LegacyGT.com

Bug deflector for 05 GT Turbo?

The way a bug deflector works is by pushing the airstream above the windshield thus pushing bugs up and over...why would you want to divert the airflow from your IC like that?

edit: Clearbra is your friend. A bit more expensive, but if done well, will save you in the long run.

The way a bug deflector works is by pushing the airstream above the windshield thus pushing bugs up and over...why would you want to divert the airflow from your IC like that?

edit: Clearbra is your friend. A bit more expensive, but if done well, will save you in the long run.

:confused: we talking about the one that sits flush to the car?? I've not noticed any difference in having mine on.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

+1 on the clear bra - made by 3m. not really cheap, but works great and doesnt take away from the look (unless you have a black car and the bug deflector isnt really even seen)

bug deflector is not recommended for turbo legacy models unless they have redesigned it recently and changed that disclaimer in the brochure (i will look tonight or tomorrow morning for confirmation)

^^ Yeah, pretty sure about that too. no way this thing is deflecting air over my scoop.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I haven't been able to see an upclose picture.. but I will be the first to admit I'm wrong. I know the general principle is what I explained... for the GT, I would imagine there's still a reasonable amount of airflow to the scoop, but my thought is the primary method is to push the air up not necessarily over straight off, but begin the upward momentum and use the aerodynamics from the windshield to finish the job.

email received from SOA on the bug deflector:

my email to them:

I wanted to double check on this, but is it correct that the bug

deflector is not recommended for the Turbo Legacy/Outback models? I had

read it previously about it not being for those models (probably because

it might redirect airflow away from the intercooler scoop in the hood),

but wanted to verify this to be sure. Thanks!

RESPONSE:

Hello Seth:

Good Morning!

Yes, we do not offer hood protectors (bug deflectors) for

our turbocharged models, as they may interfere with the proper airflow

into the hood scoop. WOW - this is the easiest email that I think I

have ever had the pleasure of responding to, as you had all of the

information already!!!

Have a great day Seth and please let me know if I can be of any

assistance in the future.

I just had the 3M sticker/clear bra installed on my car last week. It looks great and it covers way more than a bug deflector. Also, there is a 5 year warranty with it in case it has any type of defect. It is probably the most costly option though.

i just emailed him to ask.

In the picture below (in the brochure) that one looks different than some of the others i have seen. some of the others have a little lip that points upwards. that one in the picture does not. that makes me think either they have revised the design to allow for the turbo models to have this available in using just one design to fit turbo and non turbo models or they are now making turbo model specific ones.

the previous ones had a raised lip on the windshield side of the deflector.

email received from SOA on the bug deflector:

my email to them:

I wanted to double check on this, but is it correct that the bug

deflector is not recommended for the Turbo Legacy/Outback models? I had

read it previously about it not being for those models (probably because

it might redirect airflow away from the intercooler scoop in the hood),

but wanted to verify this to be sure. Thanks!

RESPONSE:

Hello Seth:

Good Morning!

Yes, we do not offer hood protectors (bug deflectors) for

our turbocharged models, as they may interfere with the proper airflow

into the hood scoop. WOW - this is the easiest email that I think I

have ever had the pleasure of responding to, as you had all of the

information already!!!

Have a great day Seth and please let me know if I can be of any

assistance in the future.

Well then,whats this I see in their accessory brochure?

1367548704_hoodprotector.thumb.jpg.d0547cd110ae724fd0f852022ec36f41.jpg

ok. i asked SOA about it and here is the reply:

Hello Seth:

You are welcome even though I was wrong. I should have looked into what

you were asking instead of just assuming you were correct. I mean

absolutely no disrespect to you. I am so bogged down with work that I

just got a little excited that you seemed to have the answer and I did

not have to do any work. I should not have done that and I am very

sorry.

Yes, that part is the hood deflector for a 2007 Legacy 2.5GT model. We

do not offer them for our WRX models.

Thanks for following-up with me Seth!

On a side note, was considering if a deflector would be worth it or not, or if it would detract from the car. Mine is a DGM '08. Anybody with pics?

My wagon had one on it when I bought it, the second I got home from my 7 hour drive home I took it off. You cant really see it on a darker car, I did notice there were no chips on the edge of the hood, but they started right where the deflector ended lol.

http://amykdean.com/albums/New-Subie/4_G.sized.jpghttp://amykdean.com/albums/New-Subie/3_G.sized.jpg

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Here is a pic of my unibrow front end. I've had it on since 05. Not a single chip on the hood so far. The deflectors for the GT only sit about 2mm off the hood in the middle. You just have to take it off a few times a year and clean and wax what's under it.

LGT1.jpg.8ee50748235376d9b2d91585c2572672.jpg

Let's kick this pig!

Look up googalash's pictures. He's got a silver 05 GT sedan with a Subaru bug deflector. Doesn't seem to have any issues, even running most of Rallitek's AVO parts off of their old project Legacy.

sexy is right I have the deflector on my car its the same as qikslvr has and I have a stage 2 car and have no issue with. IMO it makes a great place to put stickers.

Guess I'm a little late to this thread, but I have had one on my '05 GT wagon for over 2 years. I think it looks good with Atlantic Blue Pearl.

I've always thought of it more as being a shield for the leading edge of the hood instead of an actual deflector. Like MSPRO said, I have gotten a couple of dings farther up on the hood toward the windshield.

gt1.jpg.0c7d9d7240e3b684d3fae0b962018dce.jpg

gt2.jpg.2202a1ad8425690e0fbdaaa288503ba0.jpg

gt3.jpg.2a02b25166b23e6525445cdf971e8cf5.jpg

I've been running Stage2 plus all year and had no issues this summer when the average temp was 92F for 3 months. Again, the design of the one for the turbo dips in the middle and only sits a couple mm off the hood. If I were to change anything; it would be to have the deflector painted to match the car, but then it would chip and look like total crap.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived