and after pics...different angles, but you get the idea. That was a fun little project, well worth it in my book.

What an amazing difference. Overall, how much effort to do this? Visually, it looks so well worth the effort to dress up the engine compartment.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If I do a good job on the painting then I might not have to replace it. ;) I just need to decide on a color now. Body matched covers look really good, but with the amount of black under the hood already I'm thinking that a really glossy black might look good too. Decisions decisions.... Maybe I'll just buy another one and use it as a mold to fabricate a carbon fiber one. Now there is an idea....

OCDETAILS BLOG

What an amazing difference. Overall, how much effort to do this? Visually, it looks so well worth the effort to dress up the engine compartment.

SBT

was not that much effort overall, just time taping, pin striping, and multiple coats of clear coat to protect. I think I took aout 4 days to do it, as I did not want to rush the process. I put down 5 coats of high temp silver, then pulled the masking off the black areas, then put down the blue striping, then did the high temp engine clear over it all. I kept the covers when I sold the car, as I want to hang them on the wall of my new garage when the house is done being built....hehe. :cool:

That is a nice site. Too bad so much of it is in flash. Even the website translation services won't sort out Flash. Thanks for that link! I'm going to see what they've got...

OCDETAILS BLOG

I got plenty more of those kinds of JDM sites if you are looking for that kind of asthetics stuff.. remember, Japan love to add "style" *cough* rice *cough* to whatever they drive.

You know that little mirror blinker cover for the LED? I have a site in my favorites at home that has over 15 different colors tinted for that LED portion, of which 4 of them are different shades of gray.

Keefe

Keefe

lol Yeah, coming from the Honda world I am fully aware of the JDM style of 'style'. They only make it because crazy American teens will buy anything with oriental writing on it just so they have a reason to say 'JDM'.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
funny, when i mentioned painting my cover months ago everybody was against it.

must have been ahead of my time.

go figure :rolleyes:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/cover2.jpg

I'm still with you- I don't like the painted look.

Archived