LegacyGT.com

Bucking Problems

Rizzo

2009 3.0R with 4200 miles on her.. for a few months now as I'm in 'S' mode on the Si-drive coming up a slight grade from flat road conditions at around 30-40mph, my legacy starts to buck like crazy! Almost feels like it refuses to downshift from 5th to 4th but doesn't have the torque to take that grade in 5th gear. Brought it to service and they flashed the transmission module.. still bucks. Took it to service again and they say it's the adaptive driving learning more than one driver but is normal.. still bucks! Called SOA and they said next time a Subaru Rep. is at the dealership, I'll get to drive them around to show what I mean. Already had the sales manager in the car and he said, "that's definitely not normal, call SOA". So next month I'll come back to update this post but until then if anyone else has this 'bucking' problem, feel free to add your thoughts. Also has an idle issue.. upon cold start the engine until warmed up to running temp has sharp rpm drops that shake the car like it's misfiring/hesitating. Don't know if this is related to bucking while driving but also a problem!

• 1 month later...
Quick update on bucking problem.. Subie Rep was in local dealership this past Tuesday. He wasn't even made aware of my problem from customer relations people so I got no phone call from them about his visit. The sales manager happened to see him in the service area and made him aware of the entire situation. He said there is a fix involving the torque converter in the transmission. Not sure if it's added, replaced or an upgraded part but service manager called me to let me know it will be ordered and he'll call me to schedule the service. Will take a couple days and SOA will provide loaner car, of course. I'll post final results in a couple weeks when done and I've had time to drive around to verify this fix works.

Tech bulletin 16-74-09.. seems to be a wider spread problem than I first thought with other Subie models involved. All done on my car and seems to be running great, so far.

5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration. Bulletin Description: If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.

Day after I got my car back, same issue still felt while driving to work. Called service manager who then called customer rep and informed SOA that problem was not fixed. Now they want me to take the service manager for a ride with laptop hooked up to record what goes on when the shudder is felt. He better be buying lunch. Between the re-flashing of the transmission module and this torque fix.. I don't know which has jacked the tranny up the most but it shifts like crap! SOA should just buy it back to do research but don't think I'll be that fortunate. I can feel a 'trade-in' coming real soon.

I was told the 'adaptive driving' had to be reset in the transmission control unit. This was done with a laptop and software the service department had to purchase. They just flash everything back to factory standards and this was done as a first and second attempt to fix the bucking problem. Only when I told them it didn't work did they come back with the torque converter fix and not sure if they flashed it again after installing new torque converter.

Obviously the 3.0R is an automatic and when I say 'shifts like crap'.. the shift points don't feel as smooth as when I first had it a year ago prior to the bucking onset, two flashes and torque converter replacement. Difficult to put it into words because it isn't one huge issue, just a bunch of little ones I can feel as I'm driving around.

Will be taking the Service manager around for a drive tomorrow and I'll post after he gets word back from SOA about what they plan on doing.

I had similar issues with my '02 5MT, and fixed it by replacing the front oxygen sensor. The car was running rich which impaired low-rpm driveability and fuel mileage. The low mileage without a CEL made it fairly obvious what was happening. You may have a bad sensor from the factory, but not as whacked as mine was.

• 2 weeks later...

Right.. oxygen sensor not the issue, service manager said he hasn't done one of those in 6-7 years and only on Legacy Wagon.

Service manager and I drove around with laptop hooked up and recorded bucking incidents. As soon as the car bucked he said, "I felt that". He said he was going to email results to SOA. Then the following Saturday he picked my car up and brought it to service to have re-learning done to computer module since car is still bucking and maybe was instructed to do so from SOA. Still bucked afterward.

Called SOA customer service and told them I was going to start PA lemon law proceedings. Within two hours of that call, service manager called me and said Rep would be in town on 10/01 to drive around with me and hook up laptop to record events.. 'again'.

A little past frustrated now but will drive Rep around and see what their proposed resolution will be.. unfortunately may cost them all my family's future business.

As a former contractor, I believe that problems will arise no matter what, so a company should be judged on how they remedy a problem.

I hope they do the right thing.

Got my TC changed and picked up the car Mon. Not enough driving yet for impressions, but I haven't hesitated/bucked yet.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised the Subaru Rep and service manager came out with laptop in hand to ride around with me and record bucking events. Rep acknowledged bucking as soon as it occurred and recorded maybe three incidents. The Si-Drive system does it in i-drive and Sport modes but in Sport sharp or S# mode the torque converter isn't ever engaged so no bucking. Rep explained it was the ECU trying to hold 5th gear for fuel conservation and the torque converter wouldn't disengage. He said he'd email the results to Subaru's engineers to see if they could come up with a software fix. Haven't heard a thing about a fix since then.

Have heard back from lemon law attorney though. Of course, Subaru will never admit there's a problem with the transmission.. their position is that it's operating within correct parameters and no safety issue is evident. We did come to a settlement which unfortunately didn't include them buying back the car. So, when I trade it in some poor unsuspecting used car buyer is gonna get a bucking headache. Not going to rule out Subaru completely for my next or future car but have to get this lemon taste out of my mouth.. maybe something German made next go around.

Since I had the Torque Converter replaced I haven't had the problem in mine once.

I can't even make it do it anymore, so it seemed to work for my problem. Looks like SOA's trying to take care of you, although I agree I'd kinda have a sour taste in my mouth ( no pun intended :redface: ).

Hope everything works out for you, keep us posted on the "software fix"

Side note: is the torque converter different in the 3.0R? Same tranny right?

You have the switchable Si-Drive in the LGT.. correct? When the Rep and service manager came to my house, they pulled in driving the Reps '09 Outback with the same Si-Drive tranny but the engine was turbo. The Rep said both cars have the exact same tranny and asked if I'd like to take the Outback for a drive to see if I could get it to buck. Told him "sure"! So I drove them on the exact same road we just had my 3.0R on and not even a hint of hesitation from his Outback. He said they didn't even do the torque converter replacement in it.

I'll be driving around in the S# mode a lot.. would love if they came up with a software fix but don't see it happening. At least not while I'm still in possession of the car (which is not going to be for long). You're correct though, I agree that SOA is at least working to smooth out the situation.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. The problem started when after driving for 35 min on the highway and stopped on a stop light. On a green signal, I accelerated and the following dashboard warning lights lit up:

Check engine, AT Oil temp, ABS, VSC Off display,

cruise flashing, shift displays "-"

Brought the car to the dealer and they said there was a problem with the transmission and they need to order some parts for it. Then after a day with the dealer the call me and said that the fix was with a new firmware on the transmission. Ever since then I get the bucking at the same speed 30-45mph around 1500 - 2200 rpm. I brought the car back to the dealer and they said that the diagnostic did not find any thing. I will be bring the car back for 5th service check so I will complain about it again and convey that I am not alone with the same problem. I have only drive 8530 mile since I got the 09 legacy,

I have the same problem. The problem started when after driving for 35 min on the highway and stopped on a stop light. On a green signal, I accelerated and the following dashboard warning lights lit up:

Check engine, AT Oil temp, ABS, VSC Off display,

cruise flashing, shift displays "-"

Brought the car to the dealer and they said there was a problem with the transmission and they need to order some parts for it. Then after a day with the dealer the call me and said that the fix was with a new firmware on the transmission. Ever since then I get the bucking at the same speed 30-45mph around 1500 - 2200 rpm. I brought the car back to the dealer and they said that the diagnostic did not find any thing. I will be bring the car back for 5th service check so I will complain about it again and convey that I am not alone with the same problem. I have only drive 8530 mile since I got the 09 legacy,

I feel your buckin' pain! You don't have too many options. 1. If you own and paid cash or only have a little left to pay.. trade it in! So far there's no fix and mine still does the same thing unless I drive in sport sharp mode all the time. 2. There are laws to protect auto consumers in many states. Pursue your rights under those laws! 3. If you lease.. still pursue your rights under consumer laws and ride out the buck until lease end or end the lease early and pay penalty.

Archived